“I've seen better Aquariums, but it was ok” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 15 Attractions in Camden
More attraction details
Owner description: There are always more NEW things to see and do at Adventure Aquarium, where families can explore, discover and play 365 days a year! Whether you're a first-time visitor or a returning guest, you can count on new hands-on activities, new animals and exhibits and unforgettable moments of magic with biologists. Guests can also get hands-on at seven different touch exhibits; experience massive hippos nose-to-nose; and witness the most impressive shark collection on the East Coast, including the ONLY Great Hammerhead sharks exhibited in the country! Accredited by the American Zoological and Aquarium Association, Adventure Aquarium admission is $25.95 for adults and $18.95 for children ages 2-12. 2014 HOLIDAY HOURS: Christmas Eve (December 24) open 10 am - 3 pm; Christmas Day (December 25) open 11 am - 3 pm; New Year's Eve (December 31) open 10 am - 3 pm.
Long Island, NY
28 attraction reviews
“I've seen better Aquariums, but it was ok”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

My friends and I were visiting Philly so we decided to take the ferry over to Camden to see the Aquarium. The aquarium itself was ok, but nothing special. I have to say it is very overpriced.
I dont exactly agree with the other reviews on here. I didnt find the tanks dirty at all. The fish were well kept and most of the tanks were labeled fine. All the fish and animals seemed very well cared for. I do agree with the fact that it is mostly for kids or families. There were tons of kids there and strollers that kept knocking into me. This annoyed me greatly! There were times when we couldnt even get to look at a tank full of fish because of annoying children that would rudely push you out of the way. The seal show was cute, but a little corny for my taste. It was very short and nothing special. The room where they keep the hippos was packed with people so we just took a quick peek and left that area. We did get to pet a shark which was a cool experience. Other than that this place is just ok. We should have saved our money and went to see the battleship New Jersey which I heard was much nicer.

New York, NY
“Go elsewhere for a better aquarium experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

This aquarium was re-designed in 2005-2006 (not sure of the exact time) and it is clear when you enter that the re-design is completely geared towards the lowest common denominator -- in other words, it is the trailer park of aquariums. Exhibits are not labeled, meaning you don't know what kind of fish you're looking at, where it comes from, or whether it even belongs in the tank with its fellows (in many cases, it doesn't). Fish look sickly, and the hippos were swimming around and around in a small tank with dirty water that was overcrowded with a particular species of fish they probably wouldn't encounter in their natural habitat. The organizational scheme doesn't make a lot of sense -- it is arranged as "A, B, C and D" zones rather than by ecosystem, part of the world or any other kind of scientific criteria. Clearly, the arrangement is intended for children to gawk at sea creatures, and not to learn anything or benefit in any way from their encounters with these animals. The whole purpose of viewing an aquarium should be to learn -- especially in these times, when our oceans are threatened, and educating our children about these animals helps us to potentially save them -- and so it is very unfortunate that this aquarium makes little or no effort to be informative or educational. There are much better options -- the Baltimore Aquarium for example -- in the area that would be a better experience for your family.

new york
“Very disappointing...........”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

We went to Philly and I heard so much about this place so I took my daughters that are 3..... The design or layout is stupid...Too many summer camps and the teachers don't even look at what the kids are doing one child scared my daughter while we were trying to take a picture.....Not much to see either the Camden Children's Garden next door was nicer....

Glassboro, New Jersey
12 attraction reviews
“Very expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Very expensive! To leave the building you must go through the gift shop. Only penguins and seals outside --needs a dolphin show or something else! Can be very crowded! Very expensive food-- bring your own! Seals show is good though. Nice touch tanks!

detroit Mi
“What a jewel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

We were just looking for something to do while on vacation. What a jewel we found! Awesome aquarium. The touch tanks are great for kids. They could touch a jelly fish, dogfish, stingray, and shark. You could also sign up to swim with the sharks. Lots of shows including 2 different 4-D movies which were cute but kinda pricey for what they were and the length. Overall, it was larger, nicer and more exciting than we ever expected. I enjoyed it more than Shedd aqaurium in chicago for about $8 less/ person. I was surprised they didn't have dolphins or manatees, but they had hippos, seals and penguins which surprised me. We went the first day of shark week...PACKED! I would recommend paying the convience fee and purchace tickets online to save an hour wait in line. Have fun.