“Quaint hotel with great view” 4 of 5 stars

Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Beach Ave, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #32 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Cinnaminson, New Jersey, United States
“Quaint hotel with great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Open year round. This is a good get-away location in the off-season. Breakfast included. Plenty to do in area even in teh off-season. All rooms have ocean view and pets are allowed. A few rooms have interior corridors but most are exterior. Short walk for excellant but reasonable casual dining. Keep in mind that this is an older hotel but the rooms still have many amenities including a porch.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
btm1323
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have traveled to Cape May for many years and have stayed at many properties (hotels and B&B's) but this was our first time at the Marquis. We stayed here over the Christmas parade weekend with friends. Since we both had dogs (two small pups), we opted for the Poolside Suite. It was a nice size and conveniently located on the first floor. The room itself was just so so. It could use a good updating although it was clean and efficient and we were hardly ever in it. The complimentary breakfast was a nice touch. My only complaint was when I called to make the reservation the front desk never told us that it would be an additional $25 for another pet as well as $35 for another person (there were three total). When making the reservation we gave the total number of pets and people. We were also never told that there was a $100 (cash) refundable deposit we had to put down. The costs were understandable but we were never told this in advance and ended up having to shell out more money when we got there. I thought that was in poor taste. Had we known in advance, we would have been prepared (particularly with the $100 cash deposit). I rarely carry cash. Overall, this would not be my first place to stay when going to Cape May but since it's really the only pet friendly hotel we would stay there again if we couldn't get a pet sitter.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had a wedding to attend in Cape May this past weekend. The wedding was at another hotel and we waited too long to get accommodations on-site. This hotel was offered as an alternative. The price was less than the wedding hotel and included breakfast. We asked to check in before the 4pm checkin so we could get changed before the wedding. We arrived about 1pm in the afternoon and were check in immediately. Our 2nd floor suite was lovely, clean and comfortable. We had a great night's sleep, watched the sunrise and a terrific breakfast before checking out the next morning. We were so pleased we plan on going down again in the early spring and just spending a nice weekend there. All in all a very nice surprise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a Suite on the 2nd floor although I had requested one on a higher floor but since it was off season they did not book the entire hotel although there were ppl staying on the 6th floor (the highest). Anyway, our suite was lovely. It had 2 very comfortable double beds in one room with very comfortable pillows - which is something I find hard to find in hotels. The sitting area had a pull out bed which we did not pull out but instead slept on it as a couch. All rooms face the ocean and have 2 rocking chairs. There was a large flat screen TV in the sitting area and a regular one in the bedroom area. The suite has a small kitchen complete with microwave, refrigerator, range and full set of dishes, utensils and pots and pans along with detergent to wash dishes. Bathroom was average but could have used a fan. Bedroom is a bit on the dark side and we could not figure out how to turn off the ceiling fan. It was a very windy night and the "wooing" noise coming through the door and windows facing the ocean made it difficult for a good nights sleep. However, we did not hear it in the bedroom. The complimentary breakfast was the best I have ever experienced. I do not have the room to list all that was served but it was everything you would find on a menu in a regular restaurant. It was all very fresh and very very delicious!

Room Tip: Rooms tucked in the corner do not have a good sunrise view b/c they are blocked by part of the hotel...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We had a very special reason to visit Cape May NJ in January. There are very few hotels available that time of year. The Marquis de Lafayette was open and readily available for my party. The staff was very accommodating and the rooms were clean and well appointed.

• Stayed January 2013
Springfield, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here for a mini-vacation over the 2012 Holiday Season. Great location, great views, great buffet breakfast which was included in the cost of the room. The room itself was a bit dated but clean and comfortable. The elevators were a bit questionable??? As a smoker, I thought their non-smoking rules were a bit over the top...no smoking on your private balcony or anywhere outside the building, except for the parking lot. I don't mind not smoking inside my room or the public areas of the hotel...but I found it interesting that they are a "pet friendly" hotel. I'm sorry but really pets can be very dirty and annoying...a lot more than smokers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I used to stay off season at this hotel until about 10 years ago when the front desk person was rude and I was not treated like a paying guest.
On a Wednesday in December before Christmas week, I took a drive down to Cape May and walked around the town. I do this every year and then drive up to stay at the Pier 4 Motel in Somers Point which has become one of my favorite shore motels. Due to the damage from Hurricane Sandy, Pier 4 was closed. I was passing by the Marquis DeLayfayette and saw only one car in the parking lot. I went into the lobby and no one was there. I said hello a few times, no answer. I walked around and saw a women looking at the computer. She looked at me like I annoyed her. No, hello, how are you or any friendly greeting. I asked her if there were any rooms available for one day. The eyes rolled enough to say "can't you see we have". The rate was way overprice for one night.
I left and drove up to Atlantic City where I got a great room at Resorts for $39.00. The room at A/C plus the cost of dinner and breakfast and drinks was still cheaper than staying in Cape May for one night.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Marquis De Lafayette Hotel? Share your experiences!