“For the Birds” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 30 Activities in Cape May
More attraction details
Owner description: Birding By Boat from Cape May. We run eco-tours of Cape May Harbor and the coastal salt marsh with up close views of local wildlife. We see many Osprey, migrating shorebirds, herons and egrets, nesting colonies of gulls and terns and many other species as we cruise through the tranquil back bays. Evening trips have the added beauty of sunset along with a local heron rookery. Come join us on one of these special trips.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
in NJ
83 attraction reviews
“For the Birds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I was looking for something a bit different to do & found this trip. I phoned for info & was told to make a reservation, because if they don't have enough people they won't go out (enough was 6) we got there early, the cruise goes out of the Miss Chris Marina. I expected a small group on our pontoon boat. They kept coming & coming, there had to have been 25-30 people on board. Well the reason why became apparent shortly. As we cruised up the marsh our naturalist pointed out a green heron in the trees & an osprey on it's nest , some never looked up. Later he pointed out a peregrine falcon in a tower, again some had no response, (husband & I were impressed) as we came to more open water the captain said "there she is, the brown booby" Holy cow if it hadn't have been a pontoon boat I think we would have tipped over! The booby was the reason the trip was SRO, apparently it's VERY rare to see one in NJ, it prefers the area around Puerto Rico. So there were many happy birders, the captain came around several times, without unduly disturbing the bird so everyone could see/get their shot. For many it was THE highlight.
We enjoyed ourselves, we saw birds we didn't ordinarily see Green heron, who wasn't green, the ospreys, the falcon, great blue heron, willets, double crested cormorants & sanderlings. Ok & the booby. I was hoping to see a red knot, maybe next time. The boat had a bin of binoculiars, bushnell, nikkon & tasco which were FREE to use. No freebies on whale watches, that made for a nice change. The boat also had plenty of guide books & flyers to ID any of the birds you see & get more info on them. The boat is very stable so at any point you can get up & walk around to see what you need to see.
Admission for the 2 hour ride which left at 10am on Saturday was 18.00 apiece, that is for seniors & the captain very gallantly questioned whether I qualified! (55 & over) I thought it was money well spent, I'd go again.

Visited September 2011

Newark, Delaware
22 attraction reviews
“Good trip - great for birders”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I used a 50% off deal for this trip. My son had fun with crayons on the boat and he kept himself busy coloring. Couple of very positive points about this trip was that we were only 6 people on the boat for this trip and had all the attention of the guide and captain. We used the binoculars on board available free of charge. These two positives along with the 50% off deal makes me feel this trip was worth it. The guide was very enthusiastic birder and explained every bird that he spotted. The binoculars came in handy providing the required magnification to spot and view the birds. If you dont use the binoculars, there is nothing much in this. One disappointment was that we couldnt get close enough to the birds - but I guess thats the way it has to be since there is a chance we may scare them off if we get too close.

Visited July 2011
New York City, New York
“Great Trip! Best Salt Marsh Cruise in Cape May.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We were in Cape May with friends for the spring shorebird migration. We heard about this trip from a man we met at Reed's beach and boy was it worth it. The birds are much closer than at the beach. You barely need binoculars. At one point there were so many different birds along the banks of the marsh it seemed like everyone was looking at a different type. I can't wait to go back in July to see the Osprey's after they hatch.
Another good thing about this boat is that my friends mom who is in a wheelchair was able to roll right on and had a space right up front. The Captain kept moving the boat so she could see what everyone was looking at from where she was.

Visited May 2011
New Jersey
“Perfect for serious birders and novices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

A highlight of a long-weekend suprise birthday party was a wonderful tour of Cape May inlets with wonderfully knowledgeable and enthusiastic captain and naturalist. Everyone loved it, serious birders and absolute novices. Just perfect.

Visited May 2011
Davis, CA
“Excellent bird sightings from the Osprey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

During a fall birding tour to Cape May, I utilized the Osprey to access several wonderful spots for my group. We had great photo ops and excellent views of Yellow-crowned Night-heron, Bald Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, numerous American Oystercatcher, Red-throated Loon, Common Tern and numerous other species. Captain Bob Lubberman, and his on-board natrualist were both very helpful in getting us on all the birds. I highly recommend taking a morning or afternoon boat ride on the Osprey. You won't be disappointed!
Terry Colborn