“Who was Cooking?” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Laytonsville, Maryland
“Who was Cooking?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Caldwell Seafood Market & Cafe is the premier go to place for seafood in the area.
We like their cooked seafood as well.

But something was not right the recent evening I picked up a to go order.

Ordered steamed clams - perfect.
Also got the lightly breaded seafood combo. Scallops were burnt, yes, bread crumbs burnt and scallops were chewy - not tender, shrimp were definately not jumbo and also tough, fish was tasty - once the bread crumb crust was removed -also over cooked.. French fries were soggy and I did not receive coleslaw which was part of the meal.

This meal was not up to their normal high quality standards and our previous happy dining with them. Their prices are not cheap.

Enjoy, but just be careful.

Visited September 2013

NJ
“Hmmmm...left with a bad taste”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Went to Caldwell Seafood last night for take out. I ordered the shrimp with escarole and beans. Aside from some very small, but very hard object in the meal, it was good. My husband ordered the lobster tails and scallops in a pink sauce with black linguine. It was just ok and the linguine was not black. The entrees came with absolutely nothing...no side salads...no bread, even though the shrimp was listed with garlic toast. We were a bit put off by the prices as we were charged more than the listed prices on their website. Even when I mentioned the price difference to the man who checked us out, he said the prices were the same on the website, and he did nothing. I thought I might have been mistaken, but I checked the prices on the website again, and I was correct. We were charged $3. more than the posted prices online. I called and spoke to the same man. He apologized and said he would reimburse us the next time we come in, but he didn't ask for our name, so I doubt that will happen. That left a bad taste, and I'm not sure we'll return anytime soon.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Good seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Shrimp cocktail to start was good. Sauce was okay.
We had the grilled salmon and grilled swordfish. Both were good. Atmosphere is simple. Bring your own beer and wine.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chatham, Massachusetts
“If you like seafood, here is the place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

A fresh fish market in the back and a plain, simple restaurant in the front and great seafood dishes including pasta, broiled and fried. My favorite is grilled shrimp with escarole and beans. Nothing fancy, but can't beat the seafood here.

Visited June 2013
Bedford, Texas
“Best seafood place in the area. Bring your appatite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Started with a crab cocktail ( it was so good I bearly got a photo before it was gone). Then the grilled flounder special with lobster risotto I had the fried flounder and the other folks had the sea scollops Suggest splitting a meal unless your a world class eater.

• Visited May 2013