“Great little aquarium” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 14 Attractions in Camden
Type: Aquariums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: There are always more NEW things to see and do at Adventure Aquarium, where families can explore, discover and play 365 days a year! Whether you're a first-time visitor or a returning guest, you can count on new hands-on activities, new animals and exhibits and unforgettable moments of magic with biologists. Guests can also get hands-on at seven different touch exhibits; experience massive hippos nose-to-nose; and witness the most impressive shark collection on the East Coast, including the ONLY Great Hammerhead sharks exhibited in the country! Accredited by the American Zoological and Aquarium Association, Adventure Aquarium admission is $25.95 for adults and $18.95 for children ages 2-12.
Hyde Park, New York
6 attraction reviews
“Great little aquarium”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We visited the aquarium on a Sunday morning around 10:30. We already had our tickets thanks to the citypass so we were able to just walk in. This was great because there was already a line forming for tickets. This aquarium had lots of great features for kids. It had 4 touch tanks where the kids could touch sharks, stingrays, starfish, sea cucumbers and more. Each space was manned by very knowledgeable employees. One thing I really enjoyed about this aquarium is many of the exhibits could be seen from multiple levels. So you didn't run into the problem of everyone crowding around the tank and little kids not being able to see. It took us about 2 hours to cover everything. When we left the wait to get tickets was almost 45 minutes. So I would recommend getting there early and buying your tickets online or with the city pass ahead of time. Also if the weather was nicer there is a children's garden next door.

Visited March 2013
AdventureAquarium, Guest Relations Manager at Adventure Aquarium, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
We are so thrilled that you and your family enjoyed their experience here on Sunday. We always appreciate positive feedback! At Adventure Aquarium, we have a sincere passion for what we do, so please know that your kind words were shared with our Guest Relations team. Early Sunday mornings are always a great time to visit, even on a holiday. We hope you were able to also experience our massive hippos Button and Genny getting breakfast and playing in the water. The fifth largest aquarium in the country, we pride ourselves on being the only aquarium in the world to exhibit hippos. And I hope you were also able to experience Shark Realm – featuring the largest collection of sharks on the East Coast. Again – thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Megan McLaughlin
Guest Experience Manager

Queens, New York
12 attraction reviews
“Beautiful exhibits enjoyed by kids & adults”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I took my 10 year old son to the Aquarium as part of his first trip to Philadelphia. It was the first time either of us had visited this Aquarium and we both enjoyed it. While most of the kids there were much younger than him - he still had a great time viewing the exhibits and participating in the touch tanks (where you can touch sharks, starfish, etc.). I have to say I don't think I've seen a more well done exhibit. The shark tunnel where you walk thru a tank and sharks and fish are swimming over you and on the sides of you was just amazingly beautiful - as was the area situated as a movie theater where you could rest and watch the fish swim in a tank window almost as large as a movie theater screen. I think I could have sat there for an hour just watching the exhibit as I found it so peaceful - but that wasn't going to happen with a 10 year old! The hippo enclosure was also a memorable exhibit. I do agree with other reviewers that the tickets were kind of pricey considering it took us less than an hour to get thru the entire aquarium, however, when I think back at how well maintained & beautifully done the exhibits were (there's an exhibit which is a hallway with various jellyfish tanks which was like watching live artwork) I have to admit it was pricey but worth the experience.

Plano, Texas
18 attraction reviews
“It's gotten better over the years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I think this aquarium is very nice. It has many interactive exhibits that my children seem to really enjoy. The shark exhibit is awesome! I also think the jellyfish exhibit is fantastic! The aquarium is accessible via Riverline, which is a plus as the train lets you off directly across the street so you can avoid the $10 parking fee. In addition, when going into the aquarium you have an amazing view of the Philly skyline. Great for photo ops.

My only complaint is the logistics of the actual facilities. On a crowded day, the parking lot is cramped. The way they designed the aquarium, the line wraps around the street on a crowded day which makes the sidewalk nearly impossible to navigate with small children e.g. in a stroller. The same is true inside. They designed it so that everyone walks in and out in the same small corridor, which gets overly crowded in a matter of minutes! I do not like the design at all. It doesn't seem to flow very well.

At any rate, if you plan on visiting on a weekday when it is not as crowded it is worth the trip. The kids will love it!

West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Neat experience, but pricey for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We enjoyed our time at the aquarium, but felt that the cost was high (about $30 per adult) for the amount of time we spent in the aquarium and the amount of exhibits they had. Thought there would be more to see and do.

20 attraction reviews
“This is my kids favorite! Great family time with some unique exhibits...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We love this aquarium. I've been to many and this one stands out in some of the unique exhibits (i.e. The Hippo Exhibit).
We are near enough to this aquarium to go a few times through the year so we signed up for the annual membership. It's a great deal because the difference in price for one visit and an annual membership are close enough that it makes sense if you intent to go more then once.
Love the Shark and Sting Ray feedings and the areas that you can touch various sea creatures. The Aquarium does focus on children in many of their displays so it keeps the kids engaged (mine are 8, 12, 13 and it's one of their favorite places to go).
There is a ferry that takes you from Delaware Avenue in Philadelphia to the Aquarium across the Delaware River. It's pretty much a full day thing. I'd say to allow at least 3-4 hours in the aquarium itself.
The 3-D movie is just ok - not a real value for the money but can add to the experience if you want some diversion from live animals.
Also, I wouldn't stay in Camden on an overnight. I'm suggesting this to people visiting Philadelphia....it's very accessible from the city and right in the same neighborhood as the Campbell Minor League Ballpark, Battleship New Jersey and the Concert Arena but not much else to do in Camden.
So drive or take the ferry and take the kids with you (or not). Very nice aquarium....going again soon to renew the annual membership.

Visited December 2012