“Good happy hour in pleasant surroundings.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Mad Batter Restaurant & Bar

The Mad Batter Restaurant & Bar
19 Jackson St, Carroll Villa, Cape May, NJ 08204 (Formerly Mad Batter at the Carroll Villa)
609-884-5970
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mad Batter Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 110 Restaurants in Cape May
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Bar, Continental
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lafayette Street
Description: A Cape May tradition for over 30 years! The nationally acclaimed Mad Batter Restaurant is located at the Carroll Villa Hotel in the heart of the historic district. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and cocktails are served on the European-style front porch, garden terrace, and sky-lit dining room. Breakfast offerings include fresh squeezed juices, homemade fruit breads, and entrees such as crab benedict, oatmeal pancakes, or orange & almond french toast. Lunch entrees include the Maryland crab cake sandwich, fish & chips, and Waldorf chicken, as well as an assortment of salads. Dinner options are always inventive and the seafood is extraordinary. Entrees include award-winning jumbo lump crab cakes, juicy steaks, chicken and fresh fish specials daily. A sumptuous selection of desserts is made daily. The Mad Batter Bar features Happy Hour, eight beers on tap, a reasonably priced wine list, and a martini list sure to please. Live music and special events are planned throughout the year.
Follansbee, West Virginia
“Good happy hour in pleasant surroundings.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Although we didn't dine at the Mad Batter, we did enjoy Happy Hour at the bar on two occasions during our stay at Cape May. The bartenders were friendly, efficient and skilled. The bar offered many selections of frozen drinks, martinis, and eight beers on tap, all half price between 4 & 6PM. Clam chowder ($6) and crab cakes ($13.25) were especially good as were the salads (about $8.)

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“Hostess (mother& son) very rude and snobbish and the waiter filling in as a bartender equally rude.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I have been going to this place for the last twenty years.
We usually have drinks at the bar then we ask to be seated out on the veranda. Never a problem. This year we did the same and when we went out to ask to be seated the hostess (young college boy) asked
if I had reservations ? I said no. He would not seat us on the veranda since we did not have a reservatio- we went back into the bar and had diner there.When we came out after dinner the same tables were still empty!
Several nights latter we went to the bar to have a drink -we intended to eat at the bar. The entire bar was empty. The ceiling fan was over us £ turned up tom the highest level we asked the bartender to lower it a notch he refuse! No one was even in the bar! Then we got up and left!we went to Tish's around corner the people their appreciate their customers.Great atmosphere but some of the help are very indifferent to their customers. During our stay over a
three week period 6/25 to 7/15/11 we dinned there on three nights
we would have dined at least three more times.
However, It worked out well because we tried other restaurants like Tish's and the Sea Grill in Avalonbecause of our experience at the Mad Batter

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Cape May, New Jersey
“What happened to this place?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

What happened? When I was a visitor, back in the 90's, this was THE place for brunch. I took my Mother for Mother's Day, and what a disappointment. This was my third horrid trip this past year. I kept trying to give the Batter the benefit of the doubt. But, on all three trips, I had horrible service. I was saying, oh well...."they are new" at least the food will be good,. Was I ever wrong! Hot milk with potatoes served as clam chowder, rubber cold eggs, cold toast, old burnt coffee, and NO nice touches. It used to be you wold get a fresh strawberry on your plate, or a basket of lovely muffins, beautiful pecan french toast............nope....This place is for people who want to go there ONCE, get ripped off, and never come back again. Lucky for them they are in a high-traffic tourist area.
$30 for a cold bowl of milk- chowder, 2 burnt coffees and two eggs with toast.

• Visited May 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Telford, Pennsylvania
“Great Service and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

This restaurant takes reservations, so call ahead and book an outside seat. The crabcakes were so good, and the service was AMAZING. OUr waitress was so kind, and accommodating. She was the best part of the meal. My 2 kids both ordered the Crab Cakes and loved them. The selection is wonderful and worth every penny!! Can't wait to go again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Towson, Maryland
“Such potential ... but missed on so many counts ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

We had heard from several people how good the Mad Batter was, so we decided to make it our "Sunday Night" dress up dinner.

We arrived and were walked through a lovely area to a back area that is clearly where they put families with children (which we were, so it made sense).

They sat us at a table that was immediately next to the kitchen. There were other empty tables around, and I almost asked to be moved, but at the price point the Mad Batter is, I thought that perhaps they had it worked out so that it would not be an issue.

I was wrong.

First, we were under an air-condition vent. Within minutes of sitting, it dripped on our table and on my husband. We pointed it out to our server who went over an grabbed this mop thingy with a large towel attached to the top. She ran it along the vent to collect the water and said "that should do for now".

As we perused the menu, it became obvious that we were in a truly bad table spot. First, the noise from the kitchen was VERY loud. Far more than one would expect at a nicer restaurant. In addition, the area immediately behind us was the beverage counter as well as the "loading and unloading" zone. Each server would bring down their food and then squeeze behind either my husband or my mom to bring food to the various tables. This happened constantly throughout the meal.

We ordered a variety of items from the crab cakes, to the Skirt steak, to kids meals (each $9) and everything was better than average, but nothing was great. The exception was the skirt steak which was over marinated and salted and very tough.

Towards the end of the meal, when a manager came by and asked how everything was, we all looked at each other and said "it's Ok". She smiled, said good, and walked away.

Now, the important bit to all of this is that the Mad Batter is expensive. Entrees are about $28-$30 and kids meals are $9. Not terrible, but far more than one would expect given the ambiance we encountered.

I have no doubt that if we had sat at another table away from the leaking air conditioner and the through-way, we would have had a far better experience. But that did not happen, so I can only comment on what our experience was. Not good.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere