“Finally, an Italian restaurant that is up to northern nj standards.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of UVA Restaurant & Wine Bar

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Finally, an Italian restaurant that is up to northern nj standards.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

As an Italian girl from the northern nj/NYC area I am quite particular about my Italian food. I've grown up w nonna's homemade pasta and the best restaurants in my area. Pagano's was the first Italian restaurant I was satisfied with upon moving to the shore and visit there often. The seafood has always been fresh, pasta never overcooked. Italian food is simple and too many restaurants around here overdo it with 4 cheeses, a mix of red sauce topped with something else in cream sauce. Pagano's is simple, letting fresh, clean flavors shine through. On my last visit this monto I had calamari and shrimp fra diavoli. It was fresh, light, and spicy. I believe it is an Italian family that owns this restaurant which may be why it is so good -real recipes handed down for generations.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Jersey Shore, New Jersey
“Delicious food and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had dinner on a bustling Saturday night and the food was very good and the service friendly and helpful. The scallops and risotta were very good and they make their own pasta - the homemade gnocchi was tasty. We have been here before and will come back again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Basking Ridge, New Jersey, United States
“Good Food, Bad Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We visited Saturday night, and did not have a great experience. The food is very good, even though it was a bit high priced. The service was terrible, though. It seemed like we were inconveniencing them by dining there. We had reservations, and showed up on time, but it was a bother for our service person to wait on us. She seemed rude and short with her words. All in all, not great value for the price. I would not go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Avon by the Sea, New Jersey
“Used to be my favorite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Uva used to be my favorite place to eat. It is a bit pricey so I looked forward to special times there. They have extensive gluten free choices. The last time I was there, they had gluten free bread for the table but I was told to call ahead about that, which I did,the person taking the reservation said let me check, came back and said it would be ordered. When I arrived I told the server that we had asked for gluten free bread and I got a surly we dont have that. I said I had asked, he said he didnt take the reservation but they dont have that and he checked with the owner and they have no idea about it. So that set the meal off on the wrong note, not that we expected something they didnt have but that we had confirmed that they did. The vegetarian antepasto is still a good value and large enough to be shared by 2-4 as a starter, but keep the out of season pale tomato slices out of it. The gluten free pizza which was large enough to be shared on the last visit was smaller than a personal size this time around. Dinner for two with tip was $90 -which did include two beers and 1 glass of wine.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Asbury, New Jersey
“A new favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I heartily recommend UVA/Pagano's. After a handful of delicious visits to the main dining room, we look forward to the next. And to trying the bar and its own menu. The Tuesday night deal gives us reason to return more often during the week. But at full (and very reasonable) full price, the menu offers wonderful value. So far, we have becoming especially fond of the lobster ravioli, the seared scallops with fava beans over polenta and the ample antipasto choices. The portions are so large we usually leave with doggy bags. The service has been consistently helpful. Mangia.

• Visited September 2012