“Ocean view...Yes but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Ocean view...Yes but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The room was nice enough, old with it's age showing. It had a kitchenette, but we didn't need one for one night. There really wasn't a lot of extra room with a king sized bed in the room. TV OLD style box, pillows very hard, bathroom adequate. This hotel was right across the street from the beach but most of the building was perpendicular to the beach. We couldn't see the ocean from our room without opening the balcony door (because of the angle.) Pricey..but most of Cape May is...

Room Tip: In Season Cape May is pricey. If your willing to walk to the beach there are much better rates. Howe...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Greenwood, Pa.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

,,, the Palace is right across the street from the Beach, we had ocean views on Philadelphia Ave, cars were parked at ground level under the hotel and out of the sun. Just a short mile walk to Washington Square Mall and great dining at the "Jackson Mountain Restaurant". We had a great time ... the only problem was with the air conditioner noise (unbearable) but if you keep it running throughout the day and shut it down once you returned seemed to be the trick.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at the Palace Hotel on the pet friendly floor for 3 nights. The room was immaculate, it's probably the cleanest pet friendly room we ever stayed at. Nicole was another bright spot. But the older woman who was there during the day was not only unfriendly, she was pretty nasty. The continental breakfast was ok, standard hotel muffins and coffee. If it had been a great deal, I probably would be writing a better review. But for $720 for 3 nights, I expected better. Next year, we'll definitely be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We booked pretty much last minute as an add on to a fishing trip. We stayed one night. The location is great - right across from the beach. It's a pet friendly hotel as you can read on the other reviews but that didn't apply to us on this trip. The staff is friendly and accomodating. We asked for a late checkout and they said for $29 extra you can stay untill 11PM which was great. I assume that was because they had vacancies but we got an extra day on the beach and had a place to shower and clean up before leaving for home. One downside is that the place is dated and could use a renovation. Don't expect the RItz. The a/c was noisy and the bath tub area was vinyl, not tile as an example. The price was $219 for the night which wasn't too bad as we booked last minute and were only staying one night. I wouldn't want to stay for a week but for one night it was fine. I'd say this hotel was all about location and being pet friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
West Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

stayed here last year,went back this year(7/1-7/4)and will come back again next year!!! clean hotel with great staff!!nothing to complain about! quiet and across from beach entrance.thanks to fran,gerri and the rest of the crew for a great time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I originally chose the Palace Hotel because they are dog-friendly, however, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay at a clean, affordable place that is located so close to the beach. For my first time there I made reservations for only one night because I wasn't sure what it would be like. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was not only very clean, but the staff was professional and friendly. They also served breakfast every morning which had a good selection of food to choose from and the coffee was excellent. I enjoyed my stay so much that I made reservations for the following weekend for three nights.
During my 2nd weekend there, I had an emergency with my dog where she hurt her foot and since I was alone, I was beside myself. It was late Saturday afternoon and the local vet was closed. I called the front desk asking if they could send someone up to help me. Within minutes, Sara from the front desk was at my door with a first aid kit. Just having someone there to help me was a great comfort, and then she bandaged up my dog's foot so well that it looked like a professional vet did it. I found out that the closest vet (that was open) was an hour away and the charge was $125+ for their emergency fee. Thanks to Sara, my dog's foot was able to heal and I did not have to pay for the emergency vet.
The only downside I experienced was that the A/C unit in my room didn't have an option for continuous fan, and since I am a light sleeper I could hear it turning off and on throughout the night. Other than that, the room was very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We really liked the Palace Hotel, for 3 big reasons: 1. Oceanfront and affordable. 2. Dog-friendly rooms on the 4th floor. 3. No 2-night minimum stay requirement, like literally *every* other hotel in town. In my experience, dog-friendly hotels aren't always the cleanest... But we were pleasantly surprised, as the whole place looked and smelled fresh and clean! I can see how it would be annoying to stay on the 4th floor if you don't have a dog... It's not stinky, but you do hear a little barking from other rooms/hallway. That's really the extent of it. We really appreciated the kitchenette in the room, and the balcony was nice as well. Parking was shaded and plentiful. The room was a little outdated, but everything was in good condition, certainly usable! We have a crawling toddler, and I didn't feel uncomfortable with her exploring the room. I'd say the only drawback is its proximity to the shops and restaurants in town – we always had to hop in the car and find metered parking as the walk was a little long. Note that while the hotel is dog-friendly, Cape May isn't in the summer season... We got scolded walking our dog various places around town (the Plaza and Promenade, notably). None of the beaches are open to dogs over summer either. You have to stick to regular sidewalks, some outdoor cafes (try Zoe's), and Rusty Nail's Sat night music on the lawn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!