“Whether you are a couple in a group of 16 or more or just the only guests, The Manse treats you special!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Manse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Manse
You added The Manse to your Saves list
510 Hughes Street, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #19 of 49 Cape May B&B and Inns
East Patchogue, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Anita and Karsten Dierk are the most graceful, competent, kind hosts who open up their home to guests with genuine care and the intention on making your stay at their home and in Cape May memorable. They prepare gourmet yet healthy, nuitritional breakfasts and deliciously home-made desserts for tea.

Anita has preserved their beauiful house which has so much hisory serving as the Manse in past years for the Presbyterian Church next store. The rooms are always spotless, the beds are most comfortable, and Anita has upgraded the rooms to include modern, beautifully designed full baths throughout the rooms.

They welcome all guests as though they were family always providing as much privacy their guests require. My husband and I have stayed at the Manse for close to twenty years visiting Cape May each year, and Anita and Karsten are as fresh and welcoming as the first year we stayed there. I highly recommend the Manse. You can explore all that Cape may has to offer with helpful recommendations from the Dierks and know that your time back at your accommodations will be most comfortable and nurturing!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

My wife and little boy (1 yr old) stayed at the Manse for a Cape May vacation. Anita and Carston (Owners) were so thoughtful and really made sure we enjoyed our stay. Anita made special trips to the grocery store just so our little boy could have the organic milk he drank at home. The B&B is clean and an ideal location...minutes from the beach, stores, and washington mall. Everytime we are in Cape May we go back to say hello to Anita and Carston. We recommend this B&B to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation in Cape May.

Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Southern New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

My DH and I decided to take a mid-week fall break and re-visit a B&B in Cape May for some R&R. It had been several years since we visited The Manse and our initial visit was at the height of the summer season. Unlike some nostalgic visions which never measure up when smacked with present day reality, we discovered that The Manse had aged remarkably well , like a fine wine. The 102 year-old property has been passed down through a few generations to Karsten and Anita Dierk, the present owners/innkeepers. And it is Karsten and Anita who give The Manse it’s warm and welcoming personality--- friendly but not at all overbearing, hospitable but never intrusive, polite but never pretentious. There are things money cannot buy. For instance at The Manse you become part of an authentic loving and functional family. It is a wonderful experience!

The first thing you will notice after a sincerely warm welcome is that The Manse is immaculately clean. For the fastidious among us, every corner has been scrubbed and polished. We prefer Room #3, but each of the rooms are uniquely decorated in a lovely Victorian motif. The wooden dressers and furniture gleam, the towels are warm and fluffy, and the bedding is fantastic. After a scrumptious breakfast and a walk or a little biking in the salt air you cannot help but fall into a deliciously peaceful afternoon nap.
And that is only the beginning…At 4pm the delightful aroma of home baked goodies wafts up the stairs. Tea is served in the dining room accompanied by Anita’s peach cobbler, or plum cake or cookies, or whatever delicious gourmet treat she has lovingly prepared.. Whatever it is, it’s addictive and I could never eat “just one”.

Breakfast is superb. I am not a “breakfast” person, however all of that instantly changed for me at The Manse. Day 1 we dined on fresh peaches and cream, a western omlette with baked ham, organic peppers, (from the backyard garden), tender onions and cheese. Toast with butter and jelly. As a finish, homemade Italian plum pastry was offered. I could not get enough of any of it.

Day 2 breakfast was just as magnificent. Fresh melon as a first course, then thick hot waffles straight from the iron sprinkled with powdered sugar and offered with syrup, or strawberry preserves. Perfectly cooked sausages were also on the table (as if the waffles weren’t enough)!

Day 1, a few hours after tea we explored the wonderful variety of Cape May restaurants and decided to eat at Frescoes. Upon our return, we catch up with our favorite TV show in the living room, watching it on the nice big screen Sony, and again Anita appears with late night chocolate chip cookies. I ate more heartily at The Manse than I had in the last four years! I could have literally existed on the bountiful breakfasts, teas, and snacks alone.

Another asset of The Manse is it’s central location. It’s near the beach, it’s near shopping, and it’s near restaurants. Everything is within a short walking distance. I highly recommend The Manse. Having stayed at various hotels and B&B’s throughout the years, to my husband and me it is simply the best.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

We stayed three nights in the Manse. It was a wonderful stay like coming back to your own family. We loved the very close relationship that the owners build up and the degree of social interaction with the other guests e.g. during breakfast or at team time on the wonderful front porch.

Breakfast and tea time is just wonderful. Everything is fresh and home made.

The rooms are very nice and clean. The service of the staff is very nice and customer oriented

• Liked — The owners, the service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

I had a nice time here but this property is not for everyone. We came with two small children and the proprietors were very kind to permit us to stay with them because very few B&B's in Cape May accept small children. Our little girl requested "sand and water" a few months back and we tried to oblige her and familiarize ourselves with this destination over a short overnight stay as a possible future longer holiday site. It is an ordeal though because our interconnecting rooms were 2 flights walkup. Breakfast is a communal affair which is lovely if you are an adult and want to eat at 9am on fine china with others around and if you like being with other people and talking to them and want to eat what they want to eat -- in our case what was on offer was blueberry pancakes with home-made whipped cream, sausages and melon although we were able to get a cheese omelette for our kids. I enjoy talking to others and the other people staying there were quite interesting with some definite repeat customers. Anita definitely has some great recipes for meals and snacks and is a great spokesperson for the assets of Cape May as well as a very welcoming person along with her husband. With small kids we recommend something more like a hotel -- or to call on a babysitting service which can be obtained from the concierge of a nearby hotel such as Congress Hall. Anita didn't know where to find us a babysitter and we wound up eating dinner on the porch via takeout from a nearby restaurant which is fine for a night but not good for us as parents if we were on a longer holiday. I would definitely return without the kids; the location is perfect on a beautiful street and I would recommend the rooms on the first flight above the main floor as they are brighter and quite cheerfully decorated. Cape May is a very nice small walkable town with a lovely town center and some very nice shops and lots of families with kids around -- go to the firehouse at 8:30am when they test the fire engines for a ground sound and light show for the kids. But beware the beach nazi -- there were these signs about beach tags required and we didn't know what they were about. Turns out you have to purchase a tag to even walk on the beach. We were there with our 2 year old who wanted to pick some shells before we left town at noon; I was going on the beach with her for about 10 minutes and this old lady walks up to me and demands we either get a tag or leave. Cape May's beach is privately owned by the City and you gotta pay $4 per person for a day-pass to go on the beach. She didn't have tags to sell us and we were not in a position to go looking for tags with 10 miinutes left on the clock. So I asked her to just leave us alone as it was clear that there were storm clouds on the horizon, that I was dressed in city clothes and was just taking my kid for a walk to put some shells in her bucket and that we are clearly not the riff-raff the beach tags are designed to get rid of. Then she gets on her walkie-talkie telling the police that I am harrassing her and to come over. I thought this was hilarious and she agreed that it was funny but that rules were rules and that I was giving her too hard a time. Anyway, we walked away 50 yards and entered somewhere else with somebody else on guard who was much more reasonable. Except for this really ridiculous experience, and I hope some official at Cape May reads this review and figures things out, Cape May is worth a visit.

• Liked — friendly accommodations in a good location
  • Disliked — propety and situations can be off-putting to certain kinds of travelers
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

Before we went, I read the news clippings about the Manse posted on their website. Anita is quoted as saying, "This is not the place for couples who want to be alone." That is definitely true, and if that bothers you, you may want to consider staying elsewhere. Staying at the Manse is like visiting old friends in their home. At some B&B's, the owners have their own living quarters in the back or the basement of the house. That does not seem to be the case at the Manse - the family lives in the rooms that are open to the public - the living room, dining room, etc.

Some people are very outgoing and wouldn't mind such a setup. I, personally, didn't mind at all. The Dierks are warm, friendly people and I found their home comfortable and inviting. My significant other, on the other hand, is pretty shy, though he works to overcome it. As a result, he felt like he had to put on his "public face" everywhere in their house, except our room, which was exhausting for him. One night after dinner, we ended up walking around Cape May (which was fine) because he wasn't tired for bed yet, but he was too tired to sit in the living room and chat with whoever would inevitably be there. If you know that feeling, another B&B or one of the local hotels might be better for you.

Stayed April 2008
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

My fiance and I stayed here a week after my first triathlon. After putting my body through such a gruelling ordeal - to say the least - my body needed to rest relax and recover ...so comfort was a key objective. This is where the Manse succeeded. The bed was so comfortable we ended up getting the information from Anita for our wedding registry and it will be the next mattress we buy for our new home!. The morning breakfast and afternoon snacks are to die for! Thanks Anita

• Liked — The sleepiong arrangements
  • Disliked — Would like to have some free beach passes
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Manse? Share your experiences!