““Exquisite.”” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tampa, Fl
““Exquisite.””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We recently stayed at The Tamarack Country Villa for one night and our only regret is that we couldn’t stay longer – like for a year! In fact, it’s difficult to put into words how incomparable this B&B is. As soon as you set foot on the property you are transported to an Italian villa on a country estate. The architecture will knock your socks off, yet the mood is relaxed, cozy and welcoming.

The rooms: We stayed in the Lilac Hedge room and it was amazing. Not just “great.” Amazing. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the linens felt very luxurious. There was also a separate sitting area (this is true of all the rooms). We were able to view all the rooms and honestly there isn’t one that is less than spectacular. And each is unique, a nice bonus. Each of the second-floor rooms also has a fantastic bath tub in addition to a separate shower. There is also a handicapped accessible bedroom on the first floor. All have great views, and several have porches. The rooms – all of them - are also unbelievably spacious and lovingly appointed.

The common areas are lovely; in fact, the entire B&B is decorated superbly and is incredibly comfortable.

The breakfast: Awesome! Freshly-baked muffins, fruit salad, and an entrée of petite sausage patties, more fresh fruit, and made-from-scratch ricotta pancakes with warm syrup and lemon curd. Sounds good? It tasted even better! Extra treats like homemade cookies at night and glasses of port in our room were an unexpected bonus. A variety of coffee and teas are readily available.

The innkeepers: Tom and Cate are very special people and succeed at being the most gracious hosts. They painstakingly restored this old “castle” over a period of 12 years. The history is amazing.

Location: Very private, quiet and tranquil and within a short distance of terrific restaurants and other services.

The Villa also seems to be a popular venue for weddings as well as private parties, meetings and special events. It’s obvious why!

NOTE: Pictures do not do this place justice. You simply have to stay here!

Room Tip: All rooms are spectacular and very private, are beautifully appointed and have wonderful bathrooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This was an unexpectedly special bed and breakfast in northwestern New Jersey. The owners have done a creative job of renovating a 1900s castle into a distinctive destination with the flavor of an Italian villa. Breakfast was generous and home cooked each morning. We felt welcomed and pampered by the personable and attentive owners and are looking forward to another opportunity to stay at this distinctive and friendly B & B in the near future.

Room Tip: check the web site to select a room. Each is distinctive and all have gas fire places.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Asbury Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a quiet, close getaway for a few nights before our baby is born. We love the idea of a B&B, but I am resigned to the fact that, typically, I have to bring my own food. - I am allergic to gluten and dairy. I was astonished to find that Cate, the owner and innkeeper, was not only a fantastic cook, preparing meals with ingredients from her garden, she was also an extremely skilled baker. Cate made gluten free baked goods daily (including homemade bread) for me and traditional for my gluten-eating husband. There were also gluten-free evening snacks delivered to our room. It was unbelievable. In addition to the delicious food, the inn is BEAUTIFUL. Every room (we toured them all) is inviting and equipped with any amenity you might desire. There is not a window with a displeasing view as the property is perfectly secluded and surrounded by gardens, woods, and a lake. The history of the Villa is equally interesting and the preservation of the building has been done with care. Both Cate and Tom (the other owner - equally wonderful) are available for any need and eager to fulfill any request or answer any question about the area. We didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back next year with our baby.

Room Tip: I painstakingly chose our room based on the photos on the website. Upon arrival I realized that ther...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I'm not sure where to begin. This could end up being long, so I'll cut to the chase just in case you're skimming through reviews. Then, I'll get to the details later. We drove up to this gorgeous mansion in shock. What an amazing find! My wife made the comment, "I never want to go anywhere else." Yes. That's how amazing the Tamarack Country Villa is! I give this place my highest recommendation yet! I wish I could give it more than a 5. If I could I would! The great news is...if you're reading this review you have found this little treasure as well. You can choose to keep looking for a place to stay, but the fact is I can't imagine you finding anything better than this. This is IT! If you stay here you won't regret it. We've stayed at more expensive places, but those places were not even close to being this nice. Okay. The details:

The Property is historic. The owners have brought the Colby Mansion back to life and turned it into a romantic escape! It has all the charm of an old historic building, but it also has the modern day conveniences. Our room had a remote control fire place, a soaking tub, an extra comfy bed, a TV with cable, tons of lighting options, and lots of plug ins. It is absolutely beautiful! I can't possibly describe how wonderful it is! They thought of everything! On top of that the location is great as well. My wife and I needed to escape from the city life for the weekend, and this was just perfect. It's quiet, yet there are places to eat within five minutes or so. There's also a lot of antique shopping in the area which we really enjoyed.

Cate and Tom are the owners, and they were wonderful. We felt so welcome. We enjoyed getting to know them and learning about the property. They were so kind. We had a snack waiting for us one evening, and the next evening we were able to enjoy wine and cheese with them. We had such a great time!

Breakfast was incredible. It's healthy and good. It looks and tastes like food you would get in a very nice restaurant. The omelet was the best omelet I've ever had! Seriously! Delicious!

Okay. So I tried to keep it short and to the point. :) I hope this helps anyone looking for a place to stay. If you're within a few hours of Tamarack Villa I'd recommend making the drive. It's worth it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Harrison, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The only difficulty I'm having with this gorgeous Bed & Breakfast is figuring out where to begin with my positive feedback. Just the property alone sells itself. The outside architecture is exquisite. At first glance, my fiance and I were captivated by its beauty immediately and wanted in. It's secluded on I believe 5+ acres, encompassed by gardens and breathtaking woodlands. Staying here in the winter season was a plus, as the snow on the trees and the grounds really made our surroundings look and feel like a wonderland of sorts from both the outside in, and from our private balcony out. I cant even imagine the beauty once the leaves start coming in on the trees this spring. Thats just the exterior!! Inside, is a whole other world of allure. With all the new renovations blended with unscathed sections of the original space, it really brings you back in time in a sense. Especially with the grand tour we received by Cate, introducing us to the enchanting history behind the Inn. That brings me to Cate and her husband Tom. Intelligent, hip, funny, engaging, welcoming, and most definitely kind people. They put together a tasty plate of cheese and crackers as we sat together in the kitchen over a bottle of both red and white as they shared stories of the inn the evening we arrived. When we returned from dinner later that night, we had a plate of freshly baked cookies and a bottle of Bristol Cream Sherry waiting outside of our suite for us. With the fireplace, big soaking tub and comfortable linens throughout, our room was perfect. In the morning we awoke to the smell of amazingness being whipped up in the downstairs kitchen. As we walked in, we were welcomed with pre-warmed coffee mugs and the choice of several flavored coffees, teas and hot chocolate. Breakfast was very tasty and extremely balanced and fresh. There is not a thing I can think of that was not perfect during our stay. We stay at BnB's at least, twice a month. The Tamaracks Country Villa has by far out done most of our past experiences elsewhere. We will be returning very soon and highly recommend you stay a night or 5! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Woodland Path. Smaller, cozy and sweet. Every room has a little bit of enticement...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jersey City,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the Tamarack Villa for 2 nights, and it was an amazing experience. The room was wonderful - working fire place, jacuzzi in the room and overall cozy. The inn itself is kept immaculately, and owners Tom and Cate are so hospitable. It truly felt like we were part of their family, not guests at their inn! We will certainly be returning in the future, and we fully recommend Tamarack Villa to anyone seeking a quiet getaway.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Woodland Path room, which met our needs fine. All rooms seemed to have the same am...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hopatcong, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I can't say enough about how wonderful our visit was. Cate and Tom meet every need and more. The villa is in a country setting....so peaceful and calm. The food is delicious and each room is so beautifully appointed. This will be a place we return to often!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the rooms. They are all luxurious and so unique.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tamaracks Country Villa? Share your experiences!