“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 37 Restaurants in Bradley Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Famous restaurant in Bradley Beach on Jersey Shore.
Long Branch, New Jersey
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I took my friend here after reading rave reviews, including the NY times (albeit second hand) and having the restaurant highly recommended by a couple friends. The experience was very disappointing and there are so many better restaurants in the area. First, the neighborhood and the restaurant is shabby. The decor was tacky and the place didn't have a well cared for feel. The live entertainment was too loud and after a while it was too much.

The service was fine and the staff was really friendly. They really talked up the dishes.

The semolina bread was so dry and without a crispy crust. It was served with a parsley pesto that was so dry my friend wouldn't eat it. The salad came in a bowl family style and had lot of the romaine ribs in it. It was fresh but that's about it. The dressing of carrot and other puréed things was really good.

I had the pan fried Chilean sea bass over spinach and cheese ravioli. It's the next day and I still feel queasy thinking about all the oil that it slopped around in. To make my point I tilted my plate so my companion could see all the oil. He said maybe it's partly the water from the spinach. The piece of fish was small and looked deep fried rather than pan fried. It was so greasy but crispy. The fish itself tasted ok. The spinach was good and the cheese ravioli were just OK but on the end seemed an odd complement to the dish, especially in the pool of liquid.

My friend got the bracciole and he said it was just OK. He ordered a side of the wild mushroom risotto which we both looked forward to. It was really dark brown and dry and sticky - not creamy as you would expect. I tasted it and it had a nice flavor. He said it was mushy and not made right.

We got ice cream down at Pier Village in Long Branch rather than stay at the place.

Puzzled by all the positive reviews.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

usa
“Wonderful Lamb Osso Bucco with risotto”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

First time dining at this friendly restaurant which has been in operation for 5 years. Attentive waitstaff, good italian bread, unusual salad dressing made with blended carrot, garlic and rosemary vinegrette was so good we took some home. They offered either pork or lamb osso bucco which was very good but a very small portion of lamb. I must have gotton the short end of the shank!! My din ing companion had chilean sea bass with a side of spinach ravioli. It was so good that she didn't leave any for me to taste. I will return again and ask for a larger portion of meat. Also it's a BYOB.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Bland food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We were extremely disappointed in this restaurant. While the atmosphere inside was great - they had a singer and there was a really fun group of people who had a big table and were clearly livening up the place - the food was horrible. When I saw the food arrive for the table next to us, it looked like those pictures of food that used to appear in cooking mags from the 70's. Or the pictures you see hanging up in Chinese restaurants. When ours came, it was bad. Hubby had the chicken parm. Big thick bad chicken piece with what tasted like jarred sauce and then a piece of cheese slapped on top that wan't even melted. They enticed us with the special appetizer of mozzarella with mango. Well it was the hardest piece of moz we ever tasted with a squeeze of what appeared to be liquid mango on it over lettuce. Ok the lettuce was good. I can't even remember what I had. Was not cheap either. Left there for the great homemade icecream down the street.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
“Lil'bit of Italy in Bradley Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Cute little restaurant on Main St. Not too many tables, maybe 12 or 14. The food was excellent, the service great. The night we were there, there was music which livened the place up.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wall Township, New Jersey
“Great family dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We celebrated Mother's Day here a week early. There were 7 in our party and nobody was disappointed. Brittany the waitress knows all about the food, so ask any questions you need to. We ordered 3 appetizers, the escarole with bean was the best! I wish I could eat it every day! Our entrees included steak, fish, veal, chicken and lamb. Everyone enjoyed the meal and the entertainment. It is always a pleasure to visit the Cerrato's family....they treat you like one of their own!

• Visited May 2012