“One and done” 1 of 5 stars

Cross street: Readington Road
New Jersey
“One and done”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The wife & I stopped in for a drink after work with the thought of maybe staying for dinner. They've face-lifted the old diner with glass tile, stone and wood, but it still has that diner feel ---low ceilings, high booths, etc. The decor was ok but there was something just uncomfortable about the place. The parking lot had a lot of cars, but once inside we realized they belong to the workers - so many people standing around with no customers. Anyhow, ordered a drink...the waitress was nice but couldn't answer questions about what kind of beer they had or what the happy hour deal was. The happy hour beers were apparently bottle they tried to sell but couldn't so they had them 2 for 1. Anyhow, the waitress (nope, can't call her a server) tried to take our dinner order twice before our drinks had even been delivered. The captain stopped by to see if "everything was ok" too. I think they retooled the diner and kept the same crew. Anyhow, we decided to have our drink and go. Ordered the hummus as a snack, it was chunky and oily but had a nice garlic flavor. Looked at the menu and laughed at the prices. We won't be going back, too many places (The Pluckemin Inn, Char, etc.) in the area with better ambiance, food and service.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rue_Noir, Manager at Rue Noir Steakhouse, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I don't know how to respond to someone who rates a place without trying the food. You came in one early evening with your son, you asked the waitress about a shrimp cocktail, you order a hummus app for the young man and a beer for yourself while you wait for your spouse. Yes it was slow it usually is at that time as we normally get a late dinner crowd. Yes there was plenty of staff and yes we do not serve draft beers - sorry and yes ordered too many beers, decided to cut back and are offering them 2/1 on happy hour. What is so wrong with that? Is it that we are giving some premium beers 2/1? Your spouse ran obviously late, took a look at the menu, wasn't for her or she didn't want to eat here, ate the bread and the Hummus, which I am glad was to somewhat of your liking. But seriously you didn't even eat. What is that all about. I hope in the future you at least try the food before you trash someones establishment. Maybe you were just looking for a diner and thats ok, no need for the drama. Good luck.

Ringoes, New Jersey
“A Bit of a Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband & I went there last week after reading all of the great reviews. We ordered "Jumbo" Shrimp Cocktail and a salad to start. The shrimp WERE big but there were only 3 of them (@ $4.00 per shrimp!). However, the shrimp were NOT deveined. We had to clean the shrimp ourselves which I have never seen, other than the "peel them yourself" variety that you might order in a pub. We wound up scraping black gunk all along the side of the plate. Very annoying in a place that is trying to be an upscale steakhouse. The salad was good but rather skimpy. The steak, however, was excellent as was the au poivre sauce that I ordered as a side.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for input, Based on your feedback and that of others we have changed the portion size of our salads. We will make sure that the raw bar works on the shrimp and apologize for any inconvenience. Thanks again.
New Jersey
“There Are Good Points & Room For Improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The article by Colleen Morrison in The Courier News designs this restaurant as Central Jersey's first French gluten-free ("GF") steakhouse (with the exception of 3 items). Going in with the mindset and discovering that is not accurate is a bit disappointing when one has to follow a gluten-free/wheat free way of eating.
Our waiter, Omar, was FABULOUS! He asked right away if anyone had a food allergy. Well that was a great way to start I thought!
So out come 2 rolls for my husband and a few pieces of polenta with sun-dried tomatoes for me. Secretly I was hoping for a piece of GF bread or a GF roll.
We ordered the lump crab appetizer for $14. Though the crab was tasty it was barely enough for a child, there was no (GF) cocktail sauce or any sauce offered. There was lots of greens taking up most of the cocktail glass. In my opinion, way over priced for the little amount of crab.
My husband had the Caesar salad (which included non GF croutons) and said it was very good.
We each order a steak, me the 6oz. filet and my husband the french cut NY strip. The presentation of the steaks, on the "diner" plates that had a faded blue gingham pattern around the border did not present for the decor of the new restaurant. Please invest in some new plates and donate the other plates.
I ordered the peppercorn sauce to go with my filet and it was delicious!!! I believe it was GF. The asparagus was tasty but a bit overdone and droopy.
We also had a side of mac n cheese which first came out non GF but thankfully our waiter noticed as he was setting it on the table. He took it back and ordered a GF version. Did not know from the menu there was an option on that.
My husband said the side of mashed potatoes was also good.
Keep in mind that each sauce/side is extra.
So now onto dessert . . . I had taken a peak at the dessert menu and was anxiously waiting to try the GF delights. What?!? All the desserts are not GF! Ugh! I can have sorbet anywhere. Well I went for the chocolate mousse type cake. It was really good, slightly warm and light.
Overall the meal was good, the prices a bit high for the quality and the setting. If you dined at the diner you can still see it. Which is no big deal if once you are there the food captivates you to the high class atmosphere of fine dining. Not there yet.
So, we will try it again as some time passes and they work out the kinks. One thing my husband pointed out is that no where did the menu indicate GF. After reading the article in the paper one can be lead to believe it is really an important aspect of the restaurant and the thoughts of the owner but it has been completely left out of the experience.
With other non GF options (as we experienced) it brings to question the certainty of cross contamination. If it is a diet choice no worries, but when it goes beyond choice to a must have . . . not so sure. I hope the owner Nik and Chef Paul classify this restaurant as GF or another one with GF options.

Pittstown, NJ
“New Favorite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been to Rue Noir several times since it has opened. It has quickly become my favorite restaurant in the area. The redo was done smartly. This is a great place for an adult evening out or for a fine business meal. Kudos!

My favorite appetizers are: 1) Fried Calamari, It is lightly fried and the sauce is sweet, 2) Mussels and 3) Clams.

My favorite entrees are: 1) Pork Chop, 2) Filet with mushroom sauce and 3) Seafood Risotto Special

I haven't been hungry enough to get to dessert yet. If I do, I'll get back to you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Not the Anniversary Dinner I was hoping for.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We're locals and had frequented Luca's Diner many times, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience and food. As we're always looking for "the place", we thought we'd give this a try for our anniversary. Sadly that was a bad choice. The decor has changed and they've done a decent job, very nice tile. But it still looks like the diner it was, just different colors and more subdued lighting. We went on a Sunday, so that may have accounted for the minimal amount of patrons. The waiter was very nice and interested in serving us. Always a good thing, but not to be expected. I ordered the chopped salad which was virtually tasteless and watery. I believe it was also supposed to contain cheese, which it did not, or if it did, it was indiscernible.Husband had the escargot, which while pretty tasty, was just luke warm. Odd since the place was practically empty. This also held true for the entrees. I had what they tried to call "Rack of Lamb" at 30 odd dollars. Consisted of 3 fatty, underdone chops that were not "frenched" as they should have been. Also drenched in gravy, which from a diner perspective was pretty good. Should have ordered my old diner standby of french fries and brown gravy, would have been a lot cheaper and probably outstanding. Husband ordered the skirt steak, medium rare. Now mind you this is touted as a "Steak" restaurant, so it was very surprising that the steak came out rare, no medium to be found. Again, also just warm. Now the pièce de résistance was the dessert, a Chocolate Mousse. Something I love, make but have not had in quite some time. Well, this would have been hard pressed to have passed for chocolate pudding, and was filled with granules of sugar & squirted with canned whipped cream...a travesty! Julia Child is rolling in her grave. When I mentioned my displeasure about the dessert to the waiter (couldn't keep in my displeasure any longer) he said it really wasn't a mousse, and did it maybe resemble more of a brownie? A brownie!! Really?? A mousse like brownie?? WTF? So $180.00 later, we headed home. I sadly woke up the next morning with stomach cramps which I can only attribute to this new French Gluten Free Steakhouse. Eat at your own risk!!

• 2 of 5 stars Food