“Why would you want to go here?” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #31 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Why would you want to go here?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Went here for 3 nights last summer and I only have two words to say. DONT GO. The people there were rude and are against changing anything in their hotel that was there like 30 years ago. I felt like I was in solitary confinement in the rooms and the beds were crap. I actually planned to stay 4 nights but it had to move to the hotel next door because I couldn't take it anymore. I hope you heed this advice and the advice of others and not go to this outdated, rude hotel.

• Stayed July 2013

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hellertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Newly renovated hotel, right on Beach Avenue in Cape May, New Jersey. We stayed on the off season so pricing was somewhat reasonable. Rooms were very clean and updated. Bedding was very comfortable. 2nd and 3rd floor rooms have a great view of the ocean. This hotel is nicely located, within walking distance of great bars , restaurants, and shopping. We booked the room last minute and were surprised on how helpful the front desk was. We will defiantly be going back next year.

Room Tip: Better ocean view from 2nd and 3rd floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Exton, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

People need to stop being so mean to the people in this hotel, because it's not as bad as they make it seem to be. The rooms are upgraded really nicely, it's just that it's now more modern and upscale versus a place to have your 20 children with you for a cheap price. I personally like the rooms and bathrooms. The furniture is modern and the bathroom has really nice tile. If you're not blind, it's not hard to see the drawers under the bed for storage....
The biggest problem with this place for us was NO CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED. CASHHH Only!
It was not pleasant to drive here, with maybe $150 in your pocket, and being greeted with "We can't let you stay in your room unless you can give another $800 in cash to complete the reservation." Uhhhhhhh... who just has $800 in their pockets nowadays? After somehow convincing all the local banks to let us withdraw the amount, our stay was good afterwords. Some people mentioned that the hotel staff were rude. This is true, but I could see why. With the 100 guests a day yelling at them because of the cash only policy, I'd be pretty rude and miserable working there too.
If they make recommended changes for next year, I'd consider giving this place another try. We all try and fail, but learn from the mistakes, which make us better, and this place being the best in Cape May could be the result.

Room Tip: The two queen room offers a lot more room than the twin/queen room and isn't a significant price...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Excuses excuses excuses. Anthony from Hotel Impossoble was right when he nicknamed that woman Miss Excuse. Read all of the replies on here! That's all these people are full of. Why are there no lounge chairs by the pool? For the safety of children - if that is not the worst excuse I've ever heard I don't know what is. Oh wait. Yes, I do. We don't accept credit cards because the more cards we swipe the more percentage the company charges us off our bottom line. Then look into a different credit card machine you frickin idiots!!!!!! They only accept cash because: A. They do not refund cash when you are ready to leave when you are fed up with their crappy establishment and B. They are probably not claiming 100% of their income.

Shady business. Do not stay here. Go somewhere else. The rooms make you clostraphobic, the walls are paper thin, there are NO lounge chairs by the pool so expect to lie on the cement, wifi doesn't work, you're lucky if the AC in your room works! The staff is RUDE, and you have to pay for your entire stay in cash. If you want to leave early you will not be refunded on any nights you are not staying.

RUN to the hotel next door!!!!

Stayed August 2013
Brooklyn NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My Family and I have been going to Cape May for many years. Many times in the past I have had to go back to reviews to remember WHY we have never stayed here. I do remember we stayed at Summer Station (which is great) and decided we wanted to extend our stay in Cape May but they already booked our room after our 7 days. We stopped by the Periwinkle and yes I do remember the rudeness and ONLY CASH, so that was the end of that. I was so excited to see them getting the help they DESPERATLY need on Hotel Impossible last night. Besides the Son I can't believe the patience Anthoney had with the Mother and Daughter and stuck it out. But now I am so angry seeing what a WASTE OF TIME it was from the reviews and what I read as the show was ending. They REDID the lobby after the show left. It was Beautiful! So many hotels that could really have used their help and these people get all the help this Man could give them and NOTHING has changed. Stay at The Grand right next door or Summer Station. You usually can't go wrong.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

These reviews are very helpful. However the comments from the inn just sound like excuses. Stop it ! Apologize and fix the problem. Stop making excuses and own up to your short comings. Stop blaming other people. You have the power to fix the things in these comments. Do it ! Enough with the excuses

Stayed October 2013
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Just a couple of things: no closet, no place to put luggage which u have to live out of because there isn't anyplace to put clothing that isn't hung up. 1 mirror, broken coffee pot, tv limited service. Cleaning staff was excellent & friendly, the office crew could learn a lot from them. I always want to be told thank you for staying with us when I check out of a room. After they fixed the tv one evening they asked us to write a review on trip advisor so here it is

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Periwinkle Inn? Share your experiences!