“Inadequate service, too-casual dress code” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 108 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Cape May
“Inadequate service, too-casual dress code”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

I must agree with a previous reviewer who commented on the too-casual dress code of the Merion Inn. It's common to see people dining in jeans here, and that might not bother me if I was at Applebee's or Fridays, but not in what is supposed to be a fine dining restaurant. I believe Cape May in general has dropped the ball in this regard. They bill their restaurants as "casual chic," but I ask you, what's chic about jeans and a t-shirt? If you're going to allow jeans, then drop your prices and your pretensions.

The service is far from professional. I've had better service in diners. The servers are not unfriendly, but they haven't been taught how to serve.

Overall, the Merion Inn is below-average and not worth the money.

Philadelphia
“You Get What You Pay For - Avoid the Early Bird Special”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

We were so looking forward to our belated Thanksgiving dinner at Cape May's Merion Inn.

We opted for the "Early Bird Special" which was a disaster. The entree we chose - described on the menu as pork medallions - turned out to be dry, overdone pork scraps slathered with a ghastly, artificial-tasting, black-brown glop of a sauce. This mess was accompanied by a crock of overdone baked whipped potatoes and tasteless green beans.

A memorable meal in that it was one of the worst we've ever had.

Reading, Pennsylvania
“A fabulous dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

This restaurant was one of the best we have been at in Cape May! There were 4 of us and we ALL can't say enough about our dinners! All the way from being seated to dessert! We will definately ,without a doubt be back to the Merion Inn.
Oley and Gilbertsville PA

Connecticut
“Great dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

We started out for just a martini at the Inn's great old bar and stayed for the Night owl dinner: 3 course dinner for $17.95 and glad we did. We were a bit skeptical at such an offer but we were proven wrong. The service was efficient and friendly. From the warm rolls, Jersey chowder and swordfish in a lemon sauce and topped off with creme pie it was a delightful experience. Soon to return the following evening for an encore. Again a fine dining experience. The piano player just added more charm to the evenings.

Fairhope, AL
“Excellent food, unfriendly service, questionable dress code”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

My boyfriend and I ate at the Merion Inn the end of July. He had heard it had the best bar in Cape May and we both agreed our drinks we ordered before dinner were exceptional. (Stoli Oranj & 7 and a Grey Goose Gimlet). Our innkeeper had made reservations for us that afternoon after he had tried to sway us towards Tisha's, but since this is where my boyfriend wanted to eat we stuck with our original plan.

We arrived for the 9pm seating which is the last seating of the night (this was on a Thursday). While we sat at the bar, a grungy looking guy with a mullet hair-do sat next to us and a very nice looking couple (early 30s) sat at the other end of the bar. What bothered me is that they both had jeans on. This is completely inappropriate attire even for a resort town.

Next, the maitre'd sat us in the front corner table. The kind where you both end up looking out over the street rather than into each others eyes. We sat there for a few minutes until we decided this was a joke. We asked a waiter to re-seat us. The maitre'd was not apologetic and we carried our own menus to the new table. (This mind you was the table right behind the hostess stand). Obviously, far from the best seat in the house.

The first time we saw our waitress was about 10 minutes after sitting when she came over and said "do you know what you want?" No, "do you have any questions about the menu" or "welcome to the Merion Inn I am so and so....". I have had more professional service at Applebee's.

I ordered the scallops and my boyfriend ordered the crab cakes. They were undoubtedly the best crab cakes that either of us have ever tried. Although I was not crazy about my dish since the sauce had dairy in it which I find odd with scallops, I will say the portion sizes were more than adequate. We also each ordered a side Caesar salad and although it was ala carte, it was worth it.

Overall, I cannot recommend this restaurant. Considering our tab (including a bottle of wine) was just under $90, I felt the service was unattentive and the location of our seat left a lot to be desired.