“No words to describe the food” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Freehold, New Jersey
“No words to describe the food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have no words to describe the food because we didn't get any food! It was a freezing January evening when we went with friends who invited us to share their groupon. When we got there on probably the coldest night of the winter there was no waiting area inside and no heat lamps outside. We hung out and waited. We were originally told 30 minutes by the owner (I forget her name) Anyway my friend and I waited in the car while our husbands waited in the cold. We left the car after 45 minutes and were told it would be at least another 30 minutes. Our husbands had observed several tables that had finished eating and were just sitting there with empty beer/wine bottles on the table and checks had been paid long before. When my husband said something to the owner after we waited 1.5 hours she said these people come in once a week and pay my electric bill. That was all I had to hear. I wouldn't give them my business if THEY paid me! I am a business owner for 25 years and you never get complacent enough to think that not EVERY customer (if you are good) will be there to come back and pay your electric bill. Rude woman obviously thinks her locals will be loyal forever and she does not need new business. DUMB!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

70% Recommend
New Jersey
“Authentic Cajun & Creole Food in New Jersey!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am a lover of cajun & creole food. I have visited Louisiana, both New Orleans & Cajun country, many times. I have been searching for an authentic Cajun/Creole restaurant in the tri-state area for a long time now. Little did I know there was a great place in my own backyard! Ragin' Cajun is quaint, has FABULOUS food, huge potions, great service & is very reasonably priced! Truly authentic Cajun/Creole cuisine! Get there early & BYOB, the restaurant is quite small, as it is in a house, and they do not take reservations.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Toms River, New Jersey
“Food is Always the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

It's interesting to read about complaints about free parking, tables not always level and no waiting room. It's about the FOOD!!!! We (and many other friends) are fans of this restaurant. The service and food are always excellent. That is why we have been going back year after year after year. Come on down!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toms River, New Jersey
“Eh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We sat in the front room which as the other reviewers state- is as cold as it seems with an artic blast of winter cold everytime the door is opened. The service was good- she was attentive and pleasant. The food itself was a bit disappointing. I expected etoufee to taste more authentic- maybe not enough bay seasoning or the abundance of veggie to make up for lack of shrimp and scallop. The lobster bisque was okay as well. Nothing extraordinary. It had the taste of allspice or nutmeg which was interesting. The jumbo grilled shrimp was good. The veggies(asparagus) was crisp and well cooked. The interior decor overall could use a good cleaning. All and all we wont be going back.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
New Hope
“One Cold Wintry Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I came with groupon to try the food. We were welcomed warmly even with the groupon and seated straightaway this friday night (not always true in some places). Hurricane Sandy had been, and by the time we came in January there was no effect of the hurricane evident within the restaurant. Parking on a side street meant we were very cold by the time we got to the door. The bad news was that a blast of cold air came through with each subsequent arriving patron. The food is very good indeed. However, if you are seeking authentic creole cooking it does come well short of this standard: For instance, gumbo is not made with okra, as the chef apparently does not like the flavor this provides. Now realistically I have tried cajun food outside of New Orleans in several places and it is never as good as in NO. My alligator appetizer was OK,; while my wife's sirloin tips as appetizer were outstanding. I would not go for the alligator again (Patou's alligator in NO still lives fresh in my mind even a decade later). Both our entrees, her chicken pasta dish and my jambalaya were very good. Again do not expect the jambalaya to be authentic creole cooking! Service was quick, friendly and efficient. Clearly a local favorite as many regulars arrived and were greeted. The restaurant represents good tasty food in a cajun style, but with options if you wish to try something else. It therefore is a delicate balance in the kitchen to achieve tasty food within the chefs own 'cajun' style cooking. But for the alligator my wife and I felt this was achieved.

• 4 of 5 stars Food