“Second Time as Nice as the First” 4 of 5 stars

La Mer Beachfront Inn
1317 Beach Avenue, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #7 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Dover, Delaware
“Second Time as Nice as the First”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend as Sandy was approaching at La Mer. We had a room with a panoramic few, which was even nicer than the view from our previous room. No complaints about the room or service.
We did have noisy neighbors, who thought nothing of talking loudly on their balcony in the middle of the night, but that is not the Inn's fault.
We ate two meals at the on-site restaurant. Interesting menu with delicious, if expensive, items. Service was a little slow at dinner and at breakfast the next day. Next time we will just eat at the restaurants 'in-town'. They are very good and less expensive.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have views of the pool and the ocean. The rooms with panoramic views are great.

364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Outstanding service, clean, comfortable room. Great parking. Lynne at the front desk very pleasant and helpful. Hotel is located at the northern end of Cape May, away from the hustle and bustle of the central Ocean Avenue district. Quiet and the perfect location for us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CateatLaMer, Manager at La Mer Beachfront Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Lynne is a gem and we are blessed to have her! Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
Reisterstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We really enjoyed our 4-day stay at La Mer. Our room was looking out over the ocean. The room was spacious and plenty of room in the bathroom. Very clean. The front desk was very nice and efficient. Everyone we spoke to couldn't say enough good things about the inn. Will defiantly go back again and again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback! Our staff really appreciates being recognized and they definitely bring our regular guests back.
Port Jefferson Station, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

La Mer was the perfect place for our 3-day stay in beautiful Cape May, NJ. Check-in on a Sunday morning was quick, handled by a very friendly front desk woman. Although we were too early to go to our room, we were advised that we were free to use the hotel pool, which I did. The day was quite warm for late September, and using the pool and relaxing in the lounge chairs made the waiting time pass very quickly. Our room was on the 4th floor, with a balcony and beautiful ocean view. A small kitchenette was part of the room, complete with microwave, mini-fridge and even dishes and flatware. This proved to come in very handy to store and warm up leftovers. The room was spotless, the bed very comfortable, and the size of the room was larger than most hotel rooms. Grounds were very well maintained, the pool was quite large and very clean, and everyone we encountered was friendly.

Cape May is a beautiful city, and visiting in late Sept./early Oct. was the perfect time to go, as the weather was still nice, but the crowds were gone. I liked it that La Mer is not close to the busier part of Cape May, so it was very quiet, but only about a mile and a quarter walk to the shopping area. This was ideal for me, as I love to walk, especially when on vacation.

I would definitely recommend La Mer to anyone looking for a top-notch hotel in Cape May. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: The 4th floor (top floor) gave an excellent view of the ocean. Our room was 420, everything about i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the glowing review of the hotel. Lovely La Mer is quite catchy! And you are correct, there is no place like Cape May! We hope to see you back real soon.
Somerset, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We thought this was a great choice for a weekend get away. Very friendly check in and the room was really nice. The beach ammenities were great. Very nice attendants who set us up with lounges, towels, etc just like any great resort. The only downside was the restaurant on site which isn't owned by them. The breakfast was really lousy. Wouldn't consider going back there for any other meal but not a problem since Cape May has plenty of nice restaurants. A little far to walk to the shopping area but we had no problem moving the car and parking. Would stay at La Mer again without hesitation.

Room Tip: We had a side view which was fine. Saved a few $$$ that way.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
marakis, Manager at La Mer Beachfront Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you so much for the glowing 5-star review! We truly appreciate the fact you found our Inn as a great choice during your stay in Cape May. We are over-the-moon you were pleased with your room, our beach amenities and staff. We are so happy you would return without hesitation. Thanks again!
voorhees,nj
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I think this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in Cape May,NJ. I chose to stay in this hotel the night before my wedding with my wedding party. I payed for the room a month ahead of time and was changing my room the next night for my honeymoon. The front desk called me several times at eleven AM,while I was getting dressed for my wedding, and explained,"I must get out of the room so the maid can clean the room!!!". I asked if they had my room for that night so I could move into my new room and theytold me,"No!". I asked the front desk where do you expect me to get dressed?? I asked for a late checkout which is usually 1PM in most high end hotels. Obviously,La Mer is not a high end hotel and demanded i leave my room by noon and did not give me my other room even though I payed. La Mer clearly does not know how to treat their customers with courtesy and empathy. I ended up walking down the hallway in my night shirt and luggage to my new in laws room a hour before my wedding to get dressed. They would not give me a room even though I payed. They ruined my whole wedding day. I sobbed in tears about how badly I was treated!!! Please do not stay in this hotel they don't care about paying customers they are just money hungry.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere in Cape May,NJ but not at the La Mer.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate the opportunity to answer our guests on both positive and negative views of our hotel.

In our research of your account, we were unaware that you had two reservations. Since you made the reservations under two separate names in two different rooms and did not make us aware that you were a bride, we had no opportunity to provide you special services. Your flowers were delivered after checkout and you insisted on staying in the room until 2 even though we had other guests checking into that room at 3. We even assisted your husband with finding a limo service since his earlier plans had fallen through.

In fact, we tried to go above and beyond with the little information we had to work with after check out time had already occurred and even offered you a nights stay free for the hassle. You insisted on demanding more when we did nothing wrong on our side except for a lack of knowing we had a bride in our hotel with 2 different reservations in 2 different names on 2 different dates.

We wish you all of the best in your life together but we must dispute your review as an inaccurate occurrence of events.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is directly across from the beach. Free beach passes and luxury towels with chairs and umbrella included. Friendly staff. Room decor is old fashioned but very clean. Reminder of family vacations long ago. Only draw back is balcony offers no privacy from neighboring rooms and they are very small.

Room Tip: I like ocean view but I would definitely make sure your room has soon sort of view because some face...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for the lovely review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us while in Victorian Cape May. We are thrilled you found our rooms very clean and took advantage of our beach amenities. We hope you choose to stay with us again and thank you for the kind review!

Been to La Mer Beachfront Inn? Share your experiences!