“The best in town” 5 of 5 stars

609-884-5697
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Washington Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 108 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jefferson
NJ
“The best in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

Just a perfect restaurant in every single way. It is beautiful, but you feel comfortable. It is classy, but not pretentious. Service is smart and friendly, never overbearing. Modern, nouveau cuisine is served, but it has a simplicity to it that never intimidates diners. The wine, food, atmosphere... all amazing.

This restaurant is worth the money, especially when you compare it to lesser places with similar price tags. Do yourself a favor and dress well, leave the kids at home, and treat yourself.

The exotic mushroom and polenta appetizer is a must, and the basic crabcake app was perfect. The veal chop was cooked perfect and the mashed potatoes (yes, mashed potatoes) were the best I ever tasted. Odd item on that menu, but they were perfect. The peach and blueberry cobbler was worth the weight gain.

Go and enjoy!

stumpie22
“Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

We went to the Washington Inn for my birthday dinner & were thrilled with the quality of food, the large variety of wine, and the wonderful service. Although the whole meal was great - I LOVED the polenta appetizer and the bananas foster dessert. Seriously, they're unbelievable. The waiter was witty & attentive. He gave me a very good wine recommendation and even brought over some mango sorbet in honor of my birthday. We'll definitely go back again!!

Baltimore, MD
“Wonderful Meal and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

Had a wonderful experience. Waitress recommended an excellent wine that was not too pricey, service was impecable, and food was even better. Enjoyed it so must we made reservations to go back a 2nd time on the same vacation, unheard of for my wife an I.

“Surprisingly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

From previous years I rememred the menu as a little old-fashioend, but it has been updated a little and is excellent. The wine list is superb - we had an excellent Tuscan wine.

The only minuses: the muzak (which the waiter however turned off until other diners came into our room) and the service, which was a little rushed: they seemed to want us to finish to make room for the next seating. But these are minor points.

Washington, DC
“Good, but overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

My husband dined at the Washington Inn after hearing that it was the best restaurant in Cape May. Dinner was good, but it wasn't great. The location is off the beaten track -- it doesn't overlook the ocean unlike other restaurants. We had a 8:30 pm reservation and probably didn't get seated until almost 9 pm. We both ordered the vegetarian risotto, which was the only vegetarian item on the menu. Again, it was good but nothing outstanding. The waiter told us that it was one of the best vegetarian meals that she has ever had --- I cannot agree!

For a romantic and reasonably priced meal, I would highly recommend Tischa's. They have a beautiful patio where you can sit and look at the gorgeous view, and the wait staff is great. I didn't dislike our experience at the Washington Inn, but I frankly think that it is overrated.