“Clean and spacious” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 42 hotels in Cape May
Boston, Massachusetts
“Clean and spacious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This motel was exactly what my friends and I were looking for. It was clean and spacious. There were 4 friends traveling together and we had 2 rooms next to each other, great amount of space in the rooms, nice to have the little kitchenette in the room. Well maintained pool and grounds. Some areas are a little worn (like carpet in our room) but otherwise it was just what I had hoped. It's not right on the beach but it's a nice walk down to the water or into town. I would stay here again if/when I return to Cape May.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Gibbstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just completed a stay and were most pleased with the property. The management was friendly and accomodating. The room (Suncatcher Suite) was spacious enough for me, wife and kids (8 and 5). Location was ideal as it was easy to get to any number of beaches, Washington Street mall, Physick House, and was also on the trolley route! If you are the type of people who MAKE their own memories and do not rely on the property to do it for you, this is the place. If you are not pet people, do not worry. We stayed in a non-pet room and there was no evidence that it had every been used for pets of any kind.

Glenham, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The arrangement of the room, the A/C, the ability to accommodate our arrival by moving people around so we could stay in the same room and allowing our dog to be there was wonderful. We were a last minute reservation. The people work very hard to keep it clean and running smoothly. The pool was great. They knew local places for us to go with our dog. The only thing we still needed was restaurants that allowed dogs. They recommended 2 places, but one was closed by the time we got there. Our dog got ill and they information about vets in the area. I would go back!!!

Room Tip: Dogs need to be on the lower level.
Franklinville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Every year my hsuband and I vacation in Cape May with our daughter and our dog. We have stayed at every pet friendly hotel in Cape May that there is and found out earlier in the year that the MABC was pet friendly so we figured we would give it a try. We loved it! It is the best pet friendly hotel/motel in Cape May. The office staff are wonderful and accomodating, you are never bothered. Housekpeeing does a phenomal job, the rooms are so clean that you would never know a pet was in your room. We stayed in the Sunset Suite which has a private bedroom with queen sized bed, full sized kitchen with all the cooking, drinking and eating amenities which includes a full sized refrigerator and table and chairs, living room has a pull out sofa bed. The Bathroom is large and has a washer and dryer. This suite was very roomy for the 3 of us and our a 150lb dog! Pool was beautiful and well maintained which includes a separate hot tub. Only suggestion would be to add another table and chair set with unbrella at the pool because currently there is only one. The office offers free passes to ride the trolley into town right outside of the hotel, which is so convenient. We will book our vacation for next summer early next year and definitely stay longer! We didn't want to leave! We will never stay at another pet friendly hotel in Cape May, MABC is the only place for us!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We traveled as a family with my daughter bringing a friend, so we needed more space than usual. we booked the second floor Sand Castle Suite. Although pricey, it exceeded my expectations. The kitchen was large and well furnished. The living/dining room was well decorated and comfortable, with a pullout sofa. The master bedroom had a king bed, with a good mattress. (I have back issues, and need a supportive mattress. I woke each day with NO back pain, and well rested.). The master bathroom had a jacuzzi tub (but no shower); the second bathroom had a standalone shower. The second bedroom was smalleer, with a double bed. There was also a washer/dryer in the unit, as well as flat screen tv's inthe living room and each of the bedrooms. The complex also has free wi -fi and cable tv. Our unit was very, very clean. Its spaciousness was greater than expected.

The outdoor pool was well maintained, and my children enjoyed it and the hot tub.

MABC is about eight blocks off the beach. Consequently, it is quieter than the more crowded beach front properties. However, it would be nice if MABC provided beach chairs/umbrellas at the beach, so guests did not have to haul all their stuff to and from the beach.

All in all,the accommodations were great and helped to create a a memorable Cape May vacation.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rockland County, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in a Surf Studio Pet Friendly room with our 70lbs dog. The room was nicely updated and VERY clean. You would never know this was a pet friendly room! The space is limited, especially if you bring a dog crate with you…. (It is a studio), but the accommodations are more than adequate. The small kitchenette (with nice granite counters) allowed us to have breakfast and lunch in our room…which was nice for the budget. The staff and housekeeping were very friendly and helpful. The location is about half a mile from the beach but about the same to the center of town. Location is nice if you bring a dog, because the quiet residential neighborhood allows for nice long walks with the pooch! The trolley stops right in front of the hotel for those of you who don’t want to drive. The pool was awesome and was a nice alternative to the beach. The only complaints I have is that parking is tight, however we parked our SUV behind the hotel in the bigger parking lot provided to avoid the congestion. Also, the water pressure in the shower is not very strong so be prepared to take a longer shower! We definitely will stay here again! This is the place to be if you go to Cape May!

Room Tip: All pet friendly rooms are on the bottom floor!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

This is an update to a past review.  Three years ago my husband and I stayed in a studio room at the MABC and had a truly great stay.  This time around staying in the same style room we are left a little disappointed.  First off, we came down to Cape May the weekend before the official start of the season which is great because you get all the benefit of the restaurants/shops being open with a lot less crowds.  We get to our hotel only to find that the pool has yet to be opened! Given the rather mild winter and even milder spring we have had its shocking and extremely disappointing that their HEATED pool was not open when all the other hotel's pools were. I'm pretty sure this is false advertising and should have been disclosed because that would have definitely influenced my opinion on staying at MABC. Frankly, our basis for staying here versus the hundreds of other options was based on past experience at the pool.  The weather this weekend was very similar to the weekend we came three years ago except
then it was Memorial Day.  In the warm months I like to stay at hotels with pools and chose MABC again because of the great time we had here in the pool the last time.  Had I known it wouldn't have even been open I most certainly would have chosen another hotel.  Left with more time to be in the room because of the pool's closure we noticed  things  that bothered us this time around like; the poor layout of the bathrooms- the sink is directly behind the door which is awkward, there is a huge unnecessary picture window that looks out onto the back of another hotel property and the curtain covers where the toilet paper is! Very uncomfortable! Also given that this is a "beach club" there are no hooks/towel rods to hang extra towels/clothes out to dry.  And a shelf or two wouldn't hurt anyone- instead of the table that belongs on someone's porch not haphazardly placed in a bathroom.  There are only 4 hangers in the tiny closet (which is strangely in the bathroom) and they are the kind you can't take off of the rod which makes it very difficult to hang stuff up.

If you plan on showering bring your own shower caddy because there is no place to put toiletries in the shower, only a tiny soap dish, so one is left to have to put everything on the floor and bend down to get it.  Its not a big deal for me but someone like my mother who has arthritis and back issues this would be a huge problem and I would have to suggest she not stay here.  Another issue with the shower is that though very comfortable as far as size goes it has no step or ledge for ladies to put their legs up to shave- making this already daunting task that much more difficult.
 In all fairness this hotel is kept in great condition, very clean and not showing signs of aging and were it not for the pool being closed it looks exactly as it did three years ago.  However this time around these issues in design are quite glaring. I think there was alot of thought put into the kitchenettes  but the bathrooms were an afterthought and there is poor furniture placement leaving alot of unusable space.  There is no dining table in the room- you have to go outside to eat or eat on the bed (!) the futons are awkward and in my opinion completely unnecessary- they should remove them and instead offer cots for those that may need it- the studio rooms are, in my opinion, too small and awkward to comfortably fit more then two people anyway.  And MABC would it kill ya to put a bigger bike rack? It wasn't even peak season and there was no room to put our bikes.
All in all, in the future I will be looking to stay somewhere else, which is disappointing because this place could almost be ideal especially given their comparably cheaper rates.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Madison Avenue Beach Club Motel? Share your experiences!