“Our wonderful unique experience at the SeaVilla” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The SeaVilla

The SeaVilla
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape May
The SeaVilla
You added The SeaVilla to your Saves list
5 Perry Street, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #38 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Midland Park NJ
“Our wonderful unique experience at the SeaVilla”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

We found the only vacancy at the Sea Villa on an impetuous trip to Cape May. We were warmly greeted and cared for by the wonderful proprietress Debbie Longstreet.

I found the Inn to be old and a bit careworn, but filled with fascinating treasures relevant to the owners interests. I spent time perusing the objects and learned a good deal from them.

We stayed on the second floor and shared a bathroom with no problem. There was an accompanying powder room/bathroom to do whatever else might be needed, as well.

The room was a bit stuffy, but was equipped with a working air conditioner.

Overall, the environment is a bit on the eclectic side. Possibly not to everyone's liking. It does seem to be in need of updating and needed TLC repairs, but I am sure it is an overwhelming task. I found it to be a wonderful experience and true to what an older 1800 Inn might have truly been like.

The breakfast, which is included, was excellent and bountiful. The delicious quiches, muffins were all home made by the wonderful owner. She spent a good deal of time with my friend and I afterwards expounding on the amazing history of the Inn.

We also met Debbie's son Ian and husband, who were both very cordial and outgoing. Ian kindly carried our bags up to our rooms.

We have rebooked a visit back In October. I am sure it will not be our last.

• Liked — the environment, owners, location, cost and lack of artificial comforts. I felt as if i were in an 1870's inn and appreciated the naturalness of it!
  • Disliked — could have been a bit cleaner and more ventilation in our room.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

We went to Cape May over the weekend. We were only going to stay for the night and decided to stay another night. The was the only place with vacancy and was only $110 a night. When we first walked in it smelled. I knocked on the office door and she yelled for us to get out because of the dog. Personally I think there should be a sign saying that there is a dog there. What happens if someone is allergic to dogs and cats for that matter. They have 2 parent cats and 3 kittens. They were telling the guests that they can take home a kitten. They don't take credit card which is weird and our room was on the 3rd floor. We did however have a view if the ocean (only good thing) but no A/C. After bringing in our bags I was on the bed and 2 ants were on me. Then we noticed that there were dead ants in the sink that the cleaning people sprayed but didn't wipe up. After complaining to the owner's husband he sprayed our room with raid and told me to get out so it can fumigate. We went to our room about 2 hours later and again I was on the bed reading and about 7 ants were on me. I had enough, I complained again and he sprayed again but I wanted a new room. I got one, but we should have just left (again only vacancy) when we woke up in the morning we were covered in little red dots, believed to be ant bites.

Don't spend your money here. It smells really bad and has ants and god only knows what else. You share the bathroom with 9 rooms you being 10.
The bathroom shower was so dirty the dirt was caked in. The bathmat was the same. I wouldn't even shower with shoes on in this place.
Spend the extra $100 and stay ant and dirt free.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — dirt, ants and the smell
  • Tips/Secrets — spend extra $100 and go somewhere clean
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the SeaVilla over the 4th of July weekend, since it had the only vacancy left at the last minute. The first impression when I walked in was that the place smelled. I can't put my finger on what the smell was, but it was overwhelming (maybe like visiting Grandma's house, when she's put on too much perfume?). The building is old and cluttered with "Victorian" decorations. The problem is that everything is coated with dust. You could see the dust on the swag of fabric hanging above our bed. The bathrooms on our floor were full of rust and dirt. Even before the other guests on our floor used the bathrooms all day, they never looked clean! The towels were dingy, as were the sheets. I couldn't wait to get of there the next day!

• Stayed July 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2004

A cozy victorian house, cool owners, well keeped and wonderfull location, ...exept for some industrialsounds from nearby.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2003

We visited the Seavilla in early July. It was a very hot weekend. We checked in and found our room to be on the third floor, with no air conditioning. It was unbearable.

We were told that there were five baths, however, two of them were outside. There really was one to each floor. Each floor had at least 9 rooms, which meant that you shared the one shower with all of the other guests. On a busy weekend, we would wait at least 1.5 hours to get in the shower. After so many people using them, they were not very clean.
They also became very dirty in the late evening.

The breakfast was good. The rooms were ok. It was convenient to the beach. It was very inexpensive to stay there.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2003

We have been staying at the Sevilla for the past 10 years and the current owners are very nice. The breakfasts are wonderful and it is only steps away from the beach! The only problem is that there is no on-site parking.

Been to The SeaVilla? Share your experiences!