“The best” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 108 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Description: Original Southwestern Cuisine:Our kitchen offers true Mexican dishes as well as original creations borrowing from Native Americans, the American southwest, Central and Sout America.Vegetarians and vegans are not an afterthought and can find variety with our menu. And non chile-heads find plenty to chose from. Our food is made fresh and prepared using the healthiest techniques and ingredients.Enjoy our shaded patio or cozy dining room. Let our friendly staff guide you to a meal that might surprise you.
Cape May, New Jersey
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

When you want different, authentic, creative, fresh, and personalized, look no further! The food at Geckos is like no other Tex-mex, southwestern, etc I have had anywhere. I am not a vegetarian, but I will order vegetarian dishes here and love it! I always enjoy the specials but out of 6 years of eating here, I have never had a bad dish and the owner/operator vibe is one that I try to mimic in my own business just because it is that good of an experience. Relaxed and happy on a summer afternoon or in the spring when they first open is excellent. I dont want to give them a good rating because they are already so successful I once stopped in for dinner and was told there was a two hour wait- Im local, sorry, I dont wait. I do however bide my time and come back when it is less busy. If you gotta wait, do it, you owe it to yourself to eat at this exceptional small restaurant.

Visited August 2012

“Great Southwest in Cape May”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a great little byob. When in the mood for Southwest food, head to Gecko's. Have not had a bad meal here yet.

Visited September 2012
Glen Allen
“Dining al fresco that's acceptable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We go here every time we're in town. The food is usually delightful, and the service usually just average. It's hit or miss, really. Sometimes, like with the black bean cakes, it's a definite hit. Then others, like the crab burritos, a big fat miss. But we'll continue to go because the cuisine is creative, the nearby art is engaging, and the al fresco dining is pleasant.

Staten Island, New York
“Monday Night Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Thsi restuarant takes Mexican food to a whole new level. You could have the ususal, or branch out and have something different. It's a wonderful meal.

Jersey City, New Jersey
“Unexpected Treat in Cape May, NJ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Visiting Cape May on a whim and not wanting the ubiquitous, typical beach/ bar restaurant fare, my husband and I settled on Gecko’s for lunch and couldn’t have been happier. We were pleasantly surprised by the inventive menu featuring fresh, non-traditional ingredients prepared in a unique Southwestern style.

My foodie husband ordered the Ute (Lamb) Taco, which wasn’t a traditional American-style taco, but nonetheless a very tasty dish of shredded, tender lamb with beans, tomatoes, and cheese served over puffy fried bread. He ate the entire huge portion and is still raving about it. Far more boring, I ordered a small house salad and was impressed with the freshness and balance of ingredients. Quality house salads are hard to come by, in my opinion. We also got the chips and salsa, which was pretty good (I prefer a spicier salsa), but I agree with other reviewers that the price is steep for something that’s typically complimentary at Mexican/ Latin restaurants.

We sat on the shaded patio, and it was quite nice, befitting a casual beach town. Our server was friendly and informative without being pushy. The service towards the end of our meal was a bit spotty, but another server happily refilled our beverages and we had no problem calling him over and he was friendly throughout.

While we thoroughly enjoyed our food and experience at Gecko's, I would not recommend it for someone seeking typical Americanized Mexican food or an upscale dining experience.

We will definitely return here next time we're in Cape May!

• Visited August 2012