“Simply Amazing!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Yonkers, New York
“Simply Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Happened to be walking by Freda's and stopped in for lunch with our 10 year old daughter. Out of the ordinary menu options. We like that! Decided that we (my husband and I) needed to come back alone for dinner. Tiny place and an old store front. Romantic music playing. It's BYOB, and that too I like. Why pay for overpriced wine when you can choose what you like and bring your own. We ordered crab wontons to start, and my husband had NY Strip Steak and I had Stuffed Salmon. OK, right about now you are saying..........big deal, right? The portions were large and looked fantastic. The Salmon was In a berry key lime sauce. The steak was like butter, with large scallops and shrimp on a skewer. The sweet potato mousse that came with it that was like dessert. The salmon was stuffed with crab and spinach on a bed of rice. I am not one to finish my dinners but if we could have we would have locked the plates clean! Had to stop myself from making the yummy sound! With a meal like that, how could you NOT try for dessert! Surely it couldn't be as good as dinner...........WRONG! Outstanding pecan praline cake like dessert with whipped cream and melted ice cream topped with praline crunch crumbs. OMG!!! We split it simply because we were spool stuffed from the meal. My husband is still complaining he should have got his own! Husband (chef) and wife (pastry chef) named after his mom. Friendly service (Susan) and a wonderfully different place! It would be a crime to miss this one!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Glen Allen
“Crammed into a small space, some food good, still felt greedy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

First off, there's no mistaking why the servers are slim. They couldn't get through the aisles otherwise. We were a party of 4, in 4 small chairs, crammed against the wall with no elbow room. The tables in the middle of the room were no more than 2 inches apart. One large family could barely get out of the restaurant once it started to fill up. That said, the main dish was delicious, though the salad dressing was salty to the point of being nearly inedible. I cannot say I would choose to return to this restaurant willingly, and especially not for the price.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Great Food, Quaint & Warm, Wonderful Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had the pleasure of dining at Freda's. Its a quaint little restaurant within walking distance from all the B & B's. The staff was on point and most of all so pleasant. The food was wonderful! There were 12 in our party and although it is a small restaurant, they were able to accommodate us and seat us comfortably. I had the seared tuna which was fresh, delicious and just enough. There were 4 people in our party that ordered the lamb chops... large portion and cooked to perfection. The fried oysters were incredible! There wasn't one complaint. I love the fact that its BYOB because it always easier on the wallet. If you know you are taking a trip to Cape May it would be wise to make reservations in advance. Freda's is not to be missed.
P.S. Freda's also has a little market next door and we ordered take out for the beach...just as good!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Both my husband and I had the ginger soy salad. It was terrible. We both ordered the chicken with artichoke hearts. It was fair but not worth the price. We did not have dessert.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
“Delicious lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Had lunch two days in a row at Freda's Cafe. Wonderful service, charming atmosphere and delicious lunch. Next time will try dinner.

Visited August 2012