“Excellent wedding venue” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent wedding venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Wow! What a wonderful place to have a wedding. My husband and I just had our wedding there on October 19, 2012. The cocktail hour was amazing! My guests raved about how good it was along with the dinner. The filet was cooked to perfection! We had grey service all night for our wedding! The hotel is clean and has a "right at home" type feel. If your looking for a wedding venue, choose the Alcott! You won't be dissatisfied!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I chose this hotel because it was one of the more affordable hotels in Cape May and it is extremely close to the beach (1 block). I’m very happy I did!!!! I stayed over the weekend with my fiancé and we were both very pleased with our stay. The rooms are super clean and the bathroom is brand new and spacious. The room was a little on the small side but we did not mind at all. Our room had a pillow top king size mattress and it was unbelievably comfortable.

A lot of other hotels in Cape May are old, run down and dated and are extremely expensive to stay in, which I don’t get! I had a horrible experience in one of those places last year. Hotel Alcott is the second oldest hotel in Cape May but you would never guess it. They’ve done a great job at maintaining it and keeping it new, clean and inviting.

They also have a restaurant downstairs called La Verandah. We didn’t get a chance to eat here but the food looks great. We will definitely check it out next time.

One tiny downfall is parking. The hotel has a parking lot 6 blocks away. You can find street parking but only when people at the beach start to leave. Since we rented bikes we did not have much need for the car anyway so this was only an inconvenience for us upon arriving.

The staff was great too!! Upon our arrival our room was not ready yet so they let us leave our bags there while we went to the beach and they had the bags brought into the room for us. While on the beach we received a phone call from front desk letting us know our room was ready ( an hour early) and our bags were already in there. So nice of them!! During our stay we came in contact with 3 different people at front desk and they were all extremely polite, professional and VERY accommodating. When we checked out, the lady at front desk even gave me a few bridal magazines since I’m getting married next year.

All around a GREAT experience!! I am definitely staying here again!!

Manalapan, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

First let me say this..I am without a doubt a hotel snob. I feel I keep a nice clean home..so when I go away I want to stay at a hotel that reflects the way I live at home. So..having said that..Hotel Alcott is a home away from home for me. When you arrive you will more then likely be greeted by Katie or Dan..both wonderful and helpful. They will guide you as to where to park, since there is no parking lot right in front for their hotel..which is fine. We dropped off our luggage and parked in their lot which is a few blocks away and they give you a parking pass so you don't have to pay the meters..yes there are meters on all the streets...we loved the walk. We got to see all the Victorian homes and much more. Second the hotel is very clean, if you are looking for a South Miami Vibe..this is not for you. This is a very quaint, peaceful hotel with a big veranda with little table and chairs, rocking chairs and in the morning you can sit outside which we did and have their breakfast which is included in the price. The rooms are small, but you are literally across the street from the beach & trust me you are never in it. The bed is very comfy..the bathroom was nicely updated & always cleaned on time. There is no pool so there where no kids which worked out perfect for me and my husband, due to the fact my son was not with us..for the first time ever. I truly appreciated the peacefulness this hotel had to offer. And after going into other bigger hotels..I saw all the ca motion..kids screaming..running..they had music..tons of little shops in the lobby I was so grateful to go back to my hotel and sit on the rocker with our ice cream..lol i felt like I was in a old Victorian beautiful home & we loved it. ..Cape May is beautiful & peaceful..Hotel Alcott has that romantic..sweet charm it has age to it...we loved it and it just soothes you when you are there. If you looking for craziness, this is not your hotel..if you want to relax, watch the sunset, and just enjoy the moment this is your place. There are tons of families there, go eat at the Rusty Nail for lunch & dinner fantastic. Also if you want a fantastic dinner eat at the Verandah located right in the hotel..it was delish..we will be back..I hope to get their during Christmas..Katie said it's something to see..So big "thank you" to Katie & her great staff for a wonderful stay.

Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed three nights at the Alcott Hotel. The rooms were clean, but small. No closet space and no table or desk, which made it a little dificult. Breakfast buffet was okay, small but sufficient. They could add some cut up fruits and toast. They did offer bagels, dry cereal, oatmeal, bananas and small muffins, coffee & Tea. Also, the afternoon snacks were cookies and lemonaid, thought they should offer a bit more maybe some cheese and crackers and should have out all day, not just a couple hours in the afternoon. That being said, I would stay there again. Its' centrally located and easy to walk to all parts of Cape May. Did not mind parking far away, the walk was not so bad.

Kim & Keith
Hamilton Twp., NJ

Room Tip: Make sure you can walk stairs, no elevators here
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My daughter and I have stayed at the Alcott 2011 and again in 2012. We each have our own rooms and have found them to be very clean and most comfortable. The staff very helpful (took our bags to our rooms) and courteous.
The breakfast more than adequate. We plan to make our yearly stay a tradition in the coming years.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

If you like paper thin walls, Fruit Loops, no water pressure, sticky doors, cramped rooms and walking a mile to park your car, stay at the Hotel Alcott. For over $200 a night, this place seems to operate on a bare minimum amenity strategy. Many of the reviews on here mention the crappy breakfast, why do they continue serving Folgers and Corn Flakes? This was easily the smallest hotel room I've ever slept in. I've had better stays at the Marriott which has sound proof rooms, full length mirrors, a pool and a waffle maker. I'm a traveler that likes comfort as well as charm so when I come across a place like the Alcott that skimps on the creature comforts for the travelor, it's disappointing.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night in July on a trip through South Jersey. The hotel was very clean, the staff was polite and the location was excellent (one block from the beach). We stayed in a room on the second floor with a veranda. There is no elevator, so be sure to get a room on the second floor at most. The room was very small, but the veranda provided so much extra charm and space that we didn't mind it. The bathroom was much bigger than expected. It was reasonably priced in comparison to the other hotels in the area at high season.

My biggested complaint was the lack of parking. We were referred to a parking lot (where they had pre-paid passes) five blocks away. After driving all day I was not happy to drive around looking for spaces. Once I arrived at the lot, it was full. I was told there was nothing they could do and I would have to drive around looking for street parking. This was very inconvenient and such a turn-off. Also, there are no amenities and the continental breakfast is weak at best.

Overall the charm and location of the hotel won out and we enjoyed our stay. If not for the negatives above, I would have given this hotel a 5 out of 5. I would recommend it for others to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Alcott? Share your experiences!