“Amazing views!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 42 hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Amazing views!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

My husband, 1 year old daughter, and myself stayed for three nights beginning on Labor Day Monday. Getting to the entrance is confusing. It's on what I considered the back side of the hotel. But its genius, because every room (that I could tell) had an ocean facing balcony (awesome!!). We needed a room that could be separated so that we could put our daughter to bed and still have the freedom to roam around the room, and not go to bed with her at 7:30, or sit in the dark of a conventional hotel room. The Ocean Club was great because we put her in the front, living room, area and then we still had access to the master bedroom, kitchenette, bathroom, and balcony. The location was a bit of a drawback for me. The hotel is located basically at the end of the beach. We were near the little boardwalk. Which was cute, but we spent one day in Ocean City for actual boardwalk action. It was a couple of miles to walk into town to the little shops. So we never did it. We only had two close restaurant options: the hotel restaurant, which was good, but pricey, and the restaurant at the hotel next to ours, which was okay. It was our first venture to Cape May. We had a good time, and now we know what to expect next time.

I think this hotel is a good one. It's difficult to find a room like this one in CM. I was thankful to find it. We had a great time. :)

• Stayed September 2012
OCM_Management_Team, OCH Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you for your review! If you visit us during peak season, our front desk staff can provide you with instructions on how to take the complimentary trolley into the heart of the town! We hope to see you and your family again soon.

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel is very nice, the rooms and lobby are more modern than your typical beach hotel. But what really made it for me was the amazing food and the people who work there. The manager of the hotel made an effort to get to know our group (9 women celebrating their 40th birthday) with complimentary drinks around the pool. The breakfast in the restaurant was amazing and everything I had poolside was so good too- I am obsessed with their hummus! You cross the road to get to the beach, it was convenient and there was great service on the beach for lounge chairs, towels, light food and drink. Overall, a great place to stay!!!!

Room Tip: I thought it was worth it to have a balcony. Also, I was sharing with friends and a suite worked ou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again soon.

West Chester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and our 5 month old spent the night in October for a wedding we were attending. Right off the bat we knew we wanted a hotel that was clean and up to date as we wanted to be as comfortable as possible considering this was our first overnight with our son. We chose a standard king room facing the town. This hotel is NOT your typical "Jersey Shore" Motel style. It is nicely renovated and the attention to detail showed. We arrived early and were able to check right in and get situated in our room. The furnishing were modern and tastefully designed. The beds were large and sooooo sooo comfortable. Balconies are a nice size and the bathroom really isnt anything to brag about, but it is clean and the shower has a GLASS door which is hard to find down the shore! We set up a pack and play for our son, brought his bouncer and with that extra gear in addition to our suitcase there was still PLENTY of extra room. The hallways are lacking in appearance, however it didn't bother me. We didnt get to utilize the pool considering it was chilly however it looked nice and the tiki bar outside seems like it would be a blast in the summer! The inside bar/restaurant was nice, but I didnt try it out so I really cant review that. The hotel is right on the beach and I did see they set up a cabana for a couple staying at the hotel which I thought was a really nice feature. The only reason I didnt give this hotel 5 stars was the price. I paid $180 which I am ok with, but it is the off season & mid week. I can only imagine what the prices are on the weekends and in season. This is Cape May trying to get away with Atlantic City prices. That was the only thing I really didnt like. I would stay here again and def would recommend it to anyone who is looking for something other than a B&B while staying in Cape May.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Everything I'm about to say is specific to the off season. The hotel experience would be completely different in the peak of summer. My husband and I spent 4 days at this hotel in the second week of October 2012. We prefer privacy so we opted for a hotel rather than a B&B. We had a two-room suite with a wetbar, which included a single serve coffeemaker, microwave, small fridge and sink, and a nice size balcony with an ocean view. The room was comfortable and clean. The balcony also overlooks the pool, a tiki bar and a sundeck, all of which are well maintained. Because it was the off season and the hotel was mostly empty, the deck was peaceful and quiet and did not interfere with the sound of the ocean. However, in the peak season, the deck area and bar would be very noisy and the sundeck filled with people and smell of cigarette smoke. Not quite what we had in mind. However, for those into the party scene, it would be great. Some advice about the room...we originally booked the cabana sundeck room, thinking it would have a larger balcony and more privacy due to curtains. BUT, the balcony in those rooms go directly onto the public sundeck (hence the need for the curtains) and are less private. Such a set-up would be perfect for families who are vacationing together with children, as would similar rooms that are beside the pool. Luckily we were able to switch to a higher floor with the wetbar. Although the room was well apportioned with storage space, the wetbar had no sponge, silverware or dish towels. We paid $169 for the room...a terrific bargain compared to summer rates. Because we were there mid week, the hotel restaurant and bar were closed. Complimentary coffee, tea, muffins and croissants are available until 10 AM. The coffee (Illy coffee) was quite good, as were the croissants. The location is great...walking distance to many great restaurants and the heart of Cape May shopping. Bottom line: If you are into the party scene, this is a great beachfront hotel in the summer. If you want solitude, wait for the Fall and enjoy a great hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better; if you don't like noise, ask to be away from the pool. The sundeck ca...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again soon!

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel, even though it was the end of the season and most of the regular features, such as the bar/dining room were unavailable. The hotel is furnished in a contemporary style, extremely clean and very comfortable. We stayed in a two room suite that included a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker, 2 flat screen tvs and the most luxurious and comfortable bed and bedding that I have ever experienced in a hotel. We did not have issues with the bathroom being too small or the fan being noisy and the water stayed where it belonged. The oceanview bedroom had a nice size private balcony with 2 patio chairs and a table where we could relax with our morning coffee. Since it was October and we experienced some cold, rainy weather, the comfort of the suite was very welcoming. We also found the staff to be very personable, knowledgeable and extremely helpful and didn't encounter some of the problems that one of the reviewers complained about. We had serious car issues upon arriving and they went out of their way to accommodate us including early check-in and assisting us with taxi service when needed. Even though we were without a vehicle for a couple of days, everything was pretty much within walking distance. As for the rates, although I would love for them to be lower (as anyone would) they are reasonable when compared to other oceanfront and upper scale hotels in Cape May. You get what you pay for, and in this case, the cleanliness, comfort and luxury of the hotel warranted the rates much more than some of the outdated run-of-the-mill hotels that are there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Park City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We are on our last night at the hotel and I hope this review isn't premature. We are paying $269 plus tax a night for room 104. They offered no military discount, which I rarely find anymore and always concerns me. It doesnt have to be much to show support, but you have to wonder about places who don't have some way to show support. When I called and made reservations for the long holiday weekend I was told beach chairs were included. When we checked in we were told they were no longer available for the season and we could go to town and buy some....I wanted to say "hey Ms Front Desk idiot" if I had been told the truth I would have brought my own. We were also told that on Monday we get a Free continental breakfast..if that turns out to be untrue, I will return to edit my review. I don't appreciate staff being uninformed or not truthful. The weekends they don't offer a free breakfast. They charged $2 for coffee when my husband went looking for it. Seems like sometimes they may offer it for free but the front desk lady turned to the manager to check and see about the charge, which struck my husband as strange. It's either a charge or it's free.. A single cup coffee maker in the room would be an easy touch. Our room is nicely decorated. They could have made some adjustments in the remodel to increase the bathroom size. There would have been plenty of room to take from the living room. The bathroom is small and just like other reviews the fan is super annoying. The fan couldn't possibly help with all the water that comes out of the shower with the half door style. But it's modern. The suite design is nice, but we would prefer to have the bigger TV in the bedroom than in the living room. The bath products are nice and have a great scent. The bed is comfy and we felt the room was clean. The AC is loud and will wake you as it shuts on and off, and we even had a sleep machine going to try and drown it out. Tonight we will try and turn it off and just have the door open since its cool out. The pool is lovely but they allow smokers to use it as their smoking lounge since smoking isn't allowed in the rooms. The pool chairs are high end and they have nice towels. The tiki hut is right at the pool but the menu was really limited. The bartender was a bit rude at first but he did pour a mean drink. We didn't eat at the restaurant because they didn't have much of a vegetarian selection for me and nothing seemed unique enough for my husband but they had a good crowd every time we walked by. The hotel is situated about as far east as you may want to be from the action...about .7 miles to Jackson street. With so many great places to stay in this town, this place is an average choice but with a few improvements and a reality check on the room prices it could be more highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get it in writing...they said we got free beach chairs and continental breakfast but I don't hav...
Washington, DC District of Columbia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Our first stay in cape may. Overall good hotel. Not great value for price but I believe everything in cape may is pricey. Most review on trip advisor are accurate, would rec requesting higher floor room as you will hear less noise from
Bar area. One complaint the maid service wasn't great for the price we paid. We left one morning at 10am came back at 3. And room wasnt cleaned. COmplained to front desk and never heard anything back.

• Stayed September 2012
OCM_Management_Team, Ocean Club Hotel Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please know that we are always looking to improve, and we will use your review to help us do so. We hope you are able to visit with us again this season!

OCH Management

Been to Ocean Club Hotel? Share your experiences!