“Best in town” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 110 Restaurants in Cape May
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Eclectic
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Peter Shields Inn quality cuisine bursts with freshness and creativity. The Peter Shields offers a la carte dining along with a four course chef’s tasting menu. Also expect to find weekly menu additions that incorporate fresh and innovative ingredients. The magnificent ocean views are the perfect scenery to celebrate a special occasion or simply enjoy a memorable dining experience. In the summer months, outdoor dining is available on porches overlooking the ocean. The Inn also specializes in both casual & elegant ocean front weddings. For the absolute finest local and seasonal fare, Peter Shields Inn & Restaurant is a favorite of residents and visitors to Cape May alike. Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room.
Boston
“Best in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Wonderful, pretty, great staff. First rate. You will not be disappointed. FYI: Cape May appears to only allow Cape May wines sold in restaurants so if you don't want the local grape, BYOB. Common practice at all the restaurants we visited.

Visited July 2012

Springfield, New Jersey
“My favorite restaurant in Cape May”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

In a town filled with excellent restaurants, the Peter Shields is at the top of my list. For my first course, I had the Jumbo Lump Crab Salad, Smoked Salmon, Mache, Toasted Almonds, Basil Aioli. It was the best lump crab salad that I have ever eaten anywhere. The combination of the crab and smoked salmon was a work of genius and I would highly recommend it. For my second course, I had the Grilled Filet of Beef, Herbed Potato Puree, Haricot Verts, Caramelized Onions ​Wild Mushrooms, Bordelaise. It was so tender that I swear I could have cut it with my fork. It was prepared so perfectly, that I couldn't possibly think how it could have been improved upon. The Peter Shields is also one of the most elegant and romantic restaurants that I have every visited anywhere in the world. The service is also first rate and the piano player, Kahlil Gunther, provided perfect music that was enough to push the evening to a perfect 10 on the romance scale.

Visited July 2012
Silver Spring, Maryland
“The best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Fabulous meal, fabulous view from the porch. Would return to Cape May just to go to PSI.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lovely ocean view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We visited Cape May for our anniversary weekend and stayed at this beautiful Inn, eating dinner here the first night as well. Our table was on the screened porch where we enjoyed a lovely ocean view, immaculate linens, fresh flowers, candlelight, and courteous service. The perfect ambience for what we hoped would be a perfect meal.

We began with a so-so bottle of local Cape May wine (all they can serve here, unless you BYO) , small but fresh salads and an order of some of the best calamari we've ever eaten. We couldn't wait for our entrees! My husband's scallops were large and succulent. However, the hangar steak I ordered would probably have made a sturdy pair of shoes. Dessert and coffee were average. All in all, if atmosphere is what you are seeking (there's a pianist at the grand piano in the lobby all evening) this is pretty hard to beat. High-end with prices to match. The food experience can be uneven.

Middletown, New Jersey
“Top Notch food and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is one of the better restaurants in the area. No doubt the food and service rival the best in Cape May but also the entire state.