“Quaint and nice in the off season” 3 of 5 stars

MID-WEEK 7/2/14- 7/11/14
Ranked #9 of 42 hotels in Cape May
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
“Quaint and nice in the off season”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We used a Travelzoo voucher to stay here that included a trolley tour, tastings at 2 wineries, free breakfast, and a bottle of wine that I didn't know was ours?! (Darn, we didn't take it. :( Should've asked.... we thought it might be one of those things where if you drink it you pay for it... That just makes me mad.) In any case, we had to pay extra for our room because there were none of the deal rooms available when we stayed. We were on the 3rd floor up 2 steep staircases, luckily we only had an overnight bag so the exercise was good for us. The room was nice - we had a bedroom and a sitting room. The bed was a bit too hard and the heater in the bedroom didn't work well - couldn't get it to heat at first, then we couldn't get it to stop heating! The bathroom was fine but the shower stall was TINY and the door to the bathroom was hard to keep closed... For one night, the accomodations were just fine. The Mad Batter's dinner and breakast were good, not great, but good. If I were to return, I'm not sure that I would go to either the Villa or the Mad Batter again....
We paid a little extra to take the Holiday Trolley tour to see the lights as we visited Nov. 25-26 but it was a bit disappointing as there weren't as many homes decorated yet as there are a week later into the season... I'd definitely like to visit Cape May again, perhaps bring the kids. There's plenty to do even in the off season, however, many of the stores are not open but there is a good sampling that is open.
One note - in many of my searches on Cape May B&B's, I was glad to see that the Carroll Villa did not come up once having ghosts. This was very important to me.... I do NOT want to see/feel/encounter any ghosts... but that's just my quirk....

692 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Sparta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband & I have been going to Cape May for our anniversary for 10 years. This was our first time staying at Carroll Villa. We did have a great weekend! The weather was terrific! The Mad Batter is excellent for breakfast and dinner! But our room was disappointing. It was tired and old; definitely in need of refurbishing. I knew it would be small, but was surprised that the ceiling was peeling and marked up, carpet was extremely worn and bathroom was rusty. The room and bathroom were clean, just not as nice as we're used to.
My biggest problem with the Caroll Villa and my motiviation for writing this review.....our reservations were for Nov 9-11. Just after Hurricane Sandy. My husband and I live in northwest NJ and our area was without power for almost 2 weeks. The children missed 2 weeks of school. There had hours long gas lines and then odd-even days at gas stations. As recovery from the storm dragged on, my husband & I realized we felt unsettled having our anniversary weekend in the midst of all the turmoil.
We called and spoke to the magager, Kathy, at Carroll Villa. The hotel's cancellation policy is 10 days advanced notice for a refund. We called 9 days in advance of our scheduled trip. Kathy was incredibly unsympathetic and inconsiderate. We explained that we had several issues that might prevent us from keeping our reservation. All due to Hurricane Sandy. We had problems getting gas, our babysitting situation was up in the air because the kids were supposed to be off from school but now looked like they might be in school, we didn't want to leave our home and kids if the power was still out.
Kathy's initial reaction was cold and matter of fact. She said the hotel strictly follows their cancellation policy and it wouldn't be possible to refund our deposit. We asked to speak to the owner. If a refund wasn't possible we asked for a credit to use for a future stay. Several phone calls later......we did not speak to the owner and Kathy became harsh and rude. She said to my husband that no one else is trying to cancel. The Cape May area was fine and had no damage from the storm so we don't need to cancel. And finally, she grew impatient with talking to my husband, who was shocked at the conversation he was having, she said my husband was creating the problem! She said they are running a business and we have 'two choices. To keep our reservation or stay home and lose our money.' They did offer us a credit, but we would have had to use it by February! Not reasonable in our opinion!!
We worked everything out at home and went to Cape May for the weekend; not sure what kind of reception we'd get when we checked in. We didn't meet Kathy. And the gentleman at the desk was very nice. But that wasn't the way we should have had to celebrate our anniversary. What a poor example of how to treat people in a time of crisis! For this reason alone, I would never stay there again or recommend it to anyone else. Even if the room was gorgeous, I would not give Carroll Villa our business again.

Perkasie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had a wonderful overnight stay at Carrroll Villa Hotel. The staff was great, very accomodating, helpful and eager to please. Although we are summer residents of the Cape May area this was a bit different from the summer hustle and bustle. We will definitely do it again.

Room Tip: Room 34 was great
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here while using a Travelzoo voucher. The items included were great - trolley tour, tastings at 2 wineries, free breakfast with mimosa/bloody mary, bottle of wine in the room. The inn and room were a bit dated and musty. Our room (#18) was on the 3rd floor, which you do have to walk up to, however, when I made the reservation, they did advise me of that fact so we knew in advance. The room was fairly small and just seemed dated - the wallpaper, furnishings, etc. I understand it is a Victorian B&B, however, the room just seemed old instead of antique. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was nice. I will say that the downstairs bar has a great happy hour, and the breakfast was excellent!

I can't wait to return to Cape May, but would likely stay elsewhere in the future.

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Nice place, was as described would definately go there again. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Restaurant and bar were nice as well. No need to go anywhere else. Short walk to the beach about half block.

Room Tip: Room 21 has ocean view very nice
kesrya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was our second time staying at Carroll Villa and the first time we brought our 20 month old son. Most Cape May B&Bs won't allow kids, but the folks at Carroll Villa are very welcoming of well behaved children and still manage to keep the B&B elegant and luxurious. Our first trip was for our anniversary, and it was perfectly romantic. This time, with our whole family, we felt just as welcomed. And there was another couple with a 6 month old. The walls are thick and everything is quiet, despite the presence of children.

We wanted to do something special and memorable for Thanksgiving, as this was the first in 15 years that we would not spend with my father who passed away in September. The inn was self-check in, and we enjoyed the peace and quiet after a great turkey dinner at a nearby winery and a stroll around Cape May to enjoy the Victorian holiday lights.

I had mentioned in passing that the next day would be my husband's birthday, and they remembered and left a Happy Birthday balloon and little salt water taffy gift in the room. We felt welcomed and well cared for.

Our breakfast the next morning at the Mad Batter was superb as usual. All in all it was the perfect holiday "get-away" for our little family to relax and celebrate after several months of a very difficult time in our lives due to the illness and death in our family. We are so thankful!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

This is our second time staying at this charming bed and breakfast and we were not disappointed. Our room was clean, the bed & linens comfy. A bottle of wine was a gift in our room. The breakfast included was fabulous & the service accomodating and excellent. The bar was so comfortable and welcoming & we loved the fireplace on. Our dinner was delishous and again the service was great. Great location near the beach and shops. We met some really nice people who also were repeat customers. What a good value.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Carroll Villa Hotel? Share your experiences!