“Great anniversary dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 110 restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Try google maps... search for it under cape may
Fanwood, New Jersey, United States
“Great anniversary dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We ate here on 3/27/13 while in Cape May for our anniversary. It came highly recommended by our innkeeper. The seafood is as fresh as it can be and plentiful. My wife had a delicious 11/2lb lobster and I had a broiled combination of shrimp, scallops, flounder and crab cake. Service was very good and prices very reasonable.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

56% Recommend
Toms River, New Jersey
“Excellent Lunch!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We ended up here kind of by accident. We were looking for a later breakfast and every place we went to was closed because it was the off season. We finally just parked and got out at Washington Square and planned on walking to another restaurant. We walked by the Fish Market and looked at the menu. It had a great selection and was not too busy. The staff was very friendly and we were seated immediately. Our waitress was fantastic! The portions were just right. I had the House Special Lobster Roll Sandwich. The lobster was cooked and seasoned just right and then piled on a lightly toasted roll. There was so much lobster, I had to eat half of it with a fork before I could eat the sandwich. My wife had no complaints about her food either. This is a great place for a quick lunch!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not off to a good start...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

When we got to the restaurant, we were offered one of three tiny tables for 2 placed in the middle of the restaurant on top of each other and wedged between the booths. We declined and they offered us a booth if we came back in 10 minutes. They took our name and when we came back in 10 minutes the hostess looked at us and asked if she could help us. That's okay that she didn't remember (even though no one else came in between us), but we jogged her memory and she proceeded to seat us in this incredibly small booth on the opposite side of the rest of the restaurant. There was an empty larger booth on the other side of our divider which sat empty the entire we were there. Let's just say the hostess could have done a much better job, and we could have said something, but we didn't at this point. The food was generally good. My husband and I shared the clams casino and the conch fritters. Both were very good. I had the macaroni and cheese w/ lobster which was also very good. However, my husband ordered the pasta with clams and he was really disappointed. He said the pasta tasted mushy, and that it was his fault for ordering pasta in a seafood joint. There are so many other consistently good restaurants in Cape May that we probably won't be revisiting the Fish Market.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Princeton, New Jersey
“Not sure what I ate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

After many years of vacationing in Cape May my husband and I went back this summer for a few days in July. We ate at this restaurant our first night. We both ordered our favorite food and that's soft she'll crab. Well folks I have to tell you I could not identify it on the plate. So I though well surely once I taste this it will be good? No not the case either. This hard brown mass on our plates most likely was a cooked and frozen SS crab that had been defrosted. That's the only explanation. When asked by the waitress how we were doing I said to her I was so disappointed in the quality of the meal and she just smiled and said she was sorry. Soft shell crab can really be a winner almost anywhere if not fried too much but not to be able to identify it now that's something. Would not ever recommend this place. There were a lot of screaming children as well and it was very crowded!

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pa.
“"Just OK in a town with so many Great Choices"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Cape May New Jersey is a special seaside town this time of year. Christmas here is the best. With the wonderful parade the first Saturday of every December and the tree lighting at the Emlem Physic estate the season goes into full swing. The old homes are tastefully decorated and the Washington Street mall glowing with white lights. It is just perfect. On this Saturday evening while strolling the mall, my wife and I decided to try the Cape May Fish Market for dinner. The mall was very crowded, but we were seated right away. Maybe a red flag should have gone up for me with so many people about town I thought without a reservation we would have to wait a bit, but no worries, I am forever an optimist! I never question the price for anything. If I get good quality, I don't mind the price. On this evening both me and my wife were very disappointed with our meals. My wife ordered the prime rib and me the crab cake. More fat than meat on the prime rib and the crab meat was not jumbo lump by any means. Being in this position is not comfortable for me because I try to stay upbeat about everything and when I do a review I like to report good things---life is too short to complain. But, we spend a great amount of time in Cape May and with so many great choices I believe I will just pass this restaurant by on our next stroll about the mall.

• Visited December 2012