“Nasty hotel - so gross don't stay there!” 1 of 5 stars

The Belmar Inn
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   112 12th Avenue, Belmar, NJ 07719   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Belmar B&B and Inns
NY
“Nasty hotel - so gross don't stay there!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I felt like I was staying in a dirty hostel...the bathroom in the room was disgusting, I chose not even to shower it was so bad. They only gave us one roll of toilet paper during our stay and we ran out in the middle of the night...no one working there spoke English...it was the biggest waste of $135 and I would have rather slept in my car...or on the beach! GROSS!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I travel alot and also have worked in the hotel industry. For the night they charge $210
I thought this was going to be a CLEAN motel. Boy I was wrong. The people staying there look like crack heads and I didn't feel safe once I arrived at the front desk. I was assigned room 215 while walking towards the room behind the front desk there was this guy putting blankets on a single bed in the middle of the room, which was very odd and strange.

Checked into the room the blinds were damaged and the curtain was half hanging off of the curtain rod. The bathroom had dead bugs and sand in the shower. It smelled like mold in the room and when my friend went to pull back the bed spread and sheets the blanket had blood stains and hair on it. TOTALLY DISGUSTING!!!!!

There were international students hanging out in front of the hotel and it looked like they were here for the summer working at Six Flags Great Adventure.

The board of health in NJ really needs to close down this motel! The owner should be ashamed of himself as you can tell they could care less on how the place looks all they want is the money in there pocket.

Highly recommend don't waste the time or the money going to this place. I ended up checking right out and driving back home which took about an hour to do so. At least my bed in my house is clean. Belmar Inn i am sure has bed bugs in there beds!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

First of all, the positives: The Belmar Inn is half a block from the beach. There was a small refrigerator in the room. But other than that, two small bars of soap and a tube of shampoo in the bathroom, there are no amenities - not even a clock in the room. The people who work there are nice enough: the manager and all of the employees were always pleasant. But it has the feeling of a place that was abandoned, then taken over by a band of students. There seemed to be a lot of college-age people draped over the few pieces of furniture in the lobby with laptops, so they might have wireless internet access, but I can't say for sure.

I love nice hotels, but I can pretty much tough it out almost anywhere - as long as it's clean. This place did not meet that requirement. We had a room on the third floor with a king bed and a pullout single sleeper. Decent limited view of the beach, which is probably why all the windows were open when we arrived. All the furniture matches and looks like it's there on purpose, but the sofabed had clearly broken a long time ago and was tied together with string and bolstered with the cushion from the sofa part. I sat down on it and sunk right down - very dangerous for something most likely to be used by small children. Everything was sticky - phone, TV remote, furniture, windowsills (as I learned when I tried to close the windows to turn on the a/c). The mini-blinds were filthy - and broken in many places. When we got there, the carpeting (which didn't look to be more than a few years old) looked like it hadn't been vacuumed. The bathroom appeared relatively clean - but I made sure to wear flip flops the whole time anyway. The window unit air conditioner wasn't working that well, so my husband pulled out the filter - which was caked with soot and grime. He brought it to the front desk and asked them to clean it. We still all woke up the next day with sore throats and runny noses, which miraculously went away as soon as we got out of there (and we're not people who usually have allergy issues away from home).

The sheets and towels were the consistency of fine and rough grain sandpaper respectively (about what I expected) but the blanket looked looked like they found it in a trash heap - covered with pills, stains and holes. The bedspread was standard issue gross stained hotel bedspread that I folded up and stuck on the top shelf in the closet.

When I asked for the room to be vacuumed, I got a quick response and housekeeping came up right away, but even though I watched her vacuum, the carpet looked the same when she left - probably because the vacuum she was using looked to be circa 1975 or so. I asked her if she could find me a better blanket, and she brought one back that was equally as nasty but too small for the bed. I gave it back and she never brought the original one back - which was fine - we just let the front desk know they should put it back when we left. We also got more towels from the manager on duty when I went down and asked - there were two in the room for 3 of us.

Honestly, I would have checked right out of this place and asked for my money back, but we were on our way to a wedding and had an hour and a half to get changed and get to the ceremony so we didn't have time for drama. We were on a weekday $89/night rate, but if I'd been paying the $200+ this room rents for on the weekends, I would have been furious. After the wedding, we considered driving over an hour to just go home, but decided to stay because I wanted to be at the beach the next day.

The location is the only thing that upgrades The Belmar Inn from "terrible" to "poor" in my review. For the weekday rate, if you just want to be close to the beach, are prepared to bring your own sheets, towels and cleaning products, and aren't picky about where you sleep, go for it. Otherwise, just can't recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Hoboken New jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

i just went down there for a business related meeting. March was not a good month to go to this town as its cold and the town turns into a ghost town!!!
so i spent my rest of the day in the room. it is comfortable and cozy. i liked the location, but it should be right weather to visit.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

Staying by the beach can be iffy but the good reviews here -- and the bad ones for the Belmar Motor Inn -- convinced me to try it. We've never had a problem at the Motor Inn; they were always gruff & no-nonsense but never gave us a hard time.

The Belmar Inn buiding is pretty and just 1/2 block from the beach. The lobby is huge, yet sparse and sterile. Our room on the 2nd floor had a view of the ocean; not an unobstructed view but a view nonetheless. The view was certainly better before the McMansions invaded. We're not big snobs who demand fancy rooms, and certainly didn't expect much from a beach hotel that gets a lot of wear and tear, but it wasn't as clean as it could be (hairs here and there), the paint was stark white in some places giving a hospital feel. The fixtures were not installed professionally so two sides of the glass shower stall didn't meet the track and went floppy, the shower head was jammed into a sloppy cut larger than necessary, and the newish tile floor in the bath was cracked and falling apart in places. There were no hangers on the closet rod.

Some weiner sports dudes had a party in a room above from 2AM. Not the hotel's fault but it showed how poor the ceiling/floor insulation was. We heard every time they walked across the floor, or whatever they were doing up there.

• Liked — Location and view. And it's all in Belmar.
  • Disliked — Nobody at the desk in the morning to check out. Shoddy work on fixtures. Other rooms noise travels.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
quakertown, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

After reading other reviews the extreme diversity intrigued me and so I decided that our family would give it a go. The manager gave us a fantastic deal for a vacation trip to the beach in Aug. I called a week before to confirm our stay. I was delighted to find out that in addition to having cable tv, we would also have a small fridge that would perfectly suit our needs. The staff were pleasant and our room was clean and tidy. Nothing extravagant, but I wasn't expecting extravagant, simply pleasant. They are not exaggerating when they say 1/2 mile from the beach. The walk and the location were perfect for our family of 5 (2 young boys and a 1 year old girl). Wendy, a local from the hotel, was a wealth of knowledge for our dining needs and desire to keep our visit frugal. We will certainly be back and really enjoyed our stay in Belmar.

• Liked — proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Staying at the belmar inn was a wonderfu experience..., from location, friendly staff, to beautiful rooms, service all exceded our expectation.
it is not a 5 star hotel but if you want to spent a day on the beach or enjoy in a night clubs or have a nice family day, this is the best place to stay.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Belmar Inn? Share your experiences!