“very nice” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked one night through Travel Zoo. The room was clean, comfortable and cozy. Breakfast the next day was very good. I took advantage of the 30% discount for the Mad Batter restaurant for people who stay at the bed and breakfast. Dinner was excellent; the crab cakes were the best I've tasted. One of the best restaurants in Cape May.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Rangers1, Front Desk Clerk at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Lorraine:
We are glad that you could join us at the Carroll Villa Hotel and delighted that you enjoyed The Mad Batter Restaurant as well. Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had a nice stay here with us in Cape May.

Yours truly,
Mark and Pam and the Staff at the Carroll Villa Hotel and the Mad Batter Restaurant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable room with private bath, great breakfast and friendly staff. Conveniently located with easy access to beach, stores, wineries an great restaurants! A great place to stay while visiting Cape May.

Stayed March 2013
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked a 2 night stay at the carroll villa "hotel" through groupon. Cost me 200 bucks ,but included breakfast and wine in our room. I booked it for our 5 year anniversary! We took the 3 hour drive up there from Brooklyn ny. I was very excited because this was our first trip to Cape may.. Although I know the weather wasn't perfect and it was off peek season I have to say I was royally disappointed.
I did more than my share of reviews that I feel like I was there several times lol. I read nothing but good reviews with an occasional reviewer saying it was too noisy (big deal). When we arrived the ladies at the desk were very helpful and nice. They were the only thing I liked about the place. They gave us our breakfast vouchers but informed us the restaurant was closed .it only opens for breakfast . The problem was we arrived around 1230pm and were hungry, plus where were we going to eat dinner. I know there were other restaurants around but we planned on staying there. On there website it says the restaurant was only closed in jan and feb ..said nothing about it being closed in march. Plus I was looking forward to happy hour..which didn't happen...
The other thing that got me was that every one leaves at 4 pm..so after that your on your own...which I could not believe...I put hotel in quotes for a reason and this is why.. Once we got to our room my wife was very uncomfortable about the lack of security and the fact that no one was going to be there after 4. My wife then checked under the bed , something she does every time we go away and the mattress was on ply wood...that was the last strike...for the first time ever we actually left the "hotel"... Never did I think I would have to do that especially with all the reviews I did.. We didn't want to go I'm being that it was our anniversary so booked a real hotel in Atlantic city which is not our cup of tea either but at least it was better than sleeping on plywood with no one around if you needed something. Called groupon up the next day and got a full refund

Stayed March 2013
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
It seems very unfair that hundreds of Carroll villa customers stay with us without being angry and upset that we don't stay all night at the hotel. We have been running the Carroll Villa for thirty five plus years and these comments are just frustrating. We are AAA rated, Mobil rated, members of the Professional Association of Inn Keepers.....
We have telephones in the room (free), are sprinklered throughout the building. We leave a number if there emergencies and live just minutes away.
Off season, we offer limited restaurant hours. We gave these nice people from New York a $30.00 breakfast voucher in our restaurant , bottle of wine, wine tour tickets, departure gift for $119.00! There are at least 7-10 restaurants that were open the day these people were to stay that they could have walked to.
To criticize us when you did not even stay with us for more than ten minutes is unbelievable. We have had hundreds of guests this winter take advantage of our hotel and some with this offer and have never had an experience like this.
To offer such a written review without even staying with us or asking how we could have helped have a good stay is unacceptable and rude. We have felt that this review is wrong and should be removed fron Trip Advisor. The review represents the idea that you can write anything you want and have it be seen as reality which is unreal and unfair. Thank you. Mark Kulkowitz-Owner
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I also used the groupon deal and we couldnt have been happier with the Carroll Villa hotel. The staff was very friendly and gave us great advice on where to go and what was open, especially since it was the off season. We were very surprised just how good The Mad Batter restaurant was and we would recommend it over most of the restaurants in cape may.

Chesapeake, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The service at this Hotel is excellent! The meals at the MadBatter were some of the best in Cape May area! The staff were very helpful and went out of there way to make your stay a wonderful experience! When we travel again to Cape May this is where we will stay! It is right in the middle of everthing in downtown Cape May1 Only a half block from the beach and a block from the shoping at Washington Mall. Again had a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 21 and had an ocean view from our room!
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Carroll Villa Hotel is really a great get-away! The staff was outstanding, not only friendly, but no request was too much trouble. The ONLY improvement that could be made...the shower left something to be desired. The Mad Batter is very nice, both food & service were great. HAPPY HOUR was enjoyed by all! RUSTIC PIZZA is terrific!!!! I hope to make our St Patty's weekend an annual event! THANK YOU CARROLL VILLA!!!!

Room Tip: # 28...3rd floor corner, ocean view ;)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lindenhurst, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just returned from Living social special week-end. Stayed in Rm 34. Nice size room, clean and private. Sink way too small. Fridge in room was nice surprise. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Enjoyed happy hr but after several drinks, we asked for some chips or pretzels and was told they didn't have any. Breakfast both days was yummy, however not hot at all. Lukewarm at best. Husband's breakfast potatoes were actually cold and butter would not even melt on my waffle or french toast. Also ate dinner there Sat nite and was informed when bill came, that they would not honor the "one free dessert with purchase of two entrees voucher" they gave us when we checked in. Reason being, we were already getting 30% off dinner which is standard for all their hotel guests. So my question is - why did they give us the free desert coupon in the first place?????? Second question is why did they take the coupon at the restaurant and then come back later after desert was delivered to us and state that they would not honor coupon?? It's misleading. Makes you order a desert that you otherwise might not have ordered. Unfortunately, dinner was disappointing. Had the short ribs and skirt steak. Both lacking in flavor and mashed potatoes were cold. Attended in afternoon what they called a "Pasta Making class and wine sampling". Assumed that WE would be the ones making it. Should have been called a "Pasta Making DEMONSTRATION Class" We watched a former chef of the Carrol Villa make two pasta dishes that we got to sample along with one glass of wine. The best thing about the Carroll Villa is the location. Close to the beach, shopping and beautiful homes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments. We have run the pasta making class for two years now and the vast majority of our customers have enjoyed the experience of our chef sharing with our guests the art of pasta making...
The promotion that you got never offered 30% off dinner..This was for our guests who did not book the promotion. What we were trying to do was give you a better deal of 30% off dinner with the purchase of two entrees-a better offer than an appetizer or dessert in our mind...You were trying to get something that was not part of the offer and we were trying to be generous and now we look like the bad guys.
We are always attentive to food. If there are concerns about ones meal our staff will always try to make it right.
Enjoy the Spring-Mark Kulkowitz-Owner

Been to Carroll Villa Hotel? Share your experiences!