“Just what we needed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jolly Roger Motel and Gifts

We can't find prices for this hotel
Jolly Roger Motel and Gifts
Save Saved
You added Jolly Roger Motel and Gifts to your Saves list
5416 South Bay Avenue, Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008-1013   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Beach Haven
Garden City, New York
“Just what we needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My friend and I booked a last minute labor day weekend at LBI and stayed at the Jolly Roger where the staff could not be nicer, the beach could not be closer, the coffee next door closer or the sound of the waves nearer. While no luxury accommodations, the Jolly Roger provides just what you need for a beach weekend, beach passes, a breezy patio, a bed, a clean room, a shower for your sandy body and a place to park the car.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've now stayed in LBI four times. Each time in a different motel/hotel. If you are staying at a motel that is somewhat reasonable ($150 to $200 per night range) then you have to lower your expectations to adequate or "make do." The number one problem we encounter is that every room we have seen or stayed, all have a all sleeve or window air conditioner that is always very loud and often right on top of the bed. That said, here is my rundown of the Jolly Roger LBI.

LOCATION: Its at the very end of the island just past Beach Haven. A great location to stay. The The beach is right there and it held up quite nice from Sandy. Holgate is quiet and a perfect spot. You get into town to the shops and such in just a few minutes car ride. You can buy a sandwich next door to the hotel which is nice.

HOTEL: Very nice condition with several nice verandas for outside relaxation. The folks running it were very pleasant. The have a first floor rest/changing room which is nice.

ROOM: Most rooms are on the second floor. Our room was had a Queen with a balcony. Seems to recently have been refurbished. New coat of paint, nice carpeting and remodeled bathroom. No musty smell what-so-ever. Room just fits the bed, small dresser, one night table and one chair with a hair of breathing space. Most walls bare. But clean and fresh which is hard to find. The air conditioner was a wall sleeve about a foot from the base of the bed. Unfortunately, It sounded like an outboard motor and kept up up most of the night. The two nice sized windows open, but one did not have a screen and it was still warm and noisy at times so we put the AC on. We would not have stayed in that room another night unless it was cools out. We only booked one night though. There is a ceiling fan, but we did forget to try it at night.

A small 20" old RCA TV sits on and takes up about half the top of the adjacent dresser. This is where these motels simply do not go the little extra mile for comfort and space. The dresser is to the side of the bed so it was not comfortable to watch while lying down. Yet, in front of the bed was an entire empty wall screaming for a flat screen TV. Even a small pedestal TV stand would have made sense to free up the dresser top. In my opinion, the furniture could have been placed or designed in a more practical manner as well with the bed away from the AC. There is a small closet nook with also had a small fridge and microwave sharing its space. The shower was redone with a nice overhead shower head but there was no hose attachment which is always nice to have. Plenty of towels and they give you shampoo and such.

The bed was OK, not too soft and not too hard. Just OK. It appeared to be an older bed and did not strike me as part of the room makeover. The pillows were a bit worn and not fluffy, I'd recommend to bring your own.

You cannot sit on the balcony with the AC on, as it's just way too noisy. At least my unit was. The balcony is a very nice touch, but be aware they are not private, as the all connect to next door rooms. Still nice.

In summary a no frills room. But clean and fresh. They give you beach passes as well. If you hate AC, then it is as good as it gets for the cost. If you must have AC, I cannot speak for the other rooms, if they have better AC units or quieter, but from looks at the other balconies, they appear to have similar units. You can ask me any questions at--
nobullhere6 at AOL (dot com).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I booked a 4 night trip with my 13 year old. I was quoted a price and gave my credit card info. When we arrived, the Manager informed me that the person that booked our room gave us the wrong price and that it was $25 more per night. I was then told that we were free to find another place to stay.(They had my phone number and could have called to let me know but didn't). How nice..that was my clue to leave. I stayed because I promised my son to go fishing and didn't have it in me to look for another place. Good customer service would have been to honor the price I was given. The next 2 mornings, the same woman kept asking me if my son was running wild up and down the stairs late at night. She then kept saying it was him. No way was it him. We fished at night and he was exhausted and fell right out. Ridiculous. We never went back.

Room Tip: Make sure the price you are quoted is the price you pay. Otherwise it was fine.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at the Jolly Roger Motel at the extreme south end of Long Beach Island, right next to the wildlife preserve. Our room, room #1 had five windows all with views of the ocean which is just across the street. The room was comfortable, freshly painted with new carpet. The is a deck outside where we could enjoy breakfast or a glass of wine. Upstairs there is a large rooftop deck which offers spectacular views of both the ocean and bay, and especially wonderful sunsets. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There are fresh pastries and coffee each morning. One very big bonus is that guests are able to book this place for one night, a very rare possibility on LBI. The owners, Judy and Brad couldn't be more helpful and welcoming.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Suffern, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My wife and I wanted a quick getaway and we found the Jolly Roger online and could not have been happier. The motel is clean, quaint, and a few steps from the beach. The owners Judy and Brad, along with the manager Mary-Ann, were extremely cordial and welcoming. Best of all, the price was very reasonable.

The room was comfortable, equipped with a microwave, fridge and AC. You can also open the windows to enjoy the ocean breeze if desired. The decor of the room is also more modern... not a room that looks like it hasn't been updated since the late 70s.

One of the best features about the JR is the roof-top deck. The deck offers a 360 degree view of the lower part of the island allowing you to view the beach and best of all the sun rise and set. Anyone with a camera will love this, along with being only a few steps to the beach.

The motel is about 2 1/2 miles south from the main part of town, which means it's extremely quiet. This has it's advatages and disadvantages depending on what you want.

Overall, we were very happy with the Jolly Roger and will be back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Salida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Awesome! Located at the very southern end of LBI, it is very quite and relaxing. Judy was very cheerful and welcoming. The whole place was indicative of a seashore get away. Bright, clean, and cozy. The personal touches were evident of Judy and Brad's hospitality and pride in the continuation of their family business. This area of LBI was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy and yet the people of this island have rallied together showing their strength and resilience. Come visit LBI and support this motel and community. The ocean waves, sea breeze, and peacefulness will will not disappoint you! Charming seaside motel! We'll be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are on the second floor as the buildings along the shore are built on stilts to survive ri...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Jolly Roger the weekend of the 4th of July, just 2 nights. I called them on Wednesday, luckily they had one room left, it was the simplest one but it didn't matter, I found an available room in LBI!!!

The motel is very well located: next to the beach, very close to the "downtown" (Beach Haven) and on top of everything has an amazing rooftop with chairs and tables where you can enjoy the sunset even better than in a crowded rooftop bar. In the morning you have coffee and sweet buns, which is nice. Overall the vibe of the motel is cool because the owners (Judy and co) are very nice people. This hotel is perfect for a couple in a getaway.

So why the sad ending? It seems that the housekeeper (the owner, Judy) while doing our room threw a bag where I had my "road-kitchen"... all those elements that you need while traveling: knifes, coffee, milk, different openers, sugar, chopping board (Yes, we love picnics!!!) but the act of unintentionally throwing it wasn't as disappointing as the attitude of the recepctionist: just one simple sorry and a "If you'd have told us before..." hahaaaa hilarious! So it's my fault? Ok. Rule nr 1 of housekeeping: you never throw things that aren't in the trash can.

Conclusion: beautiful motel, I highly recommend it but be careful with your stuff and don't accept room nr 9 if there is other option, it is veeeeery noisy!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 9
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Jolly Roger Motel and Gifts? Share your experiences!