“Great Dining at Union Park” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Park Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 110 Restaurants in Cape May
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Howard Street
Transit: n/a
Description: Across from the ocean, this elegant dining room serves classic American food with a special touch. Union Park Dining Room received New Jersey Monthly Magazine's 2005 thru 2011 Critics Choice Award as one of the best restaurants in New Jersey. Working his magic behind the scenes, chef John Schatz has overseen the kitchens of some sophisticated eateries in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area, including the former Maureen's in Cape May. The large, spacious dining rooms with their fireplaces, cherry & mahogany furniture & antique fixtures are romance personified. Settle in for a memorable meal. Private dining rooms available from 8 to 42 guests. Banquet Facilities: Located in the historic Hotel Macomber, union park dining room is available for both casual & elegant parties, receptions, special occasion dinners or complete weddings. Our facility can host groups up to 130 people, depending on the type of reception you desire.
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
“Great Dining at Union Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I was very impressed by the menu. We dined @ Union Park twice. On my 1st night I had the duck breast which was cooked perfectly & was so tender. The side of mashed potatoes and string beans were a perfect compliment to the duck.
On my 2nd night I had the pork tenderloin. Again, it was cooked to my liking. The pork came wth asian style noodles. Nicely seasoned. Both meals offered generous portions.
We also enjoyed the clams on he half shell the 1st night & on the 2nd we had the seafood plateau. All was delicious, my favorite being the clams.
The service could not be freindlier or more professional. Our server, Jeremy was very attentive refilling our wine glasses & speaking at lenth about the menu options. Great outdoor seatng.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Illinois
“My favorite restaurant in Cape May”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

I never miss an opportunity to dine at Union Park when I'm in Cape May. The originality of the menu, the elegant ambiance, the impeccable service all combine to make this an outstanding experience. I most recently had the roast pork entree with cornbread and red cabbage, and can also recommend the rack of lamb, seared scallops, duck breast or salmon. Just when you think you've eaten all you can, you're tempted by dessert. And the desserts are the best of all.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
south jersey
“I want to eat there every night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Six of us had dinner at Union Park last Wednesday. One of the couples suggested we sit outside on the beautiful porch overlooking the beach. The place was busy for a week night I thought. Love the BYOB. We started with Cape May oysters, Razor clams(special for that night ) with a lemon-garlicky yammy sauce that complimented the champagne that we brought. If the chef is reading this PLEASE GIVE ME THE RECIPE!!! I had the scallops with risotto and my boyfriend had the stripsteak. Every dish was cooked and presented perfectly. I was too full (I thought) to have a dessert, but then I saw the cheesecake. Everyone at our table agreed that Union Park is the best restaurant in Cape May, or make that New Jersey. The service, the place, the food -Amazing. Loved It.

New Jersey
“Worst eating experience I have ever had in Cape May”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I'm really surprised about most of the positive reviews here. We had a completely terrible dinner here. The cost is really outrageous and overpriced. Yes, it is an elegant restaraunt so you have to expect a higher than average bill, but this was beyond all decency for what we got. Our service was terrible. I hate to criticize people wait-staff, but this was just unacceptable. Despite the fact the the dinner room was very thin with customers, there were more staff standing around than helping us enjoy our pricey meal. I asked for a glass of wate and was nearly belittled and mocked for wanting free "tap" water. Then when I ordered tuna, the waitress refused to let me have it cooked the way I wanted. She insisted that the chef only prepared tuna rare or medium rare. Exuse me, am I the customer? Am I the one paying for it?

When our meal did arrive, it was sparse, at best. The portion size was not at all adequate. The taste was OK, but the whole event had already been ruined at that point. The best thing about this meal was the fact that it has given us a story to tell.

Less than two hours after we coughed up a huge pile of cash for this meal, we were hungry again and ended up walking to the boardwalk to get some pizza.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Northfield, New Jersey
“Impressive, accomodating, magical doesn't begin to describe our experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Union Park Dining Room went above and beyond throughout our entire wedding process! Friends and family felt the need to prepare me by explaining that things would not be perfect because after all it was a wedding and things happen so I began to expect something would go wrong, but Bob (one of Union Park Dining Room's owners), had the entire event under control and made it the most magical day ever! I would like to think that I was organized and calm throughout the entire process but the person who really just came through with every last detail and request was the person that made our day an absolutely perfect day! I spent so much time and energy planning the most important day and was worried that I would be a mess the day of, making sure everything went according to plan, but I didn't have a care in the world! Although Bob was essentially there to organize the evening he did much more than that. He gave a bride and groom the best present you could ever imagine; comfort, assurance, peace and most importantly we felt that he cared just as much about out wedding as we did and we knew he personally would make sure everything was just as if he would want his wedding to be if this were his day, but with our desires, style and vision. I really can't express enough how thankful we are and how just overly impressed we were throughout the entire process. Bob even took the time to call me the night before the reception, (while he was working out every last detail and I was able to sit back and enjoy my rehearsal dinner) leaving a detailed and caring message explaining that everything was coming together beautifully however he had a few questions and that if I had an opportunity to call him I can call at anytime that evening but if I could not contact him it was not a big deal he had it all under control. After dinner I got home and listened to my messages and called Bob back at 11:00 and sure enough he answered and had a few questions but nothing major he just wanted to let me know that everything looked beautiful and that we actually forgot a box. Now, at this point I was like WOW, he could have just left it alone and made it our problem and said they only gave me one box of favors so that is what he would display. But not Bob, he made sure we had every opportunity to supply him with what we had planned. We were able to make arrangements for the favors to be dropped off, we discussed last minute details that came up (normal for big events that require a minor change of plans), but I never once panicked because I knew Bob had it under control! (It's actually quite comical because 2 days before the wedding everyone was pointing out things that were not going according to plan such as the rehearsal dinner, wardrobe malfunctions, etc. so I started a new rule no one is to approach the bride with a problem unless you have a solution LOL!). Now Bob was excluded from this rule because well first of all he didn't know about it and second of all nothing was a problem with Bob. So, him not knowing this rule Bob called me and addressed some minor issues, but sure enough an array of solutions and options followed every issue and I felt so confident in Bob that I said ok do what you think is best! Now with all of that said, I still have so many more wonderful things to express to Bob and his wife Dessie who manages the Hotel where the dining room is located. (Dessie was just as amazing, thoughtful and pleasant)!

Union Park Dining Room is not just a warm, inviting atmosphere it also creates the most eye pleasing and more importantly deliciously exquisite entrees. Our friends and family were so impressed by the presentation of the entrees but were even more impressed with the taste and portion size. I absolutley love crab cakes and my husband loves filet mignon (which is why they were two of the three choices for our guests). We once again were more than impressed with everything that they had done in order to make this a special evening. When we sat down with Bob to discuss the entrees he assured us that he did not make smaller portions for large events, that we would get what we we order on a regular night of business. When you are planning a wedding you are so focused on the fairy tale aspect that the food does not seem like it holds much rank in the order of importance, but when you sit down and get to enjoy your wedding and dine like a prince and princess life does not get much better! That is what we experienced every step of the way we were truly treated like royalty! Looking back I have to say that the dinner was extremely important in satisfying our guests and they were more than satisfied. It is now 6 months later and my family is still talking about how wonderful the entire evening was and how they absolutely loved the restaurant and the wonderful employees. I also have to commend Bob on having such a wonderful staff. Every single individual was attentive (but not overbearing), genuinely concerned and eager to attend to every detail and just warm, kind people that made me feel as though they were just as involved as my friends and family. Which was important to us, they actually wanted to be there making everything special. I can't thank everyone enough for such an amazing experience! People say that weddings aren't perfect and that things can get stressful but I didn't experience any of that all I had were wonderful people that really cared about our day and that were determined to make it a day that we would never forget and for that I thank Bob, Dessie and all of the wonderful people that were there that evening to make everything as memorable as it was. Thinking about that evening will always give me a warm feeling and put a smile on my face. If I could do it all again I wouldn't change a thing! From the bottom of our hearts THANK YOU and I truly hope that more couples at the very least sit down with Bob because I guarantee tiy will fall in love with the charming atmosphere of the restaurant, the intimate feel of the dining room and the "I take pride in my business" philosphy that Bob expresses in every step of the way.