“Great hotel. Great staff” 4 of 5 stars

The Star
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   29 Perry Street, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
howell, NJ
“Great hotel. Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Very nice room. Location was great. The staff were beyond nice and helpful also. We also got to use the pool at congress hall during our stay. The pool was outstanding and there are 2. One for families and 1 for just adults. Parking also was the besr. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Caldwell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We checked in at The Star for a mid-week two-day stay and were happy to find an ocean view room within our budget. The room was clean, the hotel decor ecletic (think Victorian Eastlake chairs with modern accessories), towels and linens nice and an attractive marble bathroom. Our room (2nd floor of the house) was super tiny. It's all we needed but it might not work for those wanting more elbow room. There is only a nightstand width between the queen bed and the wall. One dresser and one chair. An open closet provides a place to hang clothes and fit one carry-on suitcase. The bath could really use a shelf for personal belongings. We like a firmer mattress but it was fine.

Unlike Rhona F. described in another review we were not told about any complimentary goodies :( A complimentary morning cup of coffee seemed kind of expected since the house feels more like a B&B than a hotel but it was not to be. Snacks and drinks were available by the check-in counter for a fee. Since The Star is part of Congress Hall we received complimentary lounge chairs, towels and an umbrella at the beach. We enjoyed that! Unfortunately we were not told in advance that we could have taken advantage of this perk earlier since we arrived before check-in. The hotel is centrally located to the beach, many restaurants and The Mall. The very bored looking front desk girl was pleasant enough but couldn't answer many questions. All other staff we encountered at The Star and Congress Hall were noticeably upbeat and attentive. We rented bikes from Congress Hall ($7. for an hour/$12 for the day) and had a great time exploring. A guy (who reminded us of Samwise Gamgee or a little leprechaun) at the bike rental was very friendly and helpful.

All in all we would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cherry Hill, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Room Type: Standard
Rate Paid: $219 per night
Reason For Stay: Leisure

(Reviewers Note: I waffled a bit on this one, deciding between a 4 and a 3. As you can see, the score works out to a 4, but I was very much inclined to deduct an extra point - see my notes at the end why I didn't)

Overall Average Score: 7.9/10

Location - 10/10

You can see the beach, less than a 2 min walk. Directly across the street from Congress Hall, less than 5 min walk from the main shopping/dining area. Hard to find a better location.

Room Design and Condition - 6/10

This is where I really waffled about the point. We were in Room 8, which as other reviewers have noticed is quite small, with a slanted roof (still fine for a party of 2). But the really fun thing is the bathroom, which is across the public fire exit hallway from the room. Yes, you have a locking door on your side, and there is a lock on the bathroom, but the hallway between them is accessible by a closed but unlocked fire exit door. Now, with a little planning and provided robes, this is manageable, but the kicker was no one told us about this when we checked in. A little pre-warning would have been nice (when we checked out, we mentioned that and were told we should have been advised. Personally, I think this should be mentioned at booking if possible).

Other than that, the room was spotlessly clean (I have a new term, AM clean - if you watch Hotel Impossible you will understand). This came just shy of that. And there was a decent amount of storage space for a small room if needed. These kept me from a lower score.

On an odd note, there was a remote in the room for a DVD player. No DVD player. Just a remote.

Room Amenities - 10/10

The bed was a little firm for my tastes and the pillows a tad flat.. Towels were exceptionally good for ai hotel. Sheets and duvet are comfortable and clean. . Bonus points for a decent array of Aveeda toiletries, and included wi-fi (signal strength could have been stronger but speed was good). Good TV channel variety. Also Bonus points for dedicated on-site parking (you will get a hang tag)

Design and Layout - 7/10

There is a nice sitting area on the ground floor. Stairs up to the third floor of the main building are very narrow and may be hard for low mobility individuals to handle. There is no elevator.

Amenities - Non Club - 7.5/10

The Star is actually part of the Cape Hotels group, which also runs Congress Hall across the street. As such, you have access to their amenities, like Fitness room (and I think pool). But they are ..across the street..

Hotel Staff - 8/10

You check in at Congress Hall, and the clerk there was just ok, but everyone else seemed rather friendly. Housekeeping did a very good job.

Dining - 7/10

Like the other amenities, other than a small coffee shop with limited hours, dining options are across the street at Congress Hall. There are several, ranging from casual to fine dining. We had breakfast at the Blue Pig. The food was great as usual and very reasonably priced for Cape May, but they committed the cardinal sin of sitting and forgetting about us. Apparently we were seated in a no longer manned section, until I had to find the hostess and she got someone to cover. Since that person was working a different area, it sometimes took a little longer for her to check on us (she did her best!)

Comments and Notes:

As I noted above, even though my score was in the area of a 4, the fact that there was no forewarning about the limitations of the room, the issues at breakfast, etc had me thinking of awarding a 3. If there was a 3.5 I might have gone there. There were a couple of reasons I did not. First, unless there was something similar in the other building, I think room 8 is the only one with that particular design flaw. And since the vast majority of readers will not be in room 8, the overall hotel should not be dinged for it. The Star has many different styles of rooms, so its really a matter of your experience may vary greatly.

Secondly, the breakfast issue was technically representative of Congress Hall, not the Star specifically, even though they are the same company.

Finally, they offered a Single Night rate that while not cheap, at least was available, and that's always a challenge in Cape May.

About my rating system. Points are awarded on a scale of 1-10, where 7.5 is met expectations. Expectations WILL vary based on brand and location, the Waldorf Astoria will be held to a higher standard than a Springhill Suites.

Room Tip: If possible, ask what room you are being assigned to. If you get #8 be aware of the deficiencies an...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed here for only one night but would recommend it to anyone visiting. The rooms were small but clean and the bedding and towels were lovely. The complimentary goodies were better than more expensive hotels that I have stayed in and more generous. The blue pig across the road has a great breakfast too.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Haddonfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We recently stayed at The Star to celebrate my MILs birthday. We stayed in one of the Carriage House Suites, which has 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, as well as a small kitchen area (we were able to bring a homemade carrot cake to keep in the fridge). There were 8 of us total: my in-laws stayed in one bedroom, my husband and I stayed in the other bedroom, my toddler stayed in our pack and play in our bedroom, and our other 3 kids (ages 6, 8, and 10) slept on the pull-out sofa in the living area.

The decor is wonderful, very simple and fresh. The linens are plush and the bath products are Aveda. The ocean view from our 3rd floor suite was super, and our balcony included 2 rockers and a double swing.

The price point for this suite, at least at this time of year, was incredible considering the proximity to the beach.

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the mother hotel across the street, Congress Hall, choosing a few items from the gift shop and getting a good latte.

We also visited the hotel's restaurant, Blue Pig Tavern, for brunch before we left. The decor again is delightful and simple. The food was very tasteful.

I will definitely visit this hotel again. Excellent in so many ways!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I've stayed at several B and B's, hotels and motels in Cape May, and have to say that this was one of the nicest places I have stayed. We stayed in the suite, which was really nice. The bathroom was spotless and had been re-done in stainless. It was quiet, lovely and romantic. We brought wine and cheese and they stocked basic kitchen niceties. After visiting Congress Hall the main hotel I was really grateful we stayed at the Star Inn. It was much quieter, with more room amenities. We did hear our upstairs neighbors walking around, but it wasn't terribly bothersome and we appreciated the ability to roll our luggage directly from the parking lot into the room from the ground floor. Beds were large and comfy, and the little patio great.
Note that parking is a bit tricky and at least once we had to go to the other parking lot after returning for dinner.
I love the Star location as it is so close to the quiet end of the beach, but also so close to the pedestrian mall. I want to go back!

Room Tip: Suite ground floor convenient for luggage, but view may be better on second floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I chose Congress Hall (The Star Inn annex) for a weekend getaway. We can't wait to go back for a longer visit! The facility runs seamlessly and the staff is so professional. The food at The Ebbitt Grill and The Blue Pig rival the best of what we have sampled in New York and Philadelphia.

Room Tip: The Star Inn (across the street from Congress Hall) is a cozy annex with access to all the activity...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Star? Share your experiences!