“Great Addition to Cape May!” 5 of 5 stars

1035 Beach Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #15 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Great Addition to Cape May!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I have been going to Cape May for a few years now and love the character and quality of the town. The addition of the Ocean Club has taken my experiences at Cape May to the next level. It provides the most modern and comfortable accomodations coupled with a perfect location and all the amenities you would want for a vacation. I look forward to staying here regularly on my future visits.

Room Tip: Get up early to go for a walk or a run and then grab a great seat next to the pool or on the beach!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Hoboken, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Ocean Club two weekends ago and truly had one of the best Cape May experiences to-date (which is saying a lot considering I’ve been going my entire life). The front desk were absolutely pleasant, helpful and courteous. They had dinner and lunch recommendations lined up for us and were always eager to help. The rooms were done beautifully—everything is VERY VERY new—which is always a pleasant experience. The décor is clean and modern, but the main focal point of the room is definitely the uninterrupted view of the ocean. The view is truly breathtaking—my husband and I were only there for a long weekend and managed to feel like we had been away for weeks. Waking up to that view and stepping out onto our own (private) balcony has to be the most refreshing experience for me in a while. I am back at work now and can actually picture it when I close my eyes. Seriously—it. is. beautiful.
I definitely consider the Ocean Club to be my new favorite place to stay in CM. I’ve stayed in MANY places, and the view, the spacious, clean, beautifully decorated rooms, the pool, the pool bar, and the friendly staff are really one-of-a-kind in Cape May. We have already booked another long weekend for this upcoming weekend (viva Summer Fridays!).
I only checked tripadvisor since I was a lil’ bored at work and was shocked to read bad reviews. When I read reviews like that though, I always remind myself how there are really unhappy people in the world who can ruin even the most beautiful of places/situations/vacation weekends. It makes me cautious when reading other people’s reviews I guess!!
SO—if you are a normal, balanced, hard to please person with fine tastes who doesn’t have a rain cloud following them everywhere, I can pretty much promise you will love this place.
Go for a nice long weekend, see why Cape May has one of the best beaches in the world! Also, make sure to pick up some fudge before you go back to reality!! That’s what I always do!!

Room Tip: Suite on top floor-King sized bed you melt into
Nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I stayed at ocean club this past weekend with my husband and daughters (3 and 1) and must say this was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in cape may. The hotel is newly redone with a great sleek modern style. I remember telling my husband quite a few times that it didn't feel like we were in cape may while lounging at the pool. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the beds were comfortable,and the pool and beach service so convenient. They provided umbrellas beach chairs and towels and set them up for us on the beach, which all mothers should know is amazing. Better yet was being able to order lunch and have it brought out to you. And the pool was defiantly made with kids and comfort in mind. We were able to try the restaurant sea salt as well and def recommend that. I had the scallops my husband the lamb and kids the sliders all were delicious. I am defiantly going to make this my new cape may spot.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

This was my first visit to Cape May and I will be back but I will be staying at a different hotel. All of the comments made in the post "3 star hotel at a 5 star price tag" are SPOT on! While the interior of the rooms has been updated the hall ways of the hotel are gross and make you feel like you are in a la quinta inn. We had a connecting suite (one room was a suite and the other room was normal with 2 queen beds) and the living room of the suite was beyond HOT and the AC did not cool the room. The staff at this hotel are beyond incompetent. We asked about the Trolly that stops at the front of the hotel and they had no idea what we were talking about! This was only the tip of the iceberg. The service at the pool was beyond horrible. We waited patiently for the waitress to come and take our drink orders and she never even acknowleded that we were there and kept just passing us by and taking other peoples orders. When we tried to stop her get brushed us off and serviced another couple who just sat down. I went up to the bar to order a drink and the bartender just stared at me. No "hello", "What can I get you", Nothing. I told him our drink orders and he was upset that we did not order through the drink waitress. I explained that we have been waiting and he made the drinks and told me he will transfer our tab to the waitress. When it was time to have another drink I tried to get the waitresses attention and once again I was ignored. I went up to the bar and the bartender was once again VERY rude. He seemed like he did not want to be bothered. It is very obvious that the owners of the hotel are there every day as the only people who get service at this hotel are them. I was passed over SO many times for drinks at the pool while the hotel owners (and there other friends) were being waited on hand and foot while the actual people paying to stay there are ignored. The beach service (umbrellas and chair setup) is now NOT free and you have to pay for an umbrella. The staffs setting you up on the beach were very nice but they ran out of umbrellas one day since they were letting non guests of the hotel pay to use the umbrellas. Considering we paid $1000 a night to stay here I was VERY unimpressed. The owners of this hotel need to stop using the service people at the hotel until the hotel guests are taken care of and they need to educate their staff on Cape May. I would be embarrassed if I owned this place!!! Disaster!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
OCM_Management_Team, Management at Ocean Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
We take all complaints seriously and are always looking for constructive criticism to help us improve. Please find our responses to the concerns you expressed below:

We are sorry if you were upset by the halls. They are basic hallways. Most guests do not linger in the halls, preferring instead to spend the majority of their time at the pool, beach, lobby or their rooms.

The air conditioning in your suite was tested and no issues were found. It seems the likeliest explanation is that you were unfamiliar with the Evolve Air Conditioning system which operates the air conditioner in your room. Once your room key card is inserted in the slot by your door, the air conditioner can be adjusted to whatever temperature you wish. Had this been brought to our attention we would have been more than happy to advise you of same.

Just to clarify, the rate you paid was below the $1,000 you posted and was, in fact, for two separate rooms which are capable of connecting via a doorway.

We apologize that the staff member you spoke to was not versed in the trolley stops. In addition, the service you state you experienced at the pool is unacceptable. We insist that our guests receive the highest caliber of respect from our staff. This matter will be investigated and addressed accordingly.

Please note that there are many guests and their extended families who, during the course of their stays with us, have developed special rapports with the staff. If you mistook these guests for owners and if those guests received treatment that you felt was preferential, we apologize. We feel that our staff should treat all guests with the utmost friendliness.

You are incorrect when you state that beach service is not free. Chair setup and beach towels are complimentary. Umbrellas are available for a small fee. As is typical of all hotels, all items are subject to availability. With regard to your claim about umbrellas being issued to non-guests, we are not sure how you were able to distinguish between guests and non-guests and can find no record of this occurring.

We are sorry if we fell short of your expectations. The portions of your critique which offer constructive criticism will be reviewed and internalized so that we can grow and improve. Thank you for same.

Best regards,
Ocean Club Hotel Management
Wyckoff, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Went this past weekend with my boyfriend. you pay for a luxury hotel but what you get is really a very standard experience. these other reviewers are impressed by a redone hotel but there is nothing elegant about this place. if you want a beautiful hotel, go to congress hall.
there are so many things wrong with this place: the room phone didnt work, the bathrooms were tiny, the carpet is cheesy and cheap, the hallways are gross stucco and cement!, there are no bed skirts on the beds, there is no breakfast offered, the only food available is the five options on the menu at the tiki bar, the tiki bar didnt even have any iced tea!!! i asked for water and i got setlzer, no coffee maker in the room. therefore, the ammenities were non-existent.
the staff are all foreigners and incompetent. the server at the pool's head spun when we moved from one side of hte pool to the other and therefore, said she couldnt help us anymore. great. we went to the restaurant just to look around, and asked what time the bar stayed open unti. you would have thought we asked her how to cure cancer. she had no clue.
stay away from this place. its cheaply done, no amenities, horrible and unknowledgeable staff. its also a very long walk to the town, which was so annoying,
if you have the money to spend, go to a more established and well run hotel.
i was embarrased to spend so much money and be staying at this hotel.
oh, and the air conditioner was BEYOND loud and clicked on and off all night long. sounded like you were in an airport.
DO NOT waste your money at this non-luxury hotel. almost ruined our experience in this beautiful town

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
We are sorry if we fell short of your expectations. Please see below for our responses to your concerns:

The phone in your room was inspected and there were no issues found with same. We apologize if the instructions for its use were unclear.

You stayed with us prior to the restaurant's opening. If you found the selections to be limited, we apologize. Luckily, Cape May has a number of wonderful dining options available to guests of the town. In addition, we are happy to report the restaurant has since opened.

We are not quite sure if your comment about staff nationalities was meant to be derogatory. If so, not only is your comment false, it is also offensive.

If our staff provided you with less than exemplary service, our sincerest apologies. We insist on the highest caliber of service from our staff and are always striving to better ourselves and the hotel. We thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Best regards,
Ocean Club Hotel Management
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I have been visiting Cape May for the past 5 years and my vacations there only get better and better, this year included! Cape May is such a historic place with a very unique history, but this year, the added element of the modern but chic Ocean Club was the perfect touch for me and my family. It was like being on South Beach without the noise. To say we were impressed would be an understatement. They really went above and beyond everything we thought Cape May hospitality was capable of. The staff was so friendly and accommodating, esp that Suzy at the front desk, we loved her. Every morning that we woke, we would sit on our ocean view balcony to watch the dolphins dive in and out of the water. Truly amazing! The cuisine at the SeaSalt restaurant located on site was first class. We actually ate there twice in one week which I never do! Then to top it off, we were lucky enough to experience live music poolside. When everything is done right, you can't help but want to go back.

Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Just returned home from the Ocean Club with my husband & daughter. Overall it was a very positive experience. The hotel has only been open for 3 weeks. I booked a king suite with cabana. We had our own lounge chairs outside our room overlooking the pool and ocean. Had drinks from the poolside bar there everyday. The rooms are very nice, but the bathrooms are small. From what I was told from hotel staff, the new owners were not allowed to take any walls down, they had to work within the former Atlas Hotel. That being said, the beds were very comfortable & the room spotless. As former reviewers have written the hallways are a bit disappointing as are the stairways. This hotel is not cheap and the entire place should reflect the steep prices. We will stay at the Ocean Club again the next time we visit Cape May.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Club Hotel? Share your experiences!