“Great location great price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Poor Richard's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Poor Richard's Inn
You added Poor Richard's Inn to your Saves list
17 Jackson Street, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #30 of 47 Cape May B&B and Inns
Elmira, New York
“Great location great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Harriet was a great innkeeper. This is a nice quaint place to stay on jackson street right in the center of town. Our room was a bit small but hey we spent most of our time on the beach or roaming around town just having fun. We will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Jersey Shore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Poor Richard's this past weekend for a quick getaway. When booking a B&B, we were kind of constrained due to two factors. 1. We booked only one week in advance, and 2. We only stayed one night (Saturday). So I had to call about a dozen places before I found one that had an open room for just Sat night. Many of the Cape May B&Bs are 2 or even 3 night minimum stays.

We checked in around 5PM on Saturday, even though official check-in time is nice and early - 1:00. Harriet, the innkeeper, is super nice and personable. She makes you feel right at home and makes sure you are comfortable. She takes a lot of pride in Poor Richard's.

We had a room (#6) with a double bed and a twin. The room was plenty big for the two of us, but would be tight with kids. It was hot this weekend (about 90), but the air conditioner in the room worked like a charm. The room was plenty cold for sleeping.

Breakfast was pretty standard. It's a continental, so no hot food. Bagels, breads, fruit, coffee, juice. As a B&B, we thought Harriet could have focused a little more on the second B. She has a full kitchen in the back so there is the potential for a proper breakfast. I wouldn't mind paying an extra couple dollars on the rack rate for some eggs or pancakes.

We checked out at 10:30, but Harriet told us we could use her beach chairs, towels, and outdoor shower for the remainder of the day. We took advantage of this and spent the day at the beach and then showered around 5:00 in the outdoor shower. This was very accommodating of her and was really key for us to have a "home-base" during the day after checking out.

Overall, this was a basic inn. It's not that fancy, not too big, the porch is a little small, the breakfast is just OK, but the rate was good compared to other B&Bs in Cape May in June (we pd $160). So it served its purpose for us. Would we stay here again? Next time I will do some more planning, book in advance, and probably find another place for a few more bucks. Absolutely nothing against Poor Richard's or Harriet - it's just a matter of you get what you pay for here. A good value for sure.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My wife and I booked a room at the Poor Richard's Inn and we weren't disappointed. April is still the off-season, but we found that to our advantage as the town is less frenetic, the parking plentiful and free and there is a general unhurried feel about the place. The inn itself was quite cozy, the food toothsome, and Harriet the innkeeper was most friendly and accommodating. Each of the rooms and halls are adorned with her spirited and whimsical collages. We felt like we had spent the time with a good friend.
By the way, if you do go, there is a truly elegant restaurant directly behind Poor Richard's called The Merion Inn. They have early bird and night owl specials that feature much of the same evening's entrees at a discount ... well worth checking-out.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

We really loved this place. It was great for the money. Harriet is very helpful and personable. The rooms were decorated nice. The porches were the best. Both levels where you can sit and watch all the passer-bys. It was the perfect location to the beach and the mall with all the restaurants. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Box Elder, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I took my mom to Cape May for a weekend to celebrate her retirement. We knew we wanted to stay in a Victorian B&B to capture the essence of Cape May. We chose Poor Richard's not only for the atmosphere but also because they have five rooms that sleep three people (without having to request a cot), something that can be difficult to find in a B&B. The owner/artist Harriet is one of the most engaging and hilarious people we have ever met. She was great company in the mornings when we would go downstairs for breakfast (delicious!) and would entertain us with stories of what she went through in turning a run down old Victorian into an incredible inn. Our room was beautiful and the location on Jackson Street is ideal. We were only a block or so from the shops on Washington Street and an equal distance to the beach. Jackson Street is also a rather quiet street, at least in November, so we had nice quiet nights for sleep. Of course, Poor Richard's Inn is an old house, so you have the atmosphere of imperfection and age that goes with it, not everything is perfect, pristine and new. The rooms and bathrooms are all very clean and that is what is important. If you are a person who expects the atmosphere amenities of the Plaza Hotel, you are barking up the wrong tree, this place is not for you. If you are looking for a cool old Victorian and someone fun to talk to, Poor Richard's is an excellent choice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My two cousins (they are sisters) and I planned this trip in the early fall. My cousins assured me there was plenty to do in Cape May around the holidays. Beautiful decorations adorned the town and the Victorian Homes that are endless in this part of New Jersey. This was my third visit to Poor Richards Inn. My first was last summer with my ousins and then in September I took my husband Ralph there for his birthday. Ralph is used to very plush hotels so I was not sure how he would feel about a B&B but he fell in love with Harriet the innkeeper and when I asked him this Christmas if he would go there again he said "absolutely". Poor Richards Inn is loaded with charm derived from another era. The rooms are well sized and comfortable and you cannot beat the price. The best part is breakfast in the gathering room which is a wondaerful time to meet the other guests. The Inn is steps from the beach, shops and restaurants. There is never a lack of a good place to eat and the shops have quality items. I highly recommend this Inn to anyone who is not looking for the frilly hotel but who wants to be in an atmosphere of cozy comfort and a feeling of always feeling welcomed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Well, it was the coldest 4 days of this year but I was snug as a bug at Poor Richard's Inn. I spent much more time indoors than usual and I had one of the best times ever. Breakfast was great and guests are always encouraged to mingle in the Gathering Room.. The innkeeper, Harriett, is so laid back and she really takes an interest in her guests. Everyone there was happy. I slept and ate really well and can't wait until the spring to go there again

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends