“Better than the rest in Cape May” 4 of 5 stars

1035 Beach Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #15 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersBronze level
NY
“Better than the rest in Cape May”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed at the Ocean Club Hotel over Labor Day weekend and had a lovely time. The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant, the hotel was very clean and in the process of modernization (tiki bar, pool, restaurant, rooms and lobby all redone but hallways not yet). The beach and pool service was impeccable and you definitely felt "taken care of". We could tell that this property is striving to be a 4+ star hotel. However, for a Ritz Carlton price ($500 a night with all of the taxes for a standard suite) you expect more of a Ritz Carlton atmosphere and unfortunately the hotel falls a little short. For example, the valet parking (and very cool attendant) is only available until 6-7pm, so for those of us who are New Yorkers who have 8pm or later dinner reservations you have to get your own car and repark it (not a deal breaker but for a luxury hotel not really acceptable) Also, you are only allowed 1 towel per person at the pool or beach (yes they bend the rules a bit and to be fair I got a second towel) but common sense tells you that you need a towel to lay on your lounge chair and one to dry off with, towel rationing should not happen at a 5 star hotel. The air conditioning works properly (to discredit all of those reviews that say the air doesn't work it does you just have to remember to keep your room key in the slot next to the door), however the thing is so loud that my BF who is the heavier sleeper out of us two said he felt like he was sleeping in the subway and had to sleep all day on the beach to make up for his lack of sleep due to the AC noise the night before. (The AC is really that loud and makes you get up at least 3 times a night which negates the super comfy bed). Also the exhaust fan in the bathroom is extremely loud as well (very annoying and you can't shut it off). Additionally don't ask for glasses to take back to your room from the tiki bar (if you brought your own bottle of wine)...we were presented with disposable plastic cups (not the ones that look like glasses).

All in all we had a very good and relaxing stay and I would recommend this hotel to others looking for an "upscale" experience because in reality for Cape May this is as good as it gets, there isn't much competition because most of the hotels/motels are so rinky dink. So we would come back, it's on the beach, has beach and pool wait service, very comfy beds etc...another good thing is that you can use the hotel amenities and stay parked after check out.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed at the resort for two nights and was so disappointed. Paying close to $400 we have certain expectations. After checking in and getting a very detailed explanation of how to work the airconditioning we walked through a very dingy hallway and waited 10 minutes for the one elevator to arrive. The room was ok but surprise to see no coffee? Tried to use the safe which didn't work and called down to the front desk twice and was told both times to wait 15 minutes....we ended up late for our dinner reservations and the safe never worked....finally the next morning they sent someone up to look at it and they told us the batteries needed to be replaced. Had a nice time at the pool but waited 30 minutes for our drinks (only 5 other people at the pool) and when receiving our bill we where overcharged. Headed up to the room for a shower and discovered no hot water, called the front desk and shared our experiences and was told we would get a call back in a few minutes from a manager...that was 6:00 pm Thursday.........still waiting?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011 via mobile

You must see this wonderful brand new hotel. Everything is superb from the moment you walk in: excellent food, friendly service, spacious rooms, fantastic pool and private beach. We enjoyed every moment!

• Stayed August 2011
Edgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

My fiance and I decided to try something new, we've been going to Cape May every year since we were kids, so we gave Ocean Club a try. This hotel is beautiful! Our room was on the sundeck, which was very convenient because of the accessibility. The pool area left us speechless. The tiki bar was a very nice touch. Such a dramatic change for Cape May. The bed was super comfortable and the room was very modern but hallways were a bit outdated but we were staying the rooms not the halls so they didn't bother ME. The staff, especially the front desk employee Sarah and pool boy John, was beyond helpful. They tended all of our needs, and always asked if we needed more help. I will definitely return with or without my fiance.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We travel a lot and stay at high rated hotels. We felt like the owner is trying hard to make this a 5 star hotel but skimping as he does it. This hotel is falling short in many ways. No iron or coffee machine in the room. Ridiculous. At least have free coffee downstairs for the guests. The maid reused the tissue box I had thrown in the garbage pail and just put a couple of tissues in it. Originally it had two different kind of tissues and the box was already ripped and stained. Might sound petty but when you are paying high prices you expect a certain degree of class. No replacement of amenities after the first night . Had to ask for my room to be vacuumed after they came in and just made the beds. Very obvious it needed to be vacuumed. John at the pool was great and an asset to this company. The guys at the beach were great too. The other staff was young and very inexperienced. If you want a 5 star hotel hire older experienced workers not young kids they do not even have the command of English. The pool is very nice, the beds extremely comfortable and the decor very chic. For the price they charge per night this should have been an exceptional experience. Overall it was alright. I believe that they will have no choice but to work the value/price equation or they won't be in business for long.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Berlin, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

My fiance and I stayed in the sundeck suite at the hotel this August. I must say, if you are going to stay at the hotel, this is the way to go. There are private chaise chairs outside the room and we never had to worry about finding a spot by the pool. If you are not beach or pool goers, this room is for you. I have some pros and cons on the hotel. First, when you are paying ~$500(with taxes) a night for a room in Cape May, you should expect to receive the best of the best. I do understand the hotel had recently reopened and was still working out some kinks in the hotel. If your guests do not feel the hotel is running up to par as of yet, do not charge this obscure price for mediocre service. I commend the hotel on it's green initiative with the airconditioner. However, there were several times I woke up during the night sweating because the air conditioner wasn't working properly. It was making odd noises and no air was coming out. It eventually turned back on, so I didn't feel it necessary to bring to the staffs attention/ The rooms were nicely renovated, however there were certain details that were overlooked in the renovation process. For example, there was something protruding from underneath the carpet in our room. I have no idea what it was, but it was very noticeable something was just carpeted over. Again, I think whoever designed the rooms did a fabulous job, but the person who actually carried out the work lacked in craftsmanship. The hallways have yet to be renovated and are an odd orange color. Along with other guests, I noticed there was only one elevator in the whole building, however this was not a problem for us being on the second floor. I am extremely picky on what hotel I stay at, so in addition to having clean, luxurious rooms, I expect exceptional food...and definitely room service! Again, for $500 a night, we did not receive room service. I would expect this at that price. We also could not eat at the hotel our first night because "they were booked". We looked around, and saw that two tables were taken! Two. We then went back to our room and made reservations at another restaurant and came back down a half hour later. We looked into the SeaSalt and saw 5 tablets taken with several open. There was more than enough room to accommodate a party of 2. In my opinion, if you are not adequately staffed or have not yet figured out how to run the hotel as efficiently as you would like, hold off on charging me $500 a night. Last but not least, on our last day, we ate breakfast at the hotel before leaving. I had to send back my eggs twice because scrambled eggs should not ooze water when cut into. I think scrambled eggs are one of the few foods you cannot screw up, and somehow the chef managed to do so....twice. Anyone can comment and apologize after reading this post and say this was not brought to the hotel's attention, however it certainly was and there is no way to take back the $500 I spent each night. Until the hotel has perfected it's service, I recommend anyone looking for a classy stay with 4-5 start service in Cape May to stay at Congress Hall, where you would certainly get that for less than $500 a night. Finally, we are getting married in Cape May next summer and were looking for a nice hotel to recommend to our 150 guests. I will not be recommending this hotel to them at this moment.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
OCM_Management_Team, Ocean Club Hotel Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about your stay. Please rest assured that your feedback will help us improve upon the property.

As you noted, your concerns were not raised during your stay. Had you done so, please know we would have made every attempt to address your issues. While we strive for perfection, if we fall short we would like for our guests to let us know while they are still in residence so we can try to improve the quality of their stay.

As a guest staying in a sundeck suite, you had the ability to order food from your sundeck cabana area during pool hours. There is no other room service offered by the hotel at this time. Please note that this is reflected on our website as well.

We apologize if we fell short of your expectations and wish you well with your impending nuptials.
Patterson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Where do I start...We arrived at the Ocean Club around 11:30(very easy drive and easy to get to) and our room was still occupied. They gave us our parking pass for our car and told us we had full access to the pool, restaurant, parking lot and bar. We just went to the beach and were surprised to see the hotel waiters serving food and drinks on the beach. We ordered 2 Shrimp Cocktail and the Chicken Quesadilla...it was awesome. While swimming in the ocean we saw several Dolphins swimming past us, only 25 yards away! We wanted to stay on the beach longer but we also wanted to check in at 3pm. The front desk was pleasant during check in (no rudeness as other people experienced) we headed to our room on the 3rd floor. It was a good sized room, modern with a balcony with a direct view of the ocean(all the rooms have a direct view and it's nice). The only problem was, OUR ROOM WAS NOT CLEANED YET!! I have worked in the hotel industry and know miscommunication between housekeeping and the front desk happens but it's still a bad experience for the guest! I called the front desk and they handled it well. We were upgraded to the "Pent House" on the 6th floor. The pent house was a bit larger and may have been nicer decorated than the room on the 3rd floor. I will say for sure, the view was even better from this floor! The two queen beds were perfect, the sheets, blankets and pillows were top grade as you would have in a 4-5 star Hotel. The bathroom is smallish but not cramped. It doesn't have a bathtub, only a modern glass enclosed shower. The room and Bath are all new and modern with a very modern A/C unit that may confuse some people. That explains some negative reviews about the room's temp not being cool enough. You must have your room key inserted in the thermostat for it to operate and the A/C shuts of when the Balcony door is left open! The Hotel is also in a very upscale residential area that is still a bit quaint with a few restaurants and shops to walk to. The beach is across the street from the hotel which I thought might ruin the effect of my water veiw...I always prefer to have direct beach front. I almost didn't stay here because of this issue and I'm glad I decided to stay here! Again, the location is perfect...It's not crowded and you'll find that the Dolphin/whale watching boats are in this area, because this is where the Dolphins are. I saw over 50 Dolphins during my 2 days, they swim in both directions all day long. The only restaurant "that's on the beach" is a bit grungy to say the least, to the point it may ruin your appetite. The steak I ordered was pretty good though. We should have eaten at the hotel for a better experience.
Wildwood is a short drive away and we had fun there. We went on the rides and shopped on the boardwalk(you must haggle just for fun). It's a bit crazy and it can get crowded late in the day. Overall Wildwoods was a good experience but I'm very glad I stayed in Cape May. The Wildwood area is a bit grungy and crowded, also... the water is 100's of yards away once you step onto the sand (Cape May's shore is only feet away!). We didn't try the "long walk" to the water in Wildwood. So in my opinion it's best to stay in Cape May for the beauty and visit Wildwood. Also, we took the drive to Sunset Beach to watch the sunset(it was cloudy but still nice), you can eat at a restaurant there and check out the gift shop.Ultimately, I could have just stayed at the Ocean Beach Hotel, walk the road to the shops, rent a bike or lounge at the beach watching the Dolphins... while being served food! Overall, it was a great experience.

Room Tip: request a higher floor, the view is awesome and it's worth the wait for the elevator.