“Perfect Getaway!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jolly Roger Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Prices are for rooms, adults
Jolly Roger Motel
Save Saved
You added Jolly Roger Motel to your Saves list
5416 South Bay Avenue, Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008-1013   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Beach Haven
“Perfect Getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My Boyfriend took me to LBI for a 1 night stay since he hates the beach! WELL this motel changed his mind and because if this motel he will be taking me back. Lets start with the location! Perfect we were right on the tip of the island so perfect! Beautiful ocean all around and a quick walk across the street to get on that gorgeous beach! Moving along Judy Brad and Butter the owners were the nicest people (and dog) in the world they were so sweet and accommodating they gave us beach passes and told us that even though we were checking out the next day to feel free to stay and enjoy the day and use the shower to clean off before you leave! Now i figured this was just nonsense no hotel motel holiday inn is willing to let guests clean up and whatnot after they check out. we hit the beach which was amazing and quiet and so peaceful. After our day at the beach Judy and Brad recommended some great places to eat and we had a lovely dinner. By the time we got back we were just in time to enjoy the amazing sunset on the roof top patio! The view was breathtaking and even though it was warm out the breeze on the roof kept everything cool. After that we hit the beach and just sat in the cool sand and watched the lights from Atlantic City and counted the stars (my boyfriend is so awesome lol) we went back to our room and it was cozy and clean and led to a huge balcony where you could lay out and relax on. The next day Judy had fresh coffee and coffee cake waiting in the lobby and we hit the beach again, now i thought it was a joke that we could come back and clean up but they told us we could leave our car in the lot and clean up when we were ready to go. when we came back from the beach they even gave us towels and we showered up and headed home. I had so much fun and even my boyfriend that hates the beach and the heat said he had so much fun and we would definitely be coming back! I can’t wait to return and see Judy, Brad and the awesome doggie Butter!!! (Hi Butter!!!!)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My fiancé and I came here for a 3 day birthday getaway. Our review in 1 word - AWESOME! From the staff to the room to the convenience of the beach being right there, we had an AMAZING time. Will totally make this an annual tradition. Could not be happier. Thank you, Dave and Jennie D, NYC

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

My sister and I spent a weekend at the Jolly Rodger.I ;have never been past Beach Haven but I must say that the staff was so inviting and helpful. The end-where the beach meets the bay. We enjoyed a rooftop with chairs and tables to enjoy a glorious sunset,wine,cheese and crackers of course. Our room was clean, fresh, and trust me this is a biggy to me. The best part was when we had to check out, Judy informed us that,not to worry, come off the beach whenever, we have an outdoor shower and changing room. If you need a towel,no problem. Coffee and coffee cake were served in the lobby. Head up to the rooftop enjoy both and start your day.Holgate,it's a great place-quiet,great beach,friendly staff,clean rooms,great nightly pricing, what more could you ask for.
Cindy VG

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I needed to get away and decided to visit Long Beach Island the last weekend in April. Growing up we always stayed in the Ship Bottom area but I recently discovered how great the Beach Haven/Holgate area is. The Jolly Roger is at the end of the island in Holgate. My experience with the owner, Judy, and Brad, Mary Ann and Butter (their awesome dog) was delightful from start to finish. I enjoyed my stay fully. The room was nice, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was large and everything was clean. Having a fridge in the room was a bonus. And nothing can compare to opening the windows at night and falling asleep to the sound of the surf. The beach is across the street making it easy to get up and view the spectacular sunrises. They have a great roof top deck with lounge chairs and another small lower deck with tables and chairs. In the morning there is friendly conversation with the owners and other guests if you choose to stop in the large, welcoming sunlit office for morning coffee. Judy, Brad and Mary Ann all know the island well, so if you have never been, just ask and they can make recommendations for everything. I can't express enough what a wonderful weekend I had and what excellent hospitality they provide. To anyone that is traveling to Long Beach Island for the first time, you need to know Long Beach Island takes pride in keeping it local....local, businesses, local restaurants and local hotel/motels...and the wonderful casual atmosphere of being in the moment, enjoying the little things and a place to stop watching the clock. You can find all of that at the Jolly Roger. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The jolly roger is a sympatic small motel style place. Real clean and well maintain by the owner. We had a comfortable stay it feel like we were back in the family for the summer vacation. The owner and all the staff were very kind and freindly. You go the the Roger for that and for the deck and the nearest beach i ever had from the room. It's about 150 feet from the beach. See the Sunset on the deck wile eating a great pizza with a glass of wine.That's heaven. Had a great time there will always remember.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Garden City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My friend and I booked a last minute labor day weekend at LBI and stayed at the Jolly Roger where the staff could not be nicer, the beach could not be closer, the coffee next door closer or the sound of the waves nearer. While no luxury accommodations, the Jolly Roger provides just what you need for a beach weekend, beach passes, a breezy patio, a bed, a clean room, a shower for your sandy body and a place to park the car.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've now stayed in LBI four times. Each time in a different motel/hotel. If you are staying at a motel that is somewhat reasonable ($150 to $200 per night range) then you have to lower your expectations to adequate or "make do." The number one problem we encounter is that every room we have seen or stayed, all have a all sleeve or window air conditioner that is always very loud and often right on top of the bed. That said, here is my rundown of the Jolly Roger LBI.

LOCATION: Its at the very end of the island just past Beach Haven. A great location to stay. The The beach is right there and it held up quite nice from Sandy. Holgate is quiet and a perfect spot. You get into town to the shops and such in just a few minutes car ride. You can buy a sandwich next door to the hotel which is nice.

HOTEL: Very nice condition with several nice verandas for outside relaxation. The folks running it were very pleasant. The have a first floor rest/changing room which is nice.

ROOM: Most rooms are on the second floor. Our room was had a Queen with a balcony. Seems to recently have been refurbished. New coat of paint, nice carpeting and remodeled bathroom. No musty smell what-so-ever. Room just fits the bed, small dresser, one night table and one chair with a hair of breathing space. Most walls bare. But clean and fresh which is hard to find. The air conditioner was a wall sleeve about a foot from the base of the bed. Unfortunately, It sounded like an outboard motor and kept up up most of the night. The two nice sized windows open, but one did not have a screen and it was still warm and noisy at times so we put the AC on. We would not have stayed in that room another night unless it was cools out. We only booked one night though. There is a ceiling fan, but we did forget to try it at night.

A small 20" old RCA TV sits on and takes up about half the top of the adjacent dresser. This is where these motels simply do not go the little extra mile for comfort and space. The dresser is to the side of the bed so it was not comfortable to watch while lying down. Yet, in front of the bed was an entire empty wall screaming for a flat screen TV. Even a small pedestal TV stand would have made sense to free up the dresser top. In my opinion, the furniture could have been placed or designed in a more practical manner as well with the bed away from the AC. There is a small closet nook with also had a small fridge and microwave sharing its space. The shower was redone with a nice overhead shower head but there was no hose attachment which is always nice to have. Plenty of towels and they give you shampoo and such.

The bed was OK, not too soft and not too hard. Just OK. It appeared to be an older bed and did not strike me as part of the room makeover. The pillows were a bit worn and not fluffy, I'd recommend to bring your own.

You cannot sit on the balcony with the AC on, as it's just way too noisy. At least my unit was. The balcony is a very nice touch, but be aware they are not private, as the all connect to next door rooms. Still nice.

In summary a no frills room. But clean and fresh. They give you beach passes as well. If you hate AC, then it is as good as it gets for the cost. If you must have AC, I cannot speak for the other rooms, if they have better AC units or quieter, but from looks at the other balconies, they appear to have similar units. You can ask me any questions at--
nobullhere6 at AOL (dot com).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Jolly Roger Motel? Share your experiences!