“You couldn't pay me to eat there again! .” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Jackets required
New Jersey
“You couldn't pay me to eat there again! .”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I'll go there to drink but the food is terrible! We couldn't eat the soup or burgers - just paid and left.

• 1 of 5 stars Food

Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Nice Feel....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I recently tried this local tavern after hearing how great the burgers were. So let me give you the low down from my perspective of why it only got 3 stars. There were 3 of us and we were told we had a 20 minute wait. Ok, we'll hang at the bar, oddly enough there were high tops that they wouldn't allow 3 of us to sit at, "only for 2" they said, "it's a fire hazard to sit 3 there". Odd, but ok, then a party of 3 who arrived after us got a table before us. Hostess screwed up and got our last names wrong. How do you get names wrong when people are listed in order of arrival?? No apologies or admission of making a mistake. We ended up eating at the bar anyway. Ok, now to the food...we had two appetizers, tuna spring role, which was ok at best, and the filet tips wrapped in bacon with gorgonzola cheese, not bad. For dinner two of us burgers which were ok at best. They sounded great on the menu and looked good with huge onion rings on tops of the bun supported by a steak-knife, unfortunately it ended there. We've had much better burgers at The Bernardsville Inn, The Market in Bernardsville and Char in Bridgewater. We did have a chicken caesar salad which wasn't bad. On the plus side the bartender was an extremely nice guy who mixed up some nice martini's. The atmosphere was a very comfortable and had that local tavern feel to it. I'd go back, sit at the bar, have some cocktails and apps and call it a night. I did see people ordering pizza's which looked good, next time I'll give that a try.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Englishtown, New Jersey
“Excellent, Friendly, Comfortable and Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is an excellent, friendly, comfortable neighborhood bar/restaurant, well designed and clean, with TV's showing various sports round the clock and always with consistently good food. Located in a semi historic area it has the feel of a real tavern and a few nice, worn, old buildings around it and across the street on a typical small roadway. Parking can be challenging as their lot is small but there is street parking and always available. Best part is the restaurant/bar area opens up doors to the outside during lunch and on weekends (weather permitting which creates a wonderful atmosphere, nice breeze and makes the dinning area feel much bigger than it is. Menu has a nice variety especially their excellent salads and their bar is very nicely stocked. Servers are always friendly, attentive and relaxed which let's you settle in and enjoy. There is always a manager actively monitoring the dinning area and she is quick to step in when it gets busy to help the staff. I particularly appreciate that since there is nothing worst than having management stand idle while patrons wait. Kudos to her for always doing it!
All-in-all one of my favorite lunch and weekend places to stop in even for a quick beer and a ball game with my friends.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
frenchtown nj
“Plesant suprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I can’t believe that it took a suggestion from a non-local to try the Claremont Tavern. It was one of the best dining experiences I have had this year.

The building has the feel of a friendly neighborhood pub and the bartenders could not have been more helpful or personable. I will be forever grateful to the bartender for suggesting a black and tan (with Guinness floating on Sam Adams cherry wheat). My new favorite drink.

We had an early meal and opted to dine at a table in the bar area (there is also a separate dining room adjacent to the bar) The lunch menu had a varied selection of options that appealed to everyone and the prices made the experience even more enjoyable.

All of our selections were delicious and served promptly. The waiter that we had should be used as the model for waiters in training. Prompt, courteous, knowledgeable and was just attentive enough.

We are planning on returning very soon to try out the Dinner menu options.

Mendham, NJ
“Good food, nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

After living in the area for many years, finally tried Claremont Tavern. We had a yummy salad and pizza dinner. Drinks were also good and a nice tavern like atmosphere. Prices were very reasonable.

• Visited July 2013