“Fantastic Food!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 110 Restaurants in Cape May
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Eclectic
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Peter Shields Inn quality cuisine bursts with freshness and creativity. The Peter Shields offers a la carte dining along with a four course chef’s tasting menu. Also expect to find weekly menu additions that incorporate fresh and innovative ingredients. The magnificent ocean views are the perfect scenery to celebrate a special occasion or simply enjoy a memorable dining experience. In the summer months, outdoor dining is available on porches overlooking the ocean. The Inn also specializes in both casual & elegant ocean front weddings. For the absolute finest local and seasonal fare, Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is a favorite of residents and visitors to Cape May alike. Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room.
South Orange, New Jersey
“Fantastic Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

A small menu but great selection and combinations. The appetizers were awesome; I had the Ahi tuna with avocado, my husband had the local fresh salt oysters which he thought were superb. My duck breast was excellent, cook rare, not raw, just as I like it. The accompaniments of Quinoa and kale were really well cooked and seasoned. They and the sauce added wonderfully to the dish. a resounding 10. My husband hd the tile fish which he loved. It tasted delightful and was composed beautifully. Service was outstanding and the dining room was lovely.

Columbiaville, Michigan, United States
“Great food and atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We ate here and the food was great. The atmosphere was very romantic! We loved how special the waitress made us feel!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cape May, New Jersey
“Elegant ocean front dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We live in Cape May and come here often. The beautiful surroundings and ocean views from the Inn style restaurant and pleasant work staff make for a great dining experience. 5:30pm - 6:30pm they offer a great value prix fixe menu and the restaurant is byob. If you come to Cape May, NJ the Peter Shields Inn should definitely be a consideration for dinner.

“First Time Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went for dinner on February 13, 2014. From the time we walked in until the time we left we the staff was friendly, tentative and accommodating. We ate in one of the dining rooms next to the room with a fireplace. After opening our bottle of wine and ordering our dinner we enjoyed our first glass of wine next to the fire. For our dinner my wife ordered the Valentines Tasting menu that included Cream of Potato soup,
Prawn appetizer, Hangar steak with cartelized onions and mashed potatoes and dessert. I had the Cream of cauliflower soup, the Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and the Hangar Steak. The cauliflower soup was succulent, while not too heavy. The Yellowfin Tuna Tartar was a more than ample portion that created an explosion of flavor in your mouth while remaining balanced. The Hangar steaks were good perfectly medium-rare, as the chef recommended. The portions of steak were great. All courses were presented with a high degree of artistry. My wife and I both took home about half of the steak. We enjoyed our desserts and had our coffee once again by the fire. Our server, Harriet, never rushed us and was very friendly. We concluded our visit with a tour of some of the 9 rooms at the Inn. If you are looking for a gem in historic Cape May, we highly recommend the Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant. You will not be disappointed.

“Very romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I decided on the spur of the moment to have dinner here. When we arrived on a Saturday night without a reservation we were graciously welcomed at the door, even though they had served their last reservation 90 minutes before. The host quickly checked to make sure the kitchen staff had not started to break down the food prep area already, and we were seated in an intimate dining room with a cozy fireplace. The restaurant is located in a beachfront mansion, and I can't wait to go back in the warmer months so we can sit outside watching the waves roll in. We were surprised to learn that this was a BYOB, but, no problem if you forget to bring wine. The restaurant is allowed to sell NJ wines, and we had a very nice bottle from the Cape May Winery. The menu was pricey, but worth it. I am a chef, and my husband is in the restaurant business. We are not easily impressed when we go out to eat, but the Peter Shields Inn is now on our list of one of the best meals we ever ate. The setting was gorgeous, service was attentive and professional. Even though we were late arrivals, no one made us feel rushed. We were treated like welcome guests to a friends home. Looking forward to our next visit.