“Elegance on the beach!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
New Britain, Connecticut
“Elegance on the beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Marquis de Lafayette is a great place to stay in Cape May. Our penthouse suite was beautifully furnished and well-equipped and had a stellar view of the beach and ocean. The breakfast buffet had lots of choices, all well-prepared. The staff was friendly and accommodating and the pool was refreshing. Location, location, location: walking distance to everything.

Room Tip: If you can swing the cost, the suites on the sixth floor are ideal.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Pulled the car to the front to check in & it was not busy. Check in was easy & they gave me my room key & told me about the parking. I was checking in on a Saturday & the lot behind the hotel was full, but they have another lot next to the B&B (I forget the name).
I reserved one of the Cape May rooms & it was everything I expected (happy). You walk in the room to two double beds, the only problem with that is that you hear when everyone slams their doors. Our room had a kitchenette & living room with a pull out sofa bed & a balcony with a beautiful view of the beach. We were room 207 & I did not like being right over the bar because of the loud music that they played during the day.
The pool was nice & relaxing & I like that the only place to smoke was the outdoor bar area (I don’t smoke). Back to the room: It fits two adults & two children comfortably. Kitchenette was a nice touch: Small refrigerator, sink, plenty of utensils, burners & pots & pans. Laundry room was located on the second floor (don’t know if they had more on other floors).
Breakfast was included with our stay & we really enjoyed it (buffet style). The hotel is in walking distance to Washington Mall & the beach.
We did not have any problems with the staff. All were nice to us, but we did not have any problems during our stay.
Staff was nice & I would stay here if I go back to Cape May.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just to home from our 4 night stay at the marquis de Lafayette, and not to sure yet if we we will be returning. I will say the rooms were very spacious and clean. We had a suite which was perfect for me and my husband with a king size comfy bed, and a pull out couch for our daughter in the other room. We enjoyed haing our coffee on our private balcony looking over the ocean. Now he bad: we arrived in town a few hours early, which we told on the phone when making our reservation, and Gene at the front desk, had a terrile attitude as if we were bothering her at her home, and she was too busy on her laptop to be bothered by just some guests. anyway after getting her to stand up finally she told us she would call when our room was ready, so we went about town for a bit. She never called and when we came back the room was ready and she was gone for the day. When we finally got checked in, the two men at the counter, both named Steve, were actually very welcoming, helpful and funny. They were the exception. That night we went to wildwood to take our daughter to the wildwood boardwalk which we recommend to anyone with kids. When we returned around midnight there were a few other families in the lobby. My husband was joking with a man we met earlier and this large Jamaican man at the front desk had the nerve to ask us to be quiet, we could barely understand him. Then my daughter had to use the restroom in the lobby and this man at he front desk told us no, and that we would have to wait to get to our rooms. I was appalled, as another guests said they had used the restroom just a half hour before. The next morning had the pleasure of dealing with gene again as we had a couple minor requests , and complaints for the room, none of which got done as usual weve heard, until her shift was over and someone else at the front desk helped us and mentioned there was no record of our requests 6 hours earlier.not to be petty but the attitude of Gene and the Jamaican man made our stay very uneasy to the point where we felt uncomfortable coming off the elevator and walking through the lobby. With hat being said the room was very nice as well as the in house restaurant with free breakfast each morning. So we did enjoy ur stay overall, as long as we didn't need anything from the staff. I would like to think gene at he desk was havng a bad day, but my sister stays there regularly and mentioned her by name as well as I've read other reviews about her. I guess she is a manager as I can't understand her still having a job. I just feel bad for whoever works under her.

Room Tip: Try to request the side of the hotel away from the pool, my sister stayed on the other side and said...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I called 2 days ago to book a room for 2 nights. I was answered by a very rude guy, who kept telling me repeatedly he could not understand me and that he is on hold at the other end, took my number and did not call me back.
I stayed at this hotel last year, the front desk staff was not friendly, as well. I thought that I could just try it again. Location is good- at the center, room is very old, hotel is already dated. Price is not bad for summer. But I will not be back and I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
carol stream, il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Even though I've been to the Jersey Shore several times, this was my first time in Cape May for a family wedding. We stayed at the Marquis De Lafayette, a beautiful old hotel centrally located to just about everything in the town center. The rooms are spacious and clean with beach views
from every balcony. A real plus is breakfasts are included - everything from omelets how you like to fresh waffles and fruit and any breakfast item imaginable. From the Marquis we could walk across the street to the gorgeous beach, the rehearsal dinner at a great seaside restaurant, or 3 blocks to Convention Hall, a beautiful old hotel for the wedding. The quaint shopping district on Washington Street was also an easy stroll. Cape May is a lovely seaside town with beautiful beaches, great restaurants and lots to do and see. It's a bit pricey, but we ran into several people who make it their yearly destination. I can see why.

Room Tip: Every room has a balcony and view of the ocean.
Scotch Plains,N.J.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We just stayed this past weekend. Enjoyed the place so much. Great spot across from the beach,wonderful balcony to enjoy. The rooms was very clean and comfortable. Just what we hoped it to be. So easy to walk everywhere. Thank you for the wonderful stay we will be back again next year. The pool was great too. Everything we needed.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor it was great. Nice and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
wilmington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just finished a lovely week in our favorite hotel in our favorite town. Sixth floor views are the best in town, and the location can't be beat. Even though it poured about half the time, we were happy in our immaculate suite with 42" flat screen, dvd, good wifi, and fabulous view while reading and knitting. Just steps to Martini Beach, Merion Inn, Aleathea's and Cabanas. Just steps to car on site to anywhere else! Great breakfast buffet on site (free for most), and dinners available, too.

On the beautiful days we enjoyed our coffee on the balcony watching the dolphins and osprey fishing. Then we used the heated pool before our destination of the day. Many restaurants, shopping, events very close by. Watching the moon rise over the lighthouse with a glass of wine (refrig and glasses in kitchenette) from our private balcony would cap a perfect day.

Comfy king bed, great bathroom with tub/shower, fluffy towels, quiet air handling, ceiling fans and tvs in both rooms -- no wonder after staying in more than 15 different places in Cape May, the sixth floor at the Marquis is the place we come back to.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marquis De Lafayette Hotel? Share your experiences!