“Excellent for traveling with pets” 4 of 5 stars

Marquis De Lafayette Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   501 Beach Ave, Cape May, NJ 08204   |
Ranked #31 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Philadelphia
“Excellent for traveling with pets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Well the first room we were given was much too small and the
next day there was no problem changing to a room with a
sitting area for the same price. Plenty of room, faced the ocean,
outside sitting area, VERY pet friendly. I would totally
recommend the rooms with a sitting area. Rooms also
have a refrigerator and microwave.

All pet rooms are on the first floor and have an entry from the
outside which makes it very easy traveling with pets.

Breakfast buffet is terrific.

Reasonable off season but expensive in the summer.

If you have a pet and need winter break this is highly
recommended.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Philly
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2007

I stayed at the Lafayette a year ago and had nothing but praise for it then. Unfortunately, I can't be so generous this time. What a different experience this year!

The woman at the front desk was very rude and not the least bit helpful. She told me my room wasn't ready; I left for a bit and when I came back, she was sending others to rooms in the same area, but claimed "mine" was still not ready! When she finally sent me to a room, the cleaners were still in there...three of them, one of whom was just sitting out on the balcony, rocking in a rocker! When I got in there, the toilet handle was broken...which means that either the cleaning person knew and didn't say anything or she didn't clean the toilet. I had to wait for the plumber to replace the part. I had to clean the tub before I got into it. The next day, I found ants in the dresser. The room was not sufficiently clean.

I wrote of all this on their comment card, which goes in a mailbox for the management and, two weeks later, I have not had a letter of apology from them.

The only thing good about this hotel experience was the location, which is across from the beach and near the heart of town. But other hotels can certainly boast the same thing. Next time, I will try one of the others.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude desk clerk and dirt
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2007
Preparing rooms for check in is a process in which we take great care. Rooms that are expecting check-ins and those already occupied get priority service—even if it means multiple housekeepers being assigned to a particular room. After the housekeepers are finished the Executive Housekeeper inspects the room and the maintenance department is called in for any items that require repair or replacement. With high usage it is not uncommon for hardware to be replaced on a regular basis and most issues brought to our attention can be taken care of 24 hours a day.

No matter how early a guest arrives rooms cannot always be handed out on a first come, first serve basis due to length of stays and rooms available in a particular style requested. Check in time starts at 4 p.m., however when rooms become available they are released to our guests. Should a guest check in prior to this time we prepare all the paperwork and request a cell phone number so they may be reached as soon as the room becomes available. This way our guests can enjoy their afternoon in Cape May instead of waiting in our lobby. It is extremely rare that rooms are not release by 4 p.m. Numerous visits to the front desk by customers anxious to get into their rooms do not make it ready any faster. Room status checks are periodically made but the Customer Service Representative at the Front Desk is reliant on the Housekeeping department to deem the room completed. We cannot stop a guest from going up to their room prior to that time if they should choose to ignore our procedures to achieve the highest standard of room preparedness.

After bringing this review to the attention of the Executive Housekeeper, she brought to light that the room had not yet been released and were pressured to vacate it when the guest appeared. The reviewer only assumed the room was not cleaned due to observing an insect the next day. This assumption is not an indication reflecting the cleanliness of our hotel.

The comment card had been received and reviewed with the respective departments. The guest had not called the housekeepers back to re-clean the room that night. We were never given the opportunity to determine whether there indeed was a problem for which to apologize.
JayFranklin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

I booked a one night stay here for my family in March of this year. We drove for thirteen hours so we could attend our Sons graduation at the USCG traing center the next day. 1) The lady at the front desk was stiff and not to pleasant at all. 2) She insisted I was someone else that had a reservation there, and charged my card to there billing ( 3 nights stay ) and then didn't know how to credit the charge off of my card. So she said I would have to wait 20 mins. for someone else (half hour) to fix that! When they finally got there and fixed it, then they could't find my reservation I made through Hotels.com (which clearly annoyed them) and questioned me as if I were at the right hotel? Needless to say, my wife and I were getting a little P-od at that point. I showed them my confirmation statement, and supposedly they found my reservation all of a sudden. If it hadn't been March with hardly any rooms available in town that time of year, I would have walked out and looked elsewhere, but we were all tired and didn't know where else to go. 3) I booked 2 double beds so my 2 other kids that came with us would share a bed. They said I had to pay extra charge for four people. ???????????? WHY ? There was no extra linen needed? The bed was already there, it's not like I asked for an extra cot! 4) THE WORST! It rained hard and was extremely windy that night. I mean windy! Our balcony door had huge draft and air leaks all around it. The wind whistled through the cracks of the door ALL night long. It sounded just like a whistling tea kettle boiling, not kidding! Kept us all awake, it was awfull after being so tired from traveling to not be able to get to sleep because of that! I several times had to get up and try to stuff wads of toilet paper into the cracks to try and get it to stop. That would only work for a short time until it was soaking wet and would fall out. Upon check-out I told them about it, and they looked at me as though I had 6 heads, or like I was complaining out of anger from the day before mess up that THEY did!
I would never stay here again. If your going to your Sons/Daughters Coast Guard graduation, I would look elsewhere! Oh-yeah! They charged my card the next month for four person charge.

Stayed March 2007
Lancaster County, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

We stayed at this hotel because it was advertized as a "pet-friendly" hotel. The room was entirely too SMALL and there wasn't even have enough space to put our dog's bed. You couldn't open the bathroom door and the closet door at the same time and everything was either nailed or screwed down. After less than a day, we felt very clastraphobic. While I realize the hotel has to protect itself, we felt the rules and regulations for pet owners was way too strict ! Also, while the continental breakfast had a wide variety of foods, it usually was not very hot and service was sometimes slow.

Since then, we found another hotel that was "pet-friendly" and we had a roomy suite for the same price that we paid here-maybe not all the amenities but much more comfortable with a fantasic view from our balcony. We would not stay at the Marquis de Lafayette ever again.

• Disliked — Room too small! No handicap acess for pet-friendly room on 1st floor.
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2007
Our hotel has been “Pet Friendly” for almost 30 years and we love our pet guests! Out of a total of 73 units, there are 17 dedicated pet rooms, which are all on the first floor with outside access. Among these 17 rooms are four different styles/sizes to fit the needs of our pet and human guests. With the comfort of our guests in mind the “Pet Friendly” page of our website (http://marquiscapemay.com/petfriendly.html) shows descriptions of each style along with recommendations based on the number of pets and their size. This reviewer stayed in an Abbey—the smallest and least expensive of our rooms reserved for only two people and only up to two small or one medium size dog. If we had availability, a different room style could have been offered to these guests that better suited their needs. Although we make recommendations the decision on the style of room is ultimately left up to the guest (within reason).

Although this reviewer felt our pet policies are too strict we must take into consideration that 56 rooms in the hotel are not pet friendly. Not everyone is comfortable with the Pet Friendly concept but we make it work because of these policies. The policies protect the well-being of the pets, their owners, guests, staff, and property. A animal bite caused by a child or adult who accidentally steps on your pet in the lobby can lead to a heartbreaking outcome for pets and owners (confiscation and quarantine by Animal Control, vet examinations, fines, medical bills, and potential lawsuits). We hope that our guests can trust the experience we’ve gained in all the years we’ve operated as a Pet Friendly hotel. Matters of safety and comfort are first and foremost for everyone in our establishment. Anyone interested in staying with us is welcome to review and ask questions about these policies before reserving a room and will find them to be reasonable and respectful to all our guests. This reviewer is always welcome to stay with us again in a larger room style like our Victorian Suite, pool side Marquis Suite, or pool side Cape May Suite.

With regards to our breakfast in the Victorian Garden Restaurant, we serve a full American Breakfast buffet each morning during peak season. Although our breakfast ranks high with our customers giving us the distinction of “Best Breakfast Buffet”, we do encourage them to provide feedback if they are dissatisfied so our Chef can immediately correct any issues. We are always open to constructive comments and strive to make everyone’s experience at the Marquis de Lafayette Hotel a memorable one.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

Stayed in a pet-friendly room in Sept., 2007. The room was clean for a beach resort (a little sand on the tile floors is always to be expected at the beach), but very small. I'm glad I only brought my smaller dog and didn't bring my 105 lb dog - there would hardly be enough room for him to turn around or lay down. Having the rocking chairs on the porch is nice - the curved design of the rooms makes it possible to sit on the porch in the morning without being baked by the rising sun. Bed was comfortable and clean. Could have used more electrical outlets. As with every hotel, there are never enough light fixtures.

The restaurant was very good for breakfast, a lot of choices and everything tasted good, especially the omelettes. We didn't eat any other meals there. Staff throughout the hotel was friendly and helpful - no issues at all.

I thought the list of prices in the guestbook for everything in the room (ashtray, smoke detector, remote control, the guestbook itself) was a little weird, but kind of funny. I read the management response to an earlier review in which they said that the list of charges is for those guests who want to buy the items; nevertheless, it does come across as a little distrustful. It made me want to steal the ashtray, but it was screwed to the plastic table and I thought the table was overpriced so I decided against it. I also thought it a little weird that they charge a deposit fee for the magnetic key cards for the door - a $60.00 hold was put against my credit card, but removed without charge once I checked out. Never seen that done before.

All in all, pretty good hotel, just quirky management. The location is great.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Montclair, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

My wife, baby, and I stayed at the Marquis for a weekend in September. We wanted a decent room with a balcony overlooking the ocean, and a location near the beach, restaurants, and shopping. The Marquis delivered on all that. You simply can't beat the location in Cape May, and the balconys, many of which are arranged in a curving building as to maximize your view, are lovely.

However, we were expecting more for our money, which for us was a bit higher than most Jersey Shore hotels. The room walls and furniture have clearly been around the block a few times, and my wife claims the bedsheets were the worst she had ever had. Maintenance didn't seem like a priority. I might not have minded so much if the room wasn't full of signs and instructions warning us not to break anything. There was even a "price list" of every item in the room (down to the smoke detectors) telling guests how much we'd have to pay if we stole things. I realize that many hotel guests are thiefs, but that does not mean the rest of us need be punished.

• Liked — The location and view
  • Disliked — The unfriendly front desk staff and sub-par room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Veesh62, Manager at Marquis De Lafayette Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2008
A lot of pride goes into our hotel, especially since our $4 million renovation in 2004. Rooms do go through a certain amount of wear and tear. However, our maintenance and housekeeping departments are top notch. Their respective issues are always a priority and addressed on a daily basis. Any room issues found by housekeeping is reported to maintenance and repairs are made before arrival and during room services. At the end of our busy season each room is completely detailed from top to bottom. With a high rate of occupancy (most times at 100% in season) it is not always easy to take a room out of service to repaint walls or refinish furniture, therefore we do temporary touch-ups. We encourage our guests to let us know if they find anything that is not quite right in their room. Our response time to any of our guests’ needs is immediate. Linens are of top quality and high thread count. As they are passed through laundry they are inspected for stains, thinning, and holes. These are quickly rejected and replaced with new ones.

Most of the signs posted in the rooms are required by law. Others are instructional. Nowhere in our rooms do we “warn” people not to break or steal. Contrary to this reviewer’s opinion, we do not believe that “many hotel guests are thiefs”. Our guest directory does have a page that indicates the replacement costs for items in the room. It also serves as a price list. Believe it or not, people request to purchase some of the hotel-quality items we carry. Do we charge for damages and blatant theft? Yes, we do—on rare occasions when it is necessary. All hotels do, otherwise they simply pass on these costs by increasing their rates. We try to avoid this at all costs. Our efforts to keep this hotel in the best condition at the best rates have paid off by the thousands of guests we serve each year! Our high percentage of return customers, their positive comments and “thank-you” notes indicate we are doing things right. We hope this reviewer will give us another try, taking advantage of their repeat customer discount.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Just got back from a four day stay at the Marquis and I have to say this was hands down the best hotel at the NJ shore that I have ever been to! ( As a lifelong NJ resident I have been to many) The staff was excellent..from the parking attendants to the managers..always friendly and approachable. The rooms were immaculate and the views amazing. Breakfast (which was included )was delicious and far beyond what I expected from a buffet. The pool was clean and the attendants were always ready to set up some lounge chairs and get us clean towels. All of the front desk people were helpful and available..even when we called them at midnight to help us with a spill/broken glass in our room. This is a great hotel for anyone who wants to take in all of beautiful Cape May and doesn't want to drive! It's centrally located with beach access right across the street and the Washington Mall shopping area just three short blocks away. We had a balcony room facing Ocean Drive and enjoyed the views at night without much noise at all. The balconies are private and and comfortable with two rocking chairs. The hotel is great for families and even offers some rooms where guests can bring a pet. We will definitely be back next year if not sooner!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marquis De Lafayette Hotel? Share your experiences!