“Proof that Nice People Still Exist and that Customer Service is not Dead” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lorry's Island End Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lorry's Island End Motel
Save Saved
You added Lorry's Island End Motel to your Saves list
23 Washington Avenue, Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008   |
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Beach Haven
New York City, New York
“Proof that Nice People Still Exist and that Customer Service is not Dead”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

A co-worker recommended this motel to my husband and we have never been happier. After not having a vacation as a family for over 6 years, we were desperately in need of one. LBI is my husband's favorite place in the world and while his family had been renting houses on the island for years, we could not afford to do so.

We (me, hubby,4yr old daughter) booked an efficiency suite at the Lorry with two rooms (slept 6) and like all rooms it included a full sized fridge and a microwave. There are gas grills available to all guest in the courtyard as well. The room was spotless and I was impressed to see that they even used mattress covers on their beds- a must in an effort to keep beds clean.

The Lorry Motel is affordable and comfortable. The owner Bill understands what true customer service is all about and while this is a no frills-motel, it is perfect for families with children looking to get away for a while. From the amazing hospitality of the staff (Erica and Steve) to the spacious and clean rooms, we were amazed and just how well this motel worked for us.

Surprisingly, the friendliness of the guest was as memorable as the motel itself. We met many amazing people there and spent most nights chatting in the courtyard with other guests. Bill's friendly personality no doubt sets the tone for the guests. In honor of a guest who made the 30 hour bus ride out to the Island and stayed at the hotel, Bill through a BBQ for all the guests. In addition, unlike most motels, the Lorry offers a continental breakfast that starts at 9 and continues to 11am; Who want's to get up at 7 for bagels? It is this kind of attention to customer satisfaction that will keep us coming back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

I just returned from a stay at Lorry's Island End Motel and had a wonderful time. There are very few motels on the quiet peaceful Holgate end of LBI and that is where in my opinion the best beaches are. It is one block from the Southern End of LBI where the wildlife preserve is. It is only a short drive to the shppong, dining, nightlife, and amusements in Beach Haven. I could walk the trails or along the beach there for miles. Even though the motel is quite old, it it well maintained by a wonderful and friendly staff. The courtyard area is lovely with its Key West charm. I met many nice people in the coutyard area and in and about the motel. Much more friendly a place than many other places I have stayed at. I love to watch the Sunrise and called the desk to see if they knew what time it was and they went online and looked it up for me, They even had continental Breakfast. They even have an enclosed outside shower and changing area you can use if you want to stay the rest of the day after you check out. The price was much less expensive than any other motel I contacted. Will stay thereagain when I go to LBI!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Elmwood Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Lorry's Island End is a different experience. There is no daily cleaning (unless you request it), but the staff (Steve & Erica) are VERY helpful and personable. The rooms are clean, the full fridge is great. The cross-breeze is heavenly! Rainy days are tough, but they always are when @ the shore. Grills are very convenient. If you're on a budget & want a few days @ the shore, this place is great!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Let me start by saying that Mr. Lorry is a very sweet and gracious man. He has a laid-back manner and really loves LBI. I'll leave my positive feedback first - the courtyard is well-maintained any my daughter loved the sandbox. The motel is a quick walk to the beach. It was the quietest place I've ever stayed even though it was at full capacity. And the bagels for breakfast were delicious - not the store-bought freezer kind I was expecting. I'm sorry to say that we had to leave early because our room was infested with bed bugs. Our sheets, which were crisp white when we checked in were stained with characteristic blood dots after sleeping there for two nights. I'm glad that I saw a baby bedbug crawl across the comforter on my bed - otherwise I may have assumed that the blood was from our scratched mosquito bites. Upon telling Mr. Lorry what happened, he was prompt and professional in his response. I told him that I was leaving and he refunded me for the days we cancelled. He told me the exterminator would be coming in the afternoon. Bed bugs are a nightmare. I did 15 loads of laundry upon my return home and it looks like a few came home with us anyway. I'm in the process of having my house exterminated. Bed bugs are an increasingly common problem everywhere - so I don't blame Mr. Lorry and I appreciate what he did. But I think motels/hotels should be required to use bedbug proof box spring and mattress covers like the ones I am now purchasing for my home.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
LorrysMotel, Owner at Lorry's Island End Motel, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor,

This is my 21st year as the owner of Lorry’s Island End Motel. Lorry’s is a clean motel and we have thousands of customers. I am glad this problem was brought to my attention so we could resolve it. I called Terminix to come in and spray and they explained to me that this is not a cleanliness issue, it is a worldwide problem. They recommended we put protective covers around our mattresses and box springs, which we did. Also, we now bring Terminix in on a regular basis to spray. Thank You!
Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

As one of several stays at Lorry's this season, this was during the "heat wave" in July, but I couldn't have been at a better place. There were ocean breezes,the water was comfortable, no mosquitoes and only occasional flies at the beach (the most insect -free visit in the last 10 years!). The Motel was as usual -attentive service from the staff,very clean & amazingly sand-free rooms, a decent continental breakfast and comfortable central air. I am looking forward to my next stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I called the motel for pricing comparison, the manager was very friendly, and offered a deal that was too good to pass. Since I was driving from MD, his direction was helpful. Concerned by the storms in three states, I asked about the weather on long beach island. He promised a sunny day upon arrival, and it was true, due to the special geographic location of the island. The staff bent over backward to call supermarkets in the area to find my favorite yogurt; they hooked me up with a terrific surfing teacher for a lesson which was so much fun!
Being close to the ocean was very relaxing. Staying at Lorry's made it even better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Campbell Hall, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

If you are interested in a smaller motel with a hands-on owner, that offers more than one would expect for very reasonable rates, at the southern end of Long Beach Island, out of the more heavily populated areas, and is only a block from the beach - then Lorry's might be the place for you. Ideal for the budget traveler - they have refrigerators and microwaves in every room, barbecue grills & picnic tables in the courtyard - you can save money by doing your own cooking. And who would expect a continental breakfast to be included in the deal, saving even more money? We enjoyed the peace and quiet, the clothesline for hanging our wet suits, the bagels & coffee in the morning. Definitely a place we would come back to.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Lorry's Island End Motel? Share your experiences!