“Romantic vacation spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn of Cape May

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape May
Inn of Cape May
7 Ocean Street, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #34 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Barboursville, West Virginia
“Romantic vacation spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

No phone, no alarm clock and an awesome evening on the porch. If you are looking for modern conveniences and amenities this is probably not the place for you. But, if you like antique furniture that doesn't have to match and bookshelves filled with hardback classics, you can wander in the hallways and feel like you have been transported to a more gentle time. Since parking is free we never get back in the car. The shopping is in walking distance, as is a sunset at the tip of the cape. We have dinner at Alethea's and finish our evening in the wonderful porch rockers listening to the waves crashing and the horses pulling the carriages along the avenue. In the morning we watch the sunrise and then have our breakfast at Alethea's. My husband and I have made a stay at the Inn of Cape May a tradition for visits to NJ.

Room Tip: We especially like a corner room where you can see both the ocean and the activity along the avenue.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Richfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had a room in May. When we called to book the room, the front desk lady said we would receive dinner with the room - we called around 7:30 pm. After we checked in (around 8:15), the restaurant said they closed for the night. I went to the front desk and told her and she said, "that's ok, you can have lunch tomorrow here ....", except she didn't tell me that they HAD NO LUNCH.

The lady at the desk the next day would not resolve the issue. She told me I could have a credit towards their ridiculous shop in the lobby. NO THANKS! NOT GOING BACK THERE! AND .... FYI, the room was awful and the bed was awful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at The Inn of Cape May and was delighted with my experience and will stay there again. I loved the quaint hotel from the 1800's. I'm glad that I didn't stay at a modern motel. My room door had a dead bolt and I had my cell phone if I needed to call out. Cape May is noted for its Victorian seaside resort and not for the local motels in the area. I had a fan in the room which I turned on for the evening which made the room comfortable when I returned for the night. Cooling down the rooms is not immediate. I went with the flow and feeling of Cape May and followed what Cape May is noted for and had a delightful time. Some people only enjoy complete 21st century.

Room Tip: my room was warm when I first opened the door so I turned on the ceiling fan to cool the room down a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I decided about 3 weeks before Labor Day to plan a getaway for my boyfriend and I. I called several places and either there was no vacancy or a 3 night stay was required. I came across the Inn of Cape May. They were able to accommodate us for a 2 night stay. After I booked the reservation I decided to look at some of the reviews. Mortified!! I called the hotel back with the intention of cancelling. I spoke to a representative from the hotel and she emphasized that while the hotel is not shiny and brand new IT IS very charming and well kept. She assured me that contrary to some reviews my room would be clean. She was more than right. We arrived Saturday and we're so happy with everything. Yes, the antiques clutter the entrance a bit, yes, the décor is dated. Our room was a good size with a king bed and a futon. The bathroom had a small stall shower. Even though the hotel was relatively full it was never noisy.
We laid by the pool(which was clean and uncrowded), enjoyed and relaxing late lunch on the porch. The lunch was so simple but so delicious. Thanks Altheas's! Both evenings of our stay we ended up in the rocking chairs on the porch overlooking the ocean.This place is the most relaxing place I have been in a long time.
Another great feature of the Inn was its fantastic location. It is smack dab in the middle of almost anything you would want to do in Cape May, restaurants, bike rentals, the ocean, mini golf, the mall.....
We can't wait to go back, not only to Cape May but to the Inn of Cape May. We agreed this will be our new tradition.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ithaca NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

For not caring that the internet does not work in the lobby. The desk clerks will only say that it is turned on, and no one will help if you cant get a connection. I was not alone in being unable to connect. Add, no phones in the room, our room left unlocked by housekeeping with a broken lock, unreported to the desk or to maintenance. The lock was replaced after we complained. The antique elevator must be operated by aperson after you call the fromt desk, but if the front desk doesnt call the elevator person, you can wait a long time. One member of our group was locked in her room and had to crawl out her bathroom window to call for help. You get the idea that not all the mishaps are due to the hotels fabled ghosts. On the plus side, good location near the beach and a nice front porch.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
spruce creek
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My sisters and I were very disappointed. Our room was dirty, carpet filthy.
I had to ask for light bulbs.
Bathroom fixtures were hanging off wall.
It was a suite and suppose to have a adjoining bathroom. Well, it was in the one bedroom, so everyone was awakened anytime some one needed to use the facilities
The outside was kept very nice but inside hold on to your jeans.
Never will go back.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Woodstock, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I used to stay there as a kid during the 1970's and it was a grand old belle with pride in ownership and management. Alas, that is gone now. It has not been renovated since then; everything is run down and old. The restaurant has taken over from the old style grand hotel restaurant. So sad. With that said, the staff was friendly and rooms were ok, but sad to see how much it has lost in class, appeal and elegance. It needs fresh blood and ownership to invest and renovate, bringing the old Colonial Hotel to the stately position it had for a century in Cape May.

Stayed June 2013

Been to Inn of Cape May? Share your experiences!