“Awesome Place.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avondale by the Sea

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape May
Avondale by the Sea
609 Beach Avenue, Beach & Gurney St, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #15 of 42 hotels in Cape May
York, Pennsylvania, United States
“Awesome Place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I just spent our anniversary weekend at the Avondale by the sea. The room was clean and spacious, the location was within walking distance of restaurants and shopping. The owners were very friendly. We would stay here again.We would also recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms have a perfect view of the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband & I just stayed 3 nights at the Avondale and we really enjoyed it again!! Our room was very clean and comfy. We especially enjoy sitting in the rocking chairs looking out at the ocean and people watching. It is in a great location--within a few block to the Washington Street mall, historic area & restaurants. The owners & staff are very friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manahawkin, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Another wonderful weekend stay in Cape May at Avondale. Our 4th time staying here. Rooms are very clean, esp. the bathrooms. Grounds are well maintained. Owner and staff are very friendly and so helpful. Breakfast is included. There are cereals, fresh fruit, bagels, muffins, juice, coffee and tea.
You can get your breakfast and sit inside or bring it to your room and sit on the rocking chairs outside each room and enjoy a beautiful view of the ocean.
Easy walk into town and places to eat . Parking on site.

Room Tip: We always choose 3rd floor facing the ocean. However, almost all rooms provide a great view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hillsborough, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at the Avondale for three nights in mid July over a weekend. We booked it last minute and the receptionist over the phone was very polite and helpful. Upon check in we were early so we gave them our cell phone number and they called us as soon as it was ready, which was an hr or so before their normal check in time. We stayed on the top floor (thrid) facing the ocean which was great. However, for the price I felt the room could have been more modern/updated. But it was very clean, had a mini refrigerator and rocking chairs for us to sit and stare at the ocean. There is plenty of parking onsite. Pool on the property looked nice, but we didn't utilize it because we spent most of our time across the street on the beach. Plenty of restaurants, eateries and attractions to walk to from this hotel. I would stay here again as long as we could get a better nightly rate.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the third (top) floor - beautiful ocean views!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gibbstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I spent only one night in the Avondale by the Sea during off season (October 3/4, 2012). I chose the hotel because my friends were staying there. I was happy with the choice.
Loved being ocean front and being able to look out my large window or sit in the rocking chair in front of my room to see the ocean any time I wanted.
The bed was very comfortable, a king size. The chair and ottoman made for comfortable relaxing time while watching tv. Free continental breakfast in the lobby was convenient and helped with my budget, however, muffins would've been a great addition to the cereal, bagels and donuts.
The room was very clean and comfortable and I also felt safe at the Avondale.
NICE tv. Refridgerator in room made it easy for me to freeze my leftovers from dinner to hold them cold til I got home the next day.
Hair dryer, ironing board, shampoo(but no cream rinse), soap, body lotion and shower cap all provided in room. Nice shower head, bowed shower curtain rod allowed for room to 'stretch out' during a shower.
I have only two minor complaints...short people will not find it easy to operate the air conditioner...I had to stand on a chair in order to read what the different buttons were for. I could reach the on & off button but from the angle of being on the floor, I could not read what all the buttons were for.
There were not many tv channels to choose from and no booklet listing the channels, nor was a tv guide in the room.
I don't consider either of this issues major or a reason to lower the rating of the hotel to a 4. The Avondale by the Sea was a couple steps above the more "mom & pop" type hotels I am used to staying in.
Although the air conditioning unit is in the small alcove area where the clothes hanging area and bathroom sink is (separate from where the toilet and shower are), it did fine cooling the whole room with the help of a fan in the wall separating the area from the hotel room itself and with the help of the ceiling fan by the front picture window of the room. If you are going to be staying for a length of time during the hottest of summer days, I would suggest bringing along a small table top fan to help circulate air.
I did not require any special assistant from hotel employees, but upon check-in and check-out, the desk clerks were friendly.
There is no cooking at all allowed in rooms...if you are the type to want to do some meal or snack preparation in the room, the Avondale will not fit the bill for you. No coffee maker or toaster or microwave in the room, only a refridgerator.
It is also a no-smoking environment.

Room Tip: The second and third floor rooms all have a view of the ocean, unobstructed sans telephone poles and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the Avondale for 3 nights and loved it!! This will be the hotel i WILL revisit when returning to Cape May. Great location- walking distance from the mall and nice restaurants, across the street from the beach. The rooms were SPOTLESS! Staff was very friendly and put up with my demanding, whinny husband's needs. Ladies at the front desk were very helpful as well. i will most definitely be returning!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saratoga Springs, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed in a room on the third floor with our 5 y.o. We loved the breakfast included with the room. The donuts were delivered every morning, fresh from a local bakery and they were divine. The room was immaculate and we loved all the staff. We had a fabulous ocean view and enjoyed sitting on the balcony. We had two issues one which could have been resolved and wasn't and one which might a deal breaker for next year. When we arrived I asked for skirt hangers, I was told that in 9 years no one had ever asked for a skirt hanger before. I was surprised because I have never stayed in a hotel (including Motel 6 type hotels) that didn't provide skirt hangers. Although we stayed there for a week, no effort was made to get/provide skirt hangers. The potential deal breaker was that the air conditioning unit is located directly over the bed, so if you want the AC on at night you are lying directly under the blast of cold air. There really was no way to fix that issue. Not sure if all the rooms had the same lay out, but it was uncomfortable for us and did stop us from having a really peaceful nights sleep. If that wouldn't bother you, this place was great!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Avondale by the Sea? Share your experiences!