“Flavor just isn't there” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 110 restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Eclectic
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Peter Shields Inn quality cuisine bursts with freshness and creativity. The Peter Shields offers a la carte dining along with a four course chef’s tasting menu. Also expect to find weekly menu additions that incorporate fresh and innovative ingredients. The magnificent ocean views are the perfect scenery to celebrate a special occasion or simply enjoy a memorable dining experience. In the summer months, outdoor dining is available on porches overlooking the ocean. The Inn also specializes in both casual & elegant ocean front weddings. For the absolute finest local and seasonal fare, Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is a favorite of residents and visitors to Cape May alike. Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room.
“Flavor just isn't there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Went here for my birthday. The atmosphere, amenities, and service were all top notch. Lots of little touches: a live piano player, real sugar cubes for coffee/tea, after dinner taffee mints from fralingers, sugar scrub in the bathrooms, gorgeous interior with beautiful views for all tables, friendly waitstaff with little niceties like folding your napkin if you step away. Our drinks were never close to empty, we never waited long for courses, very helpful down to earth and welcoming staff, willing to make menu substitutions. We were able to get in early and take advantage of the early seating menu: 3 courses for two for $40 each which is usually quite a bargain for a place like this. I wanted to love this place but the food flavor was just not there. I got the hanger steak which was alright: the risotto was bland, the portion small, and while the steak was cooked perfectly, the dish did not have the extra oomph, that unique boldness or complexity of flavor that I look for in an upscale restaurant. My wife's salmon was a decent sized tasty portion, served with an over salty celery purée and bland kale. Same here: a tasty fish but not what you look for in fine dining. Our appetizers, errr, "first course" were probably the best parts: her butternut squash soup with smoked trout was bold and flavorful and creative, my salad had Roquefort dressing and I do love my Roquefort. Desserts were likewise tasty but unspectacular. If you want great atmosphere, come here. If you want amazing food, look elsewhere.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Atco, New Jersey
“AMAZING DINNER Don't Miss this Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Wow. The whole experience was perfect from the moment we walked in the door. The Staff is very friendly and accomadating. There is a piano player that is a very nice touch. The service is spot on, very profesional staff from top to bottom. Very nice dining area with outdoor options. We chose to sit inside. I opted for the Chefs Tasting menu and was blown away. The food pairings were delicious and not overdone. I recommend this if you are looking for an incredible diverse dining experience, plus you don't have to make a choice for each course. My wife had the rib eye and loved that also. The Chef does an incredible job in the food he makes. All courses were amazing. I would say find a way to have dinner here you will not be disappointed. THANK YOU TO THE CHEF AND THE WHOLE STAFF, WELL DONE! Right acroos the street from the Ocean. We will be back!

Baltimore, MD
“Excellent! Not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We choose to make a reservation on recommendation from a local. Simply put the food was amazing and the service was equally exceptional. You won't be disappointed.

Visited September 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Just a lovely evening.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I'm originally from this area and in all these years have never had dinner at PSI. My husband and I had a great time. It's an elegant atmosphere, yet very comfortable. The service and food was good and you can't beat the view. Ask for seating outside (weather permitting) or for seating in the enclosed porch. Ocean is right across the street. They only serve wines from a local winery, but you can bring your own bottle to the restaurant.

new jersey
“A perfect weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

My fiancée and I just returned from three days/two nights at PSI, and we are already anxious to go back! We love cape may but this was our first visit to Peter shields. We were there for our friends' wedding weekend, and the place far surpassed every expectation we could have had.
First with regards to the wedding, everything was beautiful, the food was absolutely wonderful, the staff made sure the whole event ran smoothly. It was a terrific day!
As for our experience as hotel guests, we were thrilled! Although called a bed and breakfast, I would definitely classify this place as something much better - unlike a typical b&b, you're not sleeping in someone's house with communal bathrooms and group meals. This is much more elegant and classy. There are nine rooms and because the wedding party we were with had the entire inn booked, I got to see almost every room (except 2 and 3). Some have fireplaces, jacuzzi tubs, and/or balconies. We had room six on the third floor, which had a king sized bed and ocean view. The bed might have been the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! The whole inn, both the rooms as well as lobby and restaurant, are beautifully decorated. It was so cozy and charming! Breakfast was included, and it was excellent! There is also a cute little lounge upstairs with fresh baked cookies and other snacks and drinks for the guests. There is a private parking lot (which is key) and even bike rentals included. The inn is right across from the beach, so the views are amazing. The staff was wonderful, attentive and friendly. We loved everyone we met, we couldn't thank them enough for making our experience so homey and enjoyable. Not a single negative I could think of. We will definitely be back! Big thanks to everyone at PSI for such a great experience!