“Carroll Villa has an incredibly friendly atmosphere, top notch accommodations and great food!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carroll Villa Hotel

Ranked #9 of 42 hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersGold level
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

The staff, management and owners, Mark and Pam do a a fantastic job in making our stay a mini retreat. We smile the whole time we are there!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

708 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

The place was gorgeous! It reminded me of my Great Grandmother's home- of course a bit more modern, but the welcomingness and the decor was that of the earlier era. The fireside lobby was a pleasant place to wind down the night after touring the Christmas lights of Cape May.

I was pleasantly surprised even though we were only about a block from the beach there was no typical musty odor you get in the older seaside home. The place was well cared for - they are updating the rooms to be a bit more modern Victorian, but it still works... I really liked that they were environmentally conscious with soap and shampoo dispensers on the shower stall. Oh and the towels are nice and soft... I've been use to modern hotels where there are lots of noise, I can tell you I didn't hear anything once I was in the room except for my neighbor's bath fan once. My parents commented on the same thing... they only heard the neighbor's alarm go off.

Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Food was fantastic... actually amazing... I don't know if it was the chef, the water or the fresh air, but it was the best food I tasted in about a year... we had breakfast and lunch at the hotel... just simple omelets and burgers.

The bad? It is a 1882 Victorian home so don't expect large rooms or an elevator. Parking is off street - since it was off season that was easy, but I don't know what they do during high season... it is walking distance to highlights so I could see myself Grey Hounding it in and enjoying a few days without a car...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

My husband and I along with our friends (7 or 8 coouples usually) have been staying here annually for the last 7 years . Mark and Kathi and the staff have become like family to us. They have made our stay comfortable and enjoyable every time. The rooms are warm and comfortable and clean. Best of all are the meals we enjoy every day at the Mad Batter are outstanding. Hope to return for many many years to come.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

This is the worst hotel I have ever been in. Worse than the one star hotel in Ramallah. Worse than the Soviet era hostel in Gatchina, Russia, close to the Artice Circle.
In short, my spouse and I stayed here for a wedding nearby. The room was dingy and unkempt. The phone did not work and the remotely operated AC did not have a remote.

The main point of contention however, was the behavior of the owner when called as a last resort when the room's AC failed on a July night. Rude, condescending, would not shake hands and in general, behaved in a boorish manner. If you read the other reviews, you will see a clear pattern of behavior involving basic common courtesy that apparently eludes the staff of this hotel.It costs nothing to be polite, and yet for several hundred dollars a room, the staff cannot be bothered.

I would not ever recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. Please try us another time when coming to Cape May so we can work out our differences. Happy New Year from all of us at the Carroll Villa Hotel and Mad Batter Restaurant
Mark Kulkowitz,Pam Huber owners
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

We had another great experience at the Carroll Villa. The bar is fun, the restaurant has great food and friendly service. This time I stayed in room 9. A nice sized room that was recently redone. It's a great space and very comfortable. The staff is always friendly and very accommodating.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

Spent two cold blustery nights at the delightful Carroll Villa in early December and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. A perfectly charming setting to enjoy our special weekend, the Carroll is very conveniently located to the beach and the shopping areas (although many were closed for the season). The staff was friendly and attentive and the rooms well appointed although the shower stall is small. We had two very good dinners next door at the Mad Batter, and although we had planned to find another good restaurant for the second special evening…decided to go with what works and went back for that last night. Glad we did too! My wife and I have decided the time to visit Cape May is in early December and the place to stay is the Carroll Villa. Thanks Kathi and the good folks who made our stay very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Plainsboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Recently spent a wonderful weekend at the Carroll Villa in Cape May. This charming hotel is within walking distance to all the sites, and the delicious breakfasts and dinner were highlights of our Christmas kick-off weekend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Carroll Villa Hotel? Share your experiences!