“What is all the rave about????” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Alcott
107 Grant Street, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
New Jersey
“What is all the rave about????”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2005

My husband, my parents and I stayed at the Hotel Alcott a couple of years ago and unless they completly renovated the rooms, I don't know what the high praise is all about. The front porch was nice and the lobby had a Victorian feel. But that Victorian feel disappeared as soon as we entered our rooms. The rooms had more of a "standard motel" feel. And if you are going to feel like you are in "standard motel", you should pay motel prices.

Try another hotel....

• Stayed December 2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

We have 3 young children who are well travelled but all under the age of 7. Anyone with young kids (especially boys) knows that there is some excess energy there! We chose the Alcott primarily due to the fact that our trip from Toronto was last minute and it was the best available in proximity to the beach. The cleaning staff worked hard and were very pleasant but our bathroom shower curtain was definitely in need of a wash. The room was not large but this IS a 100 plus year old facility, it comes with the territory. The continental breakfast featured yummy and very fresh pastries and a 4 cereals as well as coffee and tea. The hot water container for tea was hot, never boiling which is an issue for tea or mixing baby's cereal. Our primary service complaint involved the young man and the desk most afternoons/evenings. Although pleasant our requests for a plug for the bathtub fell on deaf ears. We wanted to bath our children but after 3 requests we were ignored and were left with the shower. For the money ($220 per night) we would not return to this facility.

Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2005

I would love to let the public know that the Hotel Alcott is a terrific place to stay while in Cape May. Who cares if there is no offstreet parking. EVERYONE IN CAPE MAY WALKS !! Park your car and forget about it. Hardly any place has onsite parking available anyway. It is a prime location to all shops , restaurants and the beach is a block.... a BLOCK away. A 3 block walk to the Washington Street Mall ! The promenade (boardwalk) is one block away. TV???? yeah they have it. But you are in Victorian Cape May....who needs it anyway ? And so what if it's not your plasma screen like at home. Wake up in the morning and pop down for breakfast. Afternoon tea social on a lovely veranda during the day. Gourmet dinner accomodations till 10pm, and just charge it to your room. Primo seating for guests of the Hotel as well. You wanna go to Congress Hall ... go ahead and spend over $300.00 a night. For what ?...a pool and onsite parking 2 blocks over ? Gimmee a break . The Atlantic Ocean is less than 300 feet away for Petes sake. I have been vacationing in Cape May since childhood and now I bring my own family here. The decor of the Alcott is lovely and they have very clean rooms! STAY HERE AND ENJOY !!!!!!

• Stayed July 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2004

I've never written a review of a hotel although I do utilize the reviews on TripAdvisor.com to help me decide where to stay. I felt compelled to write about the Alcott because of all the silly gripes I've read about it. My family decided to go to Cape May for Labor Day weekend and stayed at the Alcott per the recommendation of my nephew and his wife. The place is beautiful and decorated with an eye for detail. The rooms are a decent size (especially for Cape May) and as far as the size of the television, as one of the complainers on this posting thread whined about, show me a hotel in Cape May that provides a huge home theatre. I found the hotel staff to be lovely. Although we did not eat in the hotel, we did partake of the continental breakfast and found it to be fair. Most of the hotels we've stayed at in Cape May don't provide a complimentary breakfast so this was a pleasant change. As far as parking is concerned, we parked on the side of the hotel one night and found metered parking the other days. As the hotel is so close to the beach we found we didn't really need the car at all during the day AND the hotel provided us with beach tags and beach towels. I'm not surprised the hotel didn't make mention of the parking situation as I'm not familiar with hotels that advertise what they DO NOT have. If that were the case then the Lafayette where we stayed the previous year should have advised us that they do NOT have a hot tub. Pure silliness. Overall, I found the whole stay to be wonderful and relaxing. All the complaining on this site seems to be made by people who seem difficult to please anyway. The Alcott is definitely a wonderful hotel.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2004

My Wife and I, book a five day vacation at THE ALCOTT HOTEL and when we arrived, there was no parking at the hotel and never stated to us that there was no parking. Upset, talked to the Manger and General Manger, they could'nt care less and would not refund our money. We stayed under protest and found a parking space five blocks away. We could not use the vehicle for five days,because we would loose are parking spot that we luckly found or would have had to metered park at approximately $10.00 a day. The morning Coffee was cold and the room TV was to small.HIGHLY DISAPOINTED AS GUESTS OF THE ALCOTT HOTEL.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2004

Could be a real nice off the beaten path alernative to busy inns closer to the center of Cape May but this hotel comes up short. We did not get the type of room we were assured of when we made our reservation. Instead we were shuffled off to a first floor room across from the housekeeping facilities, the main air conditioning intake, and with windows smack on the street. Ants crawling around by the windows and no wonder after I found a box of ?? days old cookies on top of the dresser. We were assured at checkin that this room, less than 100 feet from the lobby would be quiet. Wrong again. Terrible mattress led to little sleep and sore back.

For a hotel that caters to families with small children, the restaurant is outright hostile to small children. Although reservation was taken with a high chair, we were later told "we don't require them (kids) to eat". Well, we sure do. Service was abrupt and not friendly at all, not up to Cape May standards. Where else do you get a full lobster without shell cracker and bib? Breakfast was a weak attempt at continental with no service at all.

Too bad this place isn't better, potential is there for a great historic hotel but obviously corners are cut everywhere.................

Pelham Manor, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2004

I have been looking forward to writing this review and here is my analysis of the Hotel after a recent three night stay.

I decided to stay at the Alcott bc. I did not want to stay in a B&B and am not much for a "motor inn". The hotel is very nice astatically and I found the people to be plesent for the most part. I had the oppurtunity to stay in two rooms. They were not very big or lavishly furnished but comfortable, provided reasonable space and were clean. The location is also perfect close to ocean, shops and not in the cheesy part of town like the Macomber is.

However, I did find the rooms to be noisy and not pleasant if you wanted to have a quite sleep until say 8:30 or 9:30 am. The noise comes from all directions the rooms above, street, hall ect. It was especially annoying listing to the vacuum going from the maids in the room above at 8:30. it sounded like it was in the room with me. The bathroom in the room next to us was extremely loud and enough to wake you from a peaceful sleep. I definatly recommend a room in the back and on the third floor. Sure it means more steps, however, you won't have anyone above you and it may help to minimize the street noise which is loud especially when the garbage trucks and street cleaners come around in the morning at like 7.

I found the staff to be pleasant yet NOT very accommodating. I requested an iron 3 times and was told they will put it in my room. Finally, on the fourth go round I said I insisted on waiting for it at the front desk and it came in about five minutes. I would understand if the hotel was very busy or there was a wedding but for the most part is was quite.

my last gripe was regarding a late checkout which I requested to prepare for a wedding I had to attend on my way home. Checkout was at 11, however, for $50 I was able to checkout at 1 (25 dollars an hour). The prie did not bother me except for the fact that i wanted to checkout at 2. I explained my situation and said I am willing to move rooms if necessary. They insisted I be out promptly at 1. Again i would understand if they were busy but as i was leaving at 1 that VACANCY sign was still up.

All in all I would not stay again. Instead I would stay at the Sandpiper or the Congress. Closer to the beach, clean, parking and they have a pool which is underrated.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Hotel Alcott? Share your experiences!