“Love it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Harleysville, Pennsylvania, United States
“Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here for a family weekend last May. The owners are very friendly, rooms are clean, and it is in a great location. We were within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants. It was nice to sit out on the porch and not only have an ocean view but we could watch the horse and carriages go by too! I am looking forward to staying here again!

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Ringoes, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I wanted to get away for a couple of days and this was the perfect place to be. his was mid October - the weather was great, no summer crowds, and the staff was excellent. Our room was very clean and on the 3rd floor where we had a great view of the ocean. The room was large and spacious. Having a refrigerator was a nice addition. he continental breakfast left a little to be desired, but not a major problem. he staff was there to chat with us and we enjoyed their suggestions as to things to do - the nearby lighthouse/park and Sunset Beach. Great sunrise in the morning!
Because it was the off season it was not necessary to book a reservation in advance.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is a mus!
York, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I just spent our anniversary weekend at the Avondale by the sea. The room was clean and spacious, the location was within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. The owners were very friendly. We would stay here again.We would also recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms have a perfect view of the ocean.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband & I just stayed 3 nights at the Avondale and we really enjoyed it again!! Our room was very clean and comfy. We especially enjoy sitting in the rocking chairs looking out at the ocean and people watching. It is in a great location--within a few block to the Washington Street mall, historic area & restaurants. The owners & staff are very friendly.

Manahawkin, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Another wonderful weekend stay in Cape May at Avondale. Our 4th time staying here. Rooms are very clean, esp. the bathrooms. Grounds are well maintained. Owner and staff are very friendly and so helpful. Breakfast is included. There are cereals, fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, juice, coffee and tea.
You can get your breakfast and sit inside or bring it to your room and sit on the rocking chairs outside each room and enjoy a beautiful view of the ocean.
Easy walk into town and places to eat . Parking on site.

Room Tip: We always choose 3rd floor facing the ocean. However, almost all rooms provide a great view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hillsborough, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the Avondale for three nights in mid July over a weekend. We booked it last minute and the receptionist over the phone was very polite and helpful. Upon check in we were early so we gave them our cell phone number and they called us as soon as it was ready, which was an hr or so before their normal check in time. We stayed on the top floor (thrid) facing the ocean which was great. However, for the price I felt the room could have been more modern/updated. But it was very clean, had a mini refrigerator and rocking chairs for us to sit and stare at the ocean. There is plenty of parking onsite. Pool on the property looked nice, but we didn't utilize it because we spent most of our time across the street on the beach. Plenty of restaurants, eateries and attractions to walk to from this hotel. I would stay here again as long as we could get a better nightly rate.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the third (top) floor - beautiful ocean views!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gibbstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I spent only one night in the Avondale by the Sea during off season (October 3/4, 2012). I chose the hotel because my friends were staying there. I was happy with the choice.
Loved being ocean front and being able to look out my large window or sit in the rocking chair in front of my room to see the ocean any time I wanted.
The bed was very comfortable, a king size. The chair and ottoman made for comfortable relaxing time while watching tv. Free continental breakfast in the lobby was convenient and helped with my budget, however, muffins would've been a great addition to the cereal, bagels and donuts.
The room was very clean and comfortable and I also felt safe at the Avondale.
NICE tv. Refridgerator in room made it easy for me to freeze my leftovers from dinner to hold them cold til I got home the next day.
Hair dryer, ironing board, shampoo(but no cream rinse), soap, body lotion and shower cap all provided in room. Nice shower head, bowed shower curtain rod allowed for room to 'stretch out' during a shower.
I have only two minor complaints...short people will not find it easy to operate the air conditioner...I had to stand on a chair in order to read what the different buttons were for. I could reach the on & off button but from the angle of being on the floor, I could not read what all the buttons were for.
There were not many tv channels to choose from and no booklet listing the channels, nor was a tv guide in the room.
I don't consider either of this issues major or a reason to lower the rating of the hotel to a 4. The Avondale by the Sea was a couple steps above the more "mom & pop" type hotels I am used to staying in.
Although the air conditioning unit is in the small alcove area where the clothes hanging area and bathroom sink is (separate from where the toilet and shower are), it did fine cooling the whole room with the help of a fan in the wall separating the area from the hotel room itself and with the help of the ceiling fan by the front picture window of the room. If you are going to be staying for a length of time during the hottest of summer days, I would suggest bringing along a small table top fan to help circulate air.
I did not require any special assistant from hotel employees, but upon check-in and check-out, the desk clerks were friendly.
There is no cooking at all allowed in rooms...if you are the type to want to do some meal or snack preparation in the room, the Avondale will not fit the bill for you. No coffee maker or toaster or microwave in the room, only a refridgerator.
It is also a no-smoking environment.

Room Tip: The second and third floor rooms all have a view of the ocean, unobstructed sans telephone poles and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Avondale by the Sea? Share your experiences!