“Ooo LaLa” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
BV Pennsylvania
“Ooo LaLa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

Freda's was recommended to us by fellow guests during a recent stay at a Cape May
B & B. They particularly liked the crab cakes and lamb.
My husband and I both ordered the crab cakes and they were, by far, absolutely the best crab cakes we have ever had and we've eaten crab cakes in many, many places. If there was any filler in the cakes we couldn't find it. They were perfectly seasoned and broiled. The mango sauce is a unique touch - loved it.
It's true that Freda's is small and the tables are close together but we'll gladly sacrifice a little space if it means we'll be served excellent food. As to the price Freda's is no more pricey than any other superior restaurant on the cape.
Reservations for dinner are a must.

Cape May
“Friendly service, good food, a bit $$”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

I've tried Freda's for lunch twice, and I liked it both times. The food is good. Most recently, I had a Chilean sea bass sandwich there, and my husband had a Kobe burger. Both sandwiches come with what look like hand-cut fries---very tasty and not at all greasy. Also, I like the little touches that make a big difference. For example, they didn't serve us ketchup in a bottle or a plastic container; they served it in a mini-ramekin on a small plate with a doily. That's nice!

What I really like about the place is that it's clean and has a touch of elegance that is lacking in most places in Cape May that bill themselves as "fine dining." There were fresh, pretty flowers on every table in Freda's, and REAL tablecloths (this is a rarity in CM). The place is a bit small, but we went for lunch around 1:30, and it wasn't crowded, so the size was no problem.

The servers are friendly. On my last visit, our server was not only efficient but also warm and friendly. That really contributes to the experience.

The only thing that might turn some people away from the place are the prices. It cost my husband and I $36 for lunch (includes a $5 tip). My husband's burger was $13.95. I would go back, but I do think this might be a bit much for some people.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Laurence Harbor NJ
“Best kept secret in Cape May”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

This place is AWESOME! The food is unbelievable! It must be one of - if not the - BEST in Cape May....I would recommend everyone to try this place. Doesn't look like much, but you WILL NOT be dissappointed! The place is very small, reservations suggested. TRY IT! TRY IT! TRY IT! (It is a bring your own, so don't forget your wine!)

Glenside, PA
“The best Rack of Lamb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

We have eaten dinner at Freda's many times. I love the rack of lamb. My son loves the soup and the crabcakes, my husband always wants to go there. You may pay a little more than a eating at the Lobster House but the food cannot be compared!!! I refuse to wait in long lines for mediocre food. I especially like that you can BYOB. Not a place for small children, it's small, but my son is a well behaved 13 year old and he loves it.

New Jersey
“What a pleasant surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Our innkeeper (Anna Marie) highly recommended this for our first meal in Cape May. Walking past it, we almost missed it and if we didn't know better, we probably wouldn't have considered it since it looked like a storefront. We were a bit early for our reservations, so we asked if they would hold our wine (BYOB) until we came back. They did. The seating is very close. We each had one of the specials - the black and white sesame crusted ahi tuna, and the duck breast with an apple, fig and chicken compote stuffing with a thai curry dressing. WOW - this was delicious. While the dessert menu sounded heavenly, we were too full to order. The best part was that towards the end of the meal, we found out that three other couples were also staying at the Queen Victoria B&B, and they were celebrating birthdays, while we were celebrating our anniversary. It was cozy enough to chat across the room. We enjoyed the food so much, we stopped again for lunch on Monday before we left Cape May. The deli was closed, but they were serving lunch in the main restaurant. We ordered two of their sandwiches to share and a side of french fries. We can't wait to see what specials will be on the menu next year when we return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere