“Not what they advertise,” 1 of 5 stars

Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Beach Ave, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #32 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Coal Township, PA
“Not what they advertise,”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Start at the beginning, at check in,we were told that we didn't really reserve an accessible room, but that my wife would be able to get out of her wheelchair and hop to the toilet or tub! She only has one leg and has been in this condition for over twenty years,(we don't "forget" to ask for ADA accessible rooms)! I was told that they only have one (1) ADA room and it was booked, but they took our reservation anyway. One girl did offer to change our room to a "pet friendly" room. I don't know, maybe those rooms have shower seats, roll-in showers,safety grab bars, 17 inch high toilets and extra wide doors for the really big dogs! The room was just clean, not sparkling as the bathroom floor still had a little dirt and pubic hair on it. I guess its a good thing my wife's wheel-chair couldn't get in the door because she would have complained about that. However, she couldn't safely pee, poop or shower so I guess its a good thing we only stayed one night. Lobby, hallways, elevators and pool area are not wheel-chair convenient at all, in fact it seems they have put runner carpets down to dress things up a bit but this only makes it very difficult to roll straight in the chair. (if your in a chair , you know what I mean.)
Its not all bad though, the maintenance man tried his best to be helpful, though he didn't have much to work with. He brought us a shower seat to try to make it possible for her to shower, however, it was for a right handed shower, and we had a left handed tub with no hand rails. So its probably a good thing she couldn't get in the bathroom anyway.
As you can tell at this point, I was not at all pleased with this stay. We love Cape May and will never stop coming back, but it will not be to the Marquis De Lafayette Hotel.

If you or any of your loved ones is/are handicapped then I wouldn't waste my time or money on this place. The location is not worth the aggravation.

Room Tip: If you can, book a room at some other hotel like the Le Mer.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Although the Marquis de Lafayette Hotel had been a grandfathered property, the management has made great strides in making as many changes (in accordance with and supervision by the ADA) to help accommodate guests with disabilities. We do have one unit that is a fully accessible ADA room. We also make room recommendations based on the information we are given and sometimes have to ask delicate questions to determine the extent of our guests' needs. We don't know if not enough questions were asked or if limited information was provided. I do know that every attempt was made to make you and your wife as comfortable as possible. Nonetheless, we extend our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced and regret we were unable to accommodate your needs.

236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Chalfont, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel many times and each time is as good as the rest. We travel with our small dog (Malti-chon) and stay in the special place reserved for pets - The Abbey. Each time the room has been meticulously cleaned and because it's on the first floor it's easy to take the dog out. It also faces the beach and ocean and we watch the world go by sitting on the rocking chairs outside of our room. The breakfast that comes with the reservation is, by far, the best we have encountered in any hotel. Everyone - from the desk, hotel staff and guests - is friendly and strives to go out of their way. We love the location - it's central to the super Washington Mall and other famous restaurants, homes, and beaches.

Room Tip: Call ahead of time as their rooms fill up fast. Ask for Jean at the front desk!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments! We strive to give each and every unit in the house as much attention as we do our pet friendly rooms. We do agree that booking early during peak months is important when traveling with your pets. With only 17 rooms to accommodate our pet guests they do rent very quickly in the summer months. Hope to see you again soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Marquis de lafayette is a hotel that is pet friendly and you can tell...The services was poor as to the front desk recepetion being rude. The food was great, the morning buffet was very nice. Probably the only nice thing about the hotel. I got charged an extra fifty dollars because of an extra person charge. They consider a 11 year old an adut? They charged me three hundred extra dollars for my room because i didnt stay three nights during labor day. Their prices are over-rated and the cleanliness of the hotel is horrid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Unlike most hotels in Cape May, the Marquis de Lafayette Hotel offers a family program that allows up to two children under the age of 10 years old to stay for free. This was changed from last year where only two children under 8 years were free. Our research shows most hotels will charge for every child except for infants. All our policies are clearly indicated on our web site and confirmation letters. Guests are also notified at the time of reservation what the fees will be upfront unless extra persons are not indicated at that time. With regards to the cost of the room, we do provide longer stay discounts over Memorial and Labor day weekends. A three night stay provided a deeper discount than a two night stay. Had you extended we would have gladly provided the three-night rate. We hope your will stay with us again. Ask our guest services representatives to tell you all about our most current specials.
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

We just finished a two night stay here. Plusses: staff was very accommodating and pleasant. There was a nice young man monitoring the parking lot. He helped us with our bags from the car to our room. The breakfast buffet that came with our stay was great and included made to order omelettes and waffles. Our room was clean and had an air of old world charm. Also, there are many pretty and interesting pieces of furniture and decorative items around the hotel that make you feel you have gone back in time. We didn't use the pool, but it looked very nice. Minuses: much of the hotel is run down and in need of refurbishing. The dining room where we ate breakfast was especially tired and in need of sprucing up. The worst part was that there is no where to shower after check out time. We have stayed in many other Cape May hotels, and there is always a shower for beach-goers on check out day. We drove home covered in sand and salt.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at the Marquis de Lafayette Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay! We do provide an outside shower for our guests by the pool.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have been to Cape May many, many times as it was my family's summer vacation every year in the 70s, 80s and 90s. The town is quaint and wholesome and has nice beaches, eateries, and enough to do for an enjoyable few days in the summer. Since my childhood/teenage days , I have only been back 4 or 5 times, most recently last weekend (8/12-8/13 2012).

A word about the hotels in Cape May:

I have never been to a B&B, and from what I understand they are lovely, but as far as hotels go, PLEASE NOTE: The hotels/motels in Cape May are seasonal and independently owned and while many are lovely, clean, and acceptable, none are of the same caliber of a luxury chain hotel that you would find in a major resort or city. It is important to know that going in, so your expectations aren't unrealistic for this destination.

Because most hotels do not accept reservations for less than 2 or 3 nights, and my husband and I could only stay one night due to our schedules, we drove down on Sunday Morning hoping to find a vacancy that would take us for one night. A couple of options presented themselves and we ended up selecting the Marquis (I had never stayed at this hotel before).

The Lobby was a bit rundown, which made me a bit leary but the woman who checked us in was lovely and accomodating and allowed us tro view the room before check in which was very much appreciated.

Room

Our room was on the smaller / motel side of the property. The room was clean and fair with Lavendar walls, all white wicker furniture, and a dark green rug. The bedding was all white (I like that) and clean, but the mattress was a bit too soft. Because I am petrified of bed bugs, I always inspect hotel matresses and I am happy to report there was no evidence of them, here. One word of caution: The lighting and availibility of electrical outlets in the room was poor so if you need to apply makeup or use a blowdryer, you either need to do so before sunset or in the bathroom.

The bathroom was small and clean but nothing special. I definitely prefer white towels as opposed to the beige ones provided here. We also had a mini fridge and a microwave in the room and a balcony with a nice view of the beach and two lavendar rocking chairs.

The bottom line is, while it isnt a luxury hotel, our room was clean and fairly well maintained with a nice view.

Property

I agree with a previous reviewer that the property could use an update. As mentioned previously, the lobby was a bit rundown. So was the pool area and some of the public areas, however, it wasn't terrible and probably in line with most seasonal privately owned lodging.

Breakfast

We were told at check in that a breakfast buffet would be included at Marqs pub, which was a nice surpise. In the morning, we went to the location and I thought the room was a bit run-down and not very appealling. I was hesitant at first but my husband ordered me an omelet, which was pretty good and we had a waffle from the "Make your own waffle station" that tasted good. I wasnt crazy about the patrons handling the waffle irons, though. The buffet was decent and came with juice and delicious coffee.

Parking

Parking is included and because it was uncrowded, we were able to remain in the lot past check out time, which was a nice convenience.

Location

Probably the best thing about this hotel is its location. You have walking access to the beach, boardwalk, beachfront shops and restaurants and the Washington Street "Mall" which has many shops and restaurants.

Overall, I would stay here again and would recommend it. In comparison with its competition at this location, I would say it would be above average.

On a separate note regarding food in Cape May: The morning we arrived we had breakfast at Uncle Bills Pancake House (in front of the Congress Hall Hotel), which is a longtime favorite of mine and still Great. We had dinner at Frescos on Bank Street and it was excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your thorough review! We appreciate the time you took to post your comments! We look forward to seeing you again!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

While the location of this hotel was great, the front desk person (the person you meet first in the hotel) was surly and rude (although other staff members were nice, including pool people and bell staff)! We rented a suite for 4 people and the room was tiny and in need of updating and cleaning (found lovely things under the bed) Was disappointed in how run down the place was for the money we spent! PLUS, we got charged for having more than 2 people in the room although we had told them there would be 4 when we made the reservation.This additional charge was not mentioned (nor is it mentioned on their website!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I do hope we were given an opportunity to correct any issues you found unacceptable during your stay. We would like to get more detail about what you felt was run down by sending me a message through this site. Appreciate your assistance.
Bloomfield, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I have always heard good things about this hotel so I was shocked when I saw the property. Rooms are small and dingy. Needs a makeover!!! The only saving grace was the great location and the free breakfast which was surprisingly good. Definitely Not Worth the Price. Checked other hotels in the area – same or lower price – Much nicer!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. As requested in the previous review from your travel companions, additional information would be appreciated through the messaging service of this site.

Been to Marquis De Lafayette Hotel? Share your experiences!