“Great Food and Ideal Lodging” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 42 Hotels in Cape May
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
“Great Food and Ideal Lodging”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Mark, Pam and the staff go out of their way to make you feel at home. Breakfast on the front portch is amazing. Nice to relax with that second cup of coffee and watch the people go by.

The beach is a block away and and everything you need is in walking distance. The Mad Batter has a great bar with interesting people, live music and fun, fun, fun over cocktails.

Check out their dinner menu; always something different there and roll in to bed after dinner drinks. Nice to have a hotel, restaurant and bar on site and we could not have been happier.

Do not hesitate to stay a few nights and feel like you were away a whole week.

Thanks for having us!
Brian & Barbara

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
La Habra, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I booked the room that the website characterized as great for a family - large. Really? With the trundle bed in use, you couldn't walk around the room -we had to crawl over the beds. It was tiny! The mattresses on the daybed and trundle were sagging so badly, my 7 year old complained about his back for days. I understand there being no elevator, and we've stayed at B&Bs for years, but at every one, some assistance was at least offered with bags. Not this time. The Mad Batter was nice, but be careful when ordering. I am allergic to eggs, and carefully read the menu and was pleased to see a yummy breakfast dish that didn't appear to have eggs (it was a seafood wrap kind of thing). When it arrived, lo and behold, it was full of eggs! When I pointed this out, the waitress said no, it wasn't listed, but after all, it is a breakfast menu (so what else could I have expected?). We made it work by trading parts of the rest of the family's dishes, but come on...
The kicker is that I paid as much for this room as I did for a moderately sized room on the beach (with a beach view) at the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki! Definitely not planning a return visit to this hotel. Cape May, as always, is wonderful.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Orange, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed our stay. The room was great, and the food at the Mad Batter was excellent. Overall the Carroll Villa is a great bargain and a great place to stay when you visit Cape May. P.S. The staff are super welcoming and accommodating!

Room Tip: Room 16 is a very good deal and very comfortable for a couple.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

My wife and I reserved a room for one night for June 10 two weeks in advance. We have two young boys 4 & 5 and have not had a weekend alone in several years. We were going to a wedding on a Friday eve in Cape May. One week later my wife's Father passed away. I called the Carol Villa on the Sunday before our reserved night (5 days prior) to cancel our reservation. First the manager Kathy said she could not refund our money. Then I spoke with both Pam and Mark (owners) and they both refused to refund our money. Their reason being they have a policy and we did not buy trip insurance from them. I understand the reason for their policy but I was asking them for some compassion and they could not find it in their money hungry hearts to refund our money. At first Pam (owner) said lets see if we can rent it and will talk next week. Well they didn't rent it. The next week I spoke with Mark (owner) and he was was very rude and half-heartedly offered for us to spend a night there when they are not busy. I mentioned it was not convenient for us to travel to Cape May and Mark said "we should make it convenient." I said to him, "you are unbelievable." He responded by hanging up. I still can't believe Mark's behavior. They charged us $250 for doing nothing, no service at all. We took the room off the market for one week. I'll bet they had more than one room vacant on Friday June 10 proving that our 1 week of taking the room off the market did not cost them a rental. In the end though, its about how we treat others, and for Mark, Pam and Kathy I hope what goes around comes around. To all searching to stay in Cape May please do not stay at the Carroll Villa.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Rangers1, Owner at Carroll Villa Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
As My mother told me, there are always two sides to a story. First, we want to again send our condolences to the family.
As per the "review", we made every attempt to help the man with the offer to come to the Carroll Villa another time. We said we were truly sorry about the loss of a loved one, and that aside try to explain that is why we offer trip insurance. That being said, we did offer another nite but that as we did not rerent the room we felt that by offering them another visit to our hotel down the road that we were being fair and considerate.....He refused saying it was not in the cards at which point I said there is nothing more I could offer.
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Looking for somplace to go at the spur of the moment I chose the Carrol Villa in Cape May. It was very quaint as you would expect in an old Victorian Hotel but was very clean and accommodating. The staff was very friendly and if you spent time talking to them they were never in a rush to move you on. As far as price goes they were very reasonable especially if you factored in eating at their wonderful restaurant which they offered you discounts on when you stayed with them.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Using my iphone Tripadvisor app for navigation, we pulled up to the Carroll Villa with no reservation and were warmly welcomed, given a lovely room (the balcony on the street) and enjoyed every moment. From the delicious dinner, the live music, the local beers, it was definitely the place to be. The lineup for the Mad Batter restaurant went down the street for both dinner and breakfast. It's right across from the beach, on a very quaint street (the oldest in town, I believe) with horsedrawn carriages and lots of people (not cars). Our trip to Cape May was quick, and we both hope to go back!

Room Tip: Go for the street-level room with the terrace! Only one in the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Stayed here one night for our anniversary. Room was clean but small, probably due to the older age of the building. Our time at the hotel was limited but the proximity to the shopping and the beach made it worthwhile. Also enjoyed a nice breakfast at the restaurant downstairs. Overall a pretty nice place.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Carroll Villa Hotel? Share your experiences!