“Local's guide to Cape May County” 3 of 5 stars

1216 Route 109, Cape May, NJ 08204-5221
609-884-7288
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
“Local's guide to Cape May County”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I've been to the Captain's Cove at the foot of the bridge into Cape May quite a few times. It's a trip! I actually do not mind the decor - honky tonk at best. Waitresses in tee-shirts and jeans. Hostess doing cross-word puzzles. That stuff doesn't really bother me. It's actually quite interesting and rather eclectic. I've only been there for breakfast. It does a fair amount of trade in-season for box lunches and take out for the charter boats and fishing boats that dock just 50 feet away. It's as informal as can be, and the breakfast fare is standard and basic. We go there because it is quick (some places in- season are quite backed up) and it used to be pretty cheap. My last time there I was a little surprised that the bill for sausage, home fries and two eggs with coffee came to over $8. Service was not bad; I'm a local and I like hanging out at fisherman bars and local joints. My waitress was fun, and had a great sense of humor. But all in all, I make better home fries, and for about the same price, you can get a better breakfast it you want to drive into town, or west cape may. For those staying in the Marina area, or just outside of town, it's quick and OK. Otherwise, shop around. But....there's no lines so if you're in a hurry. give it a try.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Find another place to eat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

We should have known this place wasn't going to be spectacular when we placed drink orders and my brother ordered a ginger ale. Waitress said they dont have it but we could see it in the soda cooler. He also was sat underneath the a/c fan which dropped condensation on him until he finally moved his seat. My dad ordered a clam strip app and we just got sandwiches. Somehow it took 25 minutes before our sandwiches came out and we were one of three tables in there. The clam strips came out about five minutes later and were a joke. Restaurant overlooks the water and they were clearly Thawed and defrosted. Tartar sauce that came with them was white, yellow and green. My dad sent it back and the lady who had previously just smoked a cigarrette on the restaurants patio said she had just made it. It was going bad anyone could see that. Like other reviews said the decor is terribly outdated, service is barely acceptable and food is nothing special. Save yourself the time and money and eat somewhere else.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Neptune, New Jersey
“Great Little Joint for Breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

The menu is very limited - it only has the basics. The servers are nice, but if you tell them to take their time, you will never get out of the place. The food was good. I had pancakes with sausage. The breakfast sausage was not the kind I was used to - they take a large sausage link, cut it in half, and serve it flat. I could have done without the sausage. Prices are reasonable. The decor and atmosphere are pretty shabby, and parking is limited. Overall, a good bang for your buck if you don't mind outdated 70's decor and basic breakfast.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Inexpensive and not crowded for breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This place is great for breakfast. They have the standard options. What's nice is it is near the bridge going into and out of Cape May, and not right in Cape May. This way it's not too crowded. Sometimes you'll see fisherman hanging out which is always fun.

Visited May 2012
Philadelphia
“The BEST French Toast in the World!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

If you are looking for a great place for breakfast, check out Captain's Cove in Cape May. It is a little Sea Side restaurant with great atmosphere. I kind of felt like I was in the movie "The Perfect Storm" Fisherman in and out. Anyway, this French Toast was so good I am still dreaming about it. My girlfriend had an omlette and all that comes with it. She absolultely loved it. Oh yeah, they only accept CASH! There is an ATM machine in there in case you get stuck. Other than that - everything is perfect. (It's right across from the Lobster House if you aren't sure where to find it.)

• Visited August 2011